By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

Red Dead Redemption 2 is hands down the most overrated game I have ever played. The gameplay is slow and boring, and the way everything has to be animated only drags it out even more. The story is ok, but I stopped playing at chapter 4. It became a chore to keep going, and a game should never feel like that.

I would say the only true positives the game has is the characters and visuals. Everything else is meh at absolute best IMO.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
mZuzek said:

Celeste

^ this.

Played BoTW on a WiiU, its good but its not a "10/10 best game ever made" to me atleast.

Im surprised at people mentioning Persona 5, and GoW, HZD in here.
Those games in dont deserve to be on "overrated game" list imo.

BotW is certainly as good or better than all three of those games you mentioned IMO.  For me, only Persona 5 out of the three can hold a candle to it (and I say that as someone who loves GoW and HZD).  I find it funny how you feel the need to go out of your way to defend them in the same breath of downplaying BotW.

The thing is, everyone can like or dislike whatever they want.  GoW, Persona 5, and HZD fits on the list every bit as much as BotW because everything here is subjective.  Trying to say they don't belong on a list only serves to make you look bias, and weakens the impact of your own candidate for the thread.  There are valid reasons to call BotW overrated, and there are just as many for the games you mentioned.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

God of War - I expected an epic journey like, you know,  the previous games, but this one is a journey mostly through strange corridors and platforms, the game world feels very small because you go back and forth, and my biggest problem with it is that it doesn't feel like a real place. The story makes no sense. The characters are zzzzz. The menus are a big mess, I was mostly trying to ignore them lol It baffles my mind why this game is so praised, haven't they played the previous GoWs?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

TLOU2

Out of the games I tried, I found Bloodborne, Nier: Automata, and The Last Guardian to be disappointing.  All of those games have gotten some hype buy not the really extreme over the top kind of hype.

I haven't played RDR2, but I've played enough Rockstar games at this point that I'm pretty sure it's actually the most overrated game.  Maybe I'll pick it up for $5-$10 at some point and see if they can change my mind.

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

How is nier overrated? Game has an awesome soundtrack, unique story and great boss fights. The game is made by PlatinumGames, all their games have fluid awesome gameplay. You say it's "great" , yet somehow most overrated, come on man.

Games that you feel are great can still feel overrated to you. At that point, you might argue that it's a bit too pedantic to consider them "overrated", it's kind of anal. And I'd agree, but that doesn't change the fact that they still feel overrated to you. Like for me, I think Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata are both great games, and while I think Breath of the Wild is a bit overrated, I'd actually probably say that in the way that both fanbases talk about each game, Automata is more overrated to me than Breath of the Wild - despite the actual critics heavily favoring the latter over the former. What I hate about Breath of the Wild is mostly just that you can't critique parts of the game without the fanbase defending it to heavens and saying that you just didn't understand the point behind xyz element being half-baked. When it comes to what people actually praise about that game though, I think I actually largely agree and even parts that I might disagree on (the shrines and the weapon durability system) are more of a toss-up and are more about fixing small parts of implementation than the actual ideas or mechanics themselves. Nier Automata on the other hand is the kind of game where I find there might be less problems I have with it overall, or maybe more accurately those flaws individually don't wear on me as much as they do in Breath of the Wild, but there's a lot of tiny things that kind of accumulate, and worse a lot of them are things the fanbase actively hypes up. 

Like ... the combat. It's just ok, 9S makes it better but that's about it. I think it's frustrating how good the combat is during scripted segments, like the opening level which is actually legitimately somewhat hard and easy to fuck up on even on normal. Only for the game to wipe the rug from under you and make 99% of the combat in wide open areas where there is no challenge. Even later bosses are, somehow, easier or at least less intense than a fucking throwaway construction robot arm that the game opens with. While I love PlatinumGames, I think people fall back on the "but but but PlatinumGames made it!" point way too much in regards to Nier Automata. Yes, PlatinumGames made it, yes, they're a great developer and yes, the game's combat feels better than most action RPGs out there. That's not saying a lot, however. If anything, Nier Automata shows that implementation is often more important than form, as I think games like Dark Souls actually have a better implementation of their combat despite having worse combat overall. The movement is a love/hate it sort of thing, I really like how much weight there is, but that also means that you have to commit to your movements a lot more and coming out of an air jump just feels sluggish as all hell. The combat gimmick of switching between three different types of gameplay is a novelty that eventually wears thin, which isn't good because the game's "actual" length is closer to 45-55 hours if you want to finish the main story and do some sidequests. The combat also has no depth to it pretty much at all, despite there actually being a lot of unique animations that the player can use that will never help them in battle or be important. The saving grace for me was that I didn't start experimenting with the chip system until hours into the second route, which adds a lot of cool effects and is probably one of the coolest implementations of psuedo-RPG elements in what's mostly an action game. Even the story is something where, while I really really like it, I think some of the praise of it is a bit odd. I get the distinct feeling  that a lot of Automata's fans have just never played a weird game before or have never watched a weird film before, because while it does a lot of interesting things, nothing is particularly mindblowing. It's still really really good, mind you, just not amazing all the time. The closest it gets to that is the "true ending" because of the idea of execution of story through gameplay, the backstory of 9S kind of being implied in certain sidequests and the story basically being a metaphor for

Spoiler!
how holy wars throughout history are essentially no different from programming A.I. to fight on meaninglessly for one entity that doesn't exist to extinguish the followers of another entity which does not exist.

But that's over the course of 45-55 hours of content. Not sure how I feel about the need to read up on cross-media material to get all of it, though, think I'm kind of negative on that aspect. 

Even with the music, while I love the soundtrack and think that it has some of my favorite themes in gaming (particularly Copied City, one of the best songs ever), some of the songs the fans really really like are just ok to me. Carnival theme being a good example. 

Automata is definitely one of the best games of this generation for me, but then again, I think this generation has been pretty weak. If you want a game that has combat that feels great and fast and don't care about implementation of difficulty or enemy design, something like Dragon's Dogma would serve you way better as an ARPG than Automata, though, which is where I feel a disconnect from the fans of the game (and I played Automata about a year earlier than Dragon's Dogma, mind you). If you want a game that is quintessential at making the RPG elements impact the action elements a lot, play one of the Tales Of games from the 2000's. If you want a game that basically perfects the "jack of all trades" concept, play Dark Souls which is somehow the best mashup of a leveling system which actually matters, combat which is weighty and requires memorization of boss patterns, and a Metroidvania with an everchanging world all in one package. If you want a game that's weird and cool with a great OST but often isn't particularly great in any individual department, play Nier Automata which just doesn't work quite as well as a jack-of-all-trades game should. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 27 December 2020

melbye said:

Red Dead Redemption 2, it's tedious nowhere near a 10/10 or even 8/10 game. First RDR is far better.

Would probably added TLOU2 if i'd played it

RDR2 is great for exploration and as a boating simulator. The story missions are badly designed, complete opposite to the open world mechanics. Don't stray from the script one inch or retry. The story didn't grab me much either and I avoided the camp like the plague since you can only walk through it at a glacial pace if you even get near the place. Add a completely broken bounty system and what you have left is a wilderness hiking / exploration / hunting sim. It was amazing at that part. The story and progression in the first one was indeed better. I still remember most of the story from the first one, second one not so much.

I played TLOU2 and yep, you can add it. I lost interest halfway through. It looks amazing and for me the story is great (at least for as far as I got). Well done, good pacing, gives you the time to explore in between. However what lets it down is the AI and combat. It's just not all that fun to play. It's another one of those games where the enemies are simply obstacles hindering me from enjoying the exploration and story part of the game.

Here's an example of the AI

My partner apparently has infinite ammo yet never manages to hit. Enemy will only go after me, partner won't give me a single bullet. It's just so stupid.

My firts pick would be The Last of Us Part II, nothing truly new or relevant to offer, trying to become cheap Hollywood wannabe drama narrative.

I say i would agree with most picks on the list of curl-6 except for  Persona, Fire Emblem, Read Dead II and kinda animal crossing, that they are overhyped by their fanboys doesn't mean they aren't good games, and the press doesn't inflate them to the Last of Us and Death Stranding Levels:

curl-6 said:

The Last of Us Part II

Fortnite

Death Stranding

Among Us

Persona 5

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Overwatch

Sekiro

Celeste

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Red Dead Redemption II

Undertale

Overwatch. - Game released with such minimal content at a full AAA price, with graphics that were pretty average, favoring performance.
Game released on the 24th of May 2016 and in a whole YEAR they added Ana, Sombra and Orisa... And released Eichenwalde and Oasis maps.

Took an entire year to add 3 characters and two maps to regular gameplay modes on a game that released with minimal content. Bravo; Blizzard, Bravo.

Ironically the excuse I heard from Blizzard/other gamers is Blizzard will add "heaps" of new content to flesh out the gameplay and story, which just hasn't really materialized to any big degree, just a small trickle here and there.

It's actually pretty sad, because the Gameplay is actually super enjoyable, the music and audio is top notch and the art-style is blatantly charming, could have been game of the generation if it just wasn't light on content and story.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Animal Crossing NH and Zelda BOTW