By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

The last gen console I own is the WiiU and from all of my games the most overrated one is Call of Duty Black Ops 2, glad I only payed 5 euros for it.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Smash 4 for me. The lack of a proper single player mode and downgrade in presentation makes the game feel small and forgettable compared to the other games in the series. Every other game has something to come back to and something that defines its identity. Smash 4 doesn't. It's the 'also-ran' Smash Bros.

Red Dead Redemption 2, it's tedious nowhere near a 10/10 or even 8/10 game. First RDR is far better.

Would probably added TLOU2 if i'd played it

Zombie9ers said:

Every Mario and Zelda game released over the past 20 years. It’s the same games over and over again with incremental improvements each time. It’s like the annual Madden games with the next roster updates- but instead of waiting a year you have to wait 3-4 years for the next one.

They look hardly any different from what they looked like on 64 when they first moved to 3D:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGStLP55zBs

So you're using ONE youtube video comparing 64 and Odyssey (which admittedly share similarities in terms of sandbox style, but otherwise are completely different) to back up your non-point of Mario and Zelda games being the same for the past 20 years? You can't tell me you think Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time feel similar. Or Mario Galaxy and Mario 64 are the same damn game. What about Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild? You're kidding right? What an egregiously horrible post that egregiously ignored the OP's premise to boot. Come back when you can stay on topic 

Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Errr. No, it means you aren't interested enough, which is ok. But to know whether something is obwrrqtes you not you need to experience that said thing, otherwise is nothing but prejudice

Prejudice against games is again a non-issue  they are just entertainment after all. I have a strong prejudice against shooters, but I can't call any shooter overrated if I haven't actually played it in first place

Disagree. You don't need to do something yourself in order to judge it.

You don't need to get shot to know that getting shot is bad, just like you don't need to play a game to know that it's good/bad. It does help, but there are also other ways to figure that out.

I agree somewhat, especially since you can go on twitch and spend hours watching play throughs of various games. Though Curl's list was very long, I think that's what made it seem disingenuous. How can you judge so many things harshly without dipping a toe into at least a few of them? 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Errr. No, it means you aren't interested enough, which is ok. But to know whether something is obwrrqtes you not you need to experience that said thing, otherwise is nothing but prejudice

Prejudice against games is again a non-issue  they are just entertainment after all. I have a strong prejudice against shooters, but I can't call any shooter overrated if I haven't actually played it in first place

You don't need to get shot to know that getting shot is bad, just like you don't need to play a game to know that it's good/bad. It does help, but there are also other ways to figure that out.

The meaning of thinking something is overrated is the you don't find the rate/score of that thing appropriate, hence you need to make your personal rate for that thing. How can you rate something you don't know? 

Of course you need to experience the thing yourself to know if it's good or not

Otherwise is just plain prejudice and wishful thinking 

Or worse, it's construct your opinion on someone's opinion 

About your argument 

Getting a shot is bad based on the consequences of it. Objectively you will have your leg hurted, that's bad (well most people will agree that it's bad)

Gaming is a subjective experience and your opinion is  not complete until it goes down to your own physique 

You can rate objective things in a game as well, if the game has stable framerates or not, you don't have to play to know that 

You can also rate subjective things, like graphics. You can figure out the graphics only watching gameplay for instance and then state that you find the graphics or the story overrated 

You can listen the soundtrack, and then call the soundtrack overrated 

But to judge the game as a package, the game itself, the only way I can think of is to playing it yourself 

mZuzek said:

Celeste

^ this.

Played BoTW on a WiiU, its good but its not a "10/10 best game ever made" to me atleast.

Im surprised at people mentioning Persona 5, and GoW, HZD in here.
Those games in dont deserve to be on "overrated game" list imo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 December 2020

Hiku said:

Not sure how to classify game as overrated. Is that just "I didn't enjoy it as much as most people?"

Because that is probably my fault. Not the game's..

I don't think it needs to be anyone's fault 

But yes, the definition is that you dont find the praise, awards and scores the game received accurate

For instance, I find even 2D Mario U/Deluxe overrated not because people call it GOTY material, far from that, people call it very underwhelming 

Still, it got a 84 (80 for Switch version) on Metacritic and for me low-70 is the score that really makes the game justice 

Ultrashroomz said:

Shovel Knight

I played Shovel Knight on release.

It's a good game, but I have no idea why people praise it that much.

Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

A person saying a game is overrated though is claiming that reviewers who have actually spent considerable hands on time with the game, are wrong. So in that instance you might look for confirmation of their understanding and exposure to the game. Is their opinion based entirely on watching video? Have they spent a reasonable amount of time playing the game? Do they even own the system? Do they have a very obvious post history of slamming a particular platform and their post is about as subtle as a piano falling out a window?

Simply 'good' or 'bad' often falls more in line with common opinion and reviews.