By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game of the past gen?

Doctor_MG said:

For me it is Horizon: Zero Dawn. I think it's a technically good game (and beautiful graphically), but not much differs from a standard ubisoft game. The way you increase your inventory space by hunting animals for parts, the leveling up tree, enemy encampment capturing (including disarming alarm systems), towers, collectibles, etc...I just don't think it would be as highly praised and brought up if it was a ubisoft published game.

Add all this to a very non-interactible world. It looks pretty but everything is so...static. even climbing is just so stiff and static...anyway that's my opinion.

I agree with everything you wrote. The only game I would put higher is Dragon Age Inquisition, a lot of the elements that made Mass Effect Andromeda worse is in Inquisition. In regards to this it would be the pointless quests that is designed to be busy work,  the characters are bland, and most of the game is just spent on "building up your base". 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The Last of Us Part II

Fortnite

Death Stranding

Among Us

Persona 5

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Overwatch

Sekiro

Celeste

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Red Dead Redemption II

Undertale

That’s quite a lot of games from just one generation to call “overrated.”

How many of them did you actually play?

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 27 December 2020

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

The solid 7 BOTW.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, I just finished Ori and the Blind Forest right now and I have to say, I think I found the new most overrated game of the generation!

(I'll post a more in-depth reply later)

Zelda Breath of the wild

Red Dead Redemption 2, this one I really liked but there were too much hype about it, prefer the first one much better.

Cyberpunk 2077, playing it on PS5, the physics and AI in this one are mediocre/bad.

I actually played all 3 games mentioned above!

Around the Network

Overwatch

This game definitely doesn't deserve 90+ for what it offers.

Uncharted 4. Didn't enjoy the combat at all. Especially the gunplay. Loved the other Uncharted games.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 December 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Uncharted 4

Bought it day one back in 2016 and to this day still can't tell how I feel about it. The narrative they went for had a lot of potential but it felt like they couldn't find a balance between wanting to make it more serious but knowing they had to still keep the fun action romp elements Uncharted was known for, to the point where some decisions seemed like they were in place just to add more drama to the story. Nate has literally been on tons of adventures with Elena at this point but suddenly it's "she won't understand" just so we can get to the scene where she finds out. Sam and Nate spend half the fucking game looking for the goddamn island after solving so many puzzles but THEN Nate is suddenly like "oh man what if this isn't real though and we need a real way to save you". The introduction of Sam Drake ruined the franchise imo, not only is he a lame ass character to begin with but it also felt like the game was constantly beating you over the head with "and did we mention Nate has a brother!!" every fucking 30 minutes as a result of his inclusion.

The gameplay, while still fun and entertaining imo, was also beginning to grow stale by this point: explore and climb some shit, fight enemy encounter, solve a puzzle, have an occasional big setpiece, repeat and the ways they tried to change it up just didn't feel like enough. Introducing a grappling hook was a cool concept but I don't think did enough to make it feel different (and also leads to the question of why didn't he use this in the previous games if this was something he knew how to use the entire time, but I don't hold that against them as that's basically impossible to take into account), introduce those bigger areas to explore and drive around in like Madagascar which were ultimately the same exact thing but just in a bigger environment: drive around, do a puzzle, fight the enemies when they show up, repeat and if anything feel like they were there just to stretch it out even more. Then they even had some useless shit like the dialogue "options" in cutscenes which just felt like they were searching for anything new to add.

I haven't played the game in a hot minute so this is all just what I can think of off the top of my head, but if I wanted to I could write an entire thing about my conflicting feelings with this game.  I basically liked the game up until it hit the Scotland segment, and from then on it's just downhill. Graphics were excellent obviously, music was also still just as great, and the multiplayer is one of my favorites, but the singleplayer was disappointing as hell. I did like Nadine tho. I still love Uncharted as a franchise, but Uncharted 2 is still the peak, and having played The Lost Legacy a few months ago which was even more bland I really think it just needs a long break at this point.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 27 December 2020

The Last of Us Part 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Breath of the Wild for me. Still an excellent game, but it's not worthy of being called the greatest game of all time. It's not even the best game of its own release year, far from it. There are at least four games from 2017 alone I enjoyed more than BotW.