By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

Every Mario and Zelda game released over the past 20 years. It’s the same games over and over again with incremental improvements each time. It’s like the annual Madden games with the next roster updates- but instead of waiting a year you have to wait 3-4 years for the next one.

They look hardly any different from what they looked like on 64 when they first moved to 3D:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGStLP55zBs

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Unlike some who pick games from the pltforms they dislike and didnt even played i say the most overrated games this past gen are:

This is really annoying me on this thread

I have no problem of people trashing games I love (like you did with BOTW) as long these people at least played them 

Zombie9ers said:

Every Mario and Zelda game released over the past 20 years. It’s the same games over and over again with incremental improvements each time. It’s like the annual Madden games with the next roster updates- but instead of waiting a year you have to wait 3-4 years for the next one.

They look hardly any different from what they looked like on 64 when they first moved to 3D:

One of the worst takes I have ever read. Your post is a farce. You don't like them and that's fine but everything you said is factually wrong.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Overrated- Witcher 3

Underrated - Days Gone

Don’t know

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network

The Witcher 3 for me. Exploring was fun but combat was very mediocre. Too much loot, not really any point in crafting stuff since you find new stuff all the time. While some side quests were awesome there also was tons of filler with the map littered with repetitive ? marks. I didn't enjoy the very restrictive parts you had to play as Ciri and by the end I didn't care about the main story anymore, was glad it was over. I enjoyed the story more in TW2.

Turns out CDPR was simply overrated.

Eh, most underrated would mean I gave a shit what others think. So I can only compare to my own excitement before, so the most disappointing for me was Borderlands 3. The second one was much more interesting.

Also, why don't people like the awesomeness that is Dragon Quest Builders 2 more?

Last edited by Mnementh - on 27 December 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Zombie9ers said:

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this is plain wrong - every Mario and Zelda games being the same!? Just look at them and you know this isn't true. Ok admittedly the New Super Mario Bros games are basically all the same but the 3D ones going from Sunshine to Galaxy(s) to 3D World to Odyssey all offer their own formula and offer a new take to 3D platformers.

If anything this is even more untrue with the Zelda games, BOTW radically changed the linear format that had been present in the past few Zeldas to make a fully open world game that can be completed in whatever order the gamer chooses - you don't even need to do the objectives they offer.

I'm going to assume you've either not played enough of them or you just want to bash 2 popular series for the sake of it.

EDIT: Forgot to add my own pick. I'm a Nintendo gamer and make no secret of that so I'll pick something from a series I properly know (unlike the bloke above) and say Bayonetta 2. It was so bigged up on Wii U (mainly because that system needed a win) but I really struggled to get into it. Action games aren't my specialty though so that's probably a big reason why.

Last edited by gord352 - on 27 December 2020

Horizon ZD - I got the plat, it’s a solid Ubiclone nothing more. Solid 7 out of 10.

Last of Us II - Again, solid, not spectacular. Say what you want about the narrative, but the gameplay did not evolve at all from the original. Same shit stealth, terrible AI.

Mario Odyssey - Never been a fan of 3D Mario. Bored me quickly.

RDR2 - Looked gorgeous on my Scorpio but as others have said, there’s too much here. Still say it’s the most amazing looking game ever.

Spider-Man - Again, got the plat. But it’s another soulless Ubi clone to me, with some Batman combat thrown in. Probably the worst example I can think of when it comes to bloating a game with shitty filler content.

Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is really annoying me on this thread

I have no problem of people trashing games I love (like you did with BOTW) as long these people at least played them 

I don't think it's necessary to have actually played a game to think it's overrated. If loads of people are ranting and raving over a game while somebody else looks at it and isn't even interested enough to try it out then that surely proves that to them at least it is overrated, no?

To me something like Fortnite is incredibly overrated due to how insanely popular it is. I've never played it, but I've seen the game and just don't get why it's so popular, hence why I think it's overrated. I don't need to actually play it to think that.

Errr. No, it means you aren't interested enough, which is ok. But to know whether something is obwrrqtes you not you need to experience that said thing, otherwise is nothing but prejudice

Prejudice against games is again a non-issue  they are just entertainment after all. I have a strong prejudice against shooters, but I can't call any shooter overrated if I haven't actually played it in first place