By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's Official Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Vote Here!

I would like to see Immortals Fenyx Rising as an option for overall game of the year, it is great.

And I have a question: How is the policy on early access games? The reason I ask: I really like the Baldur's Gate III early access. I would totally get it, if it is not available for voting, because it is early access. But it would suck if it not is up for voting once released (hopefully next year), because it deserves to be in the running.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
mZuzek said:

lol

What's funny? Go ask 100 gamers if they have heard of Transistor, Pyre, and Bastion and I suspect 90-99 of them will say no. Is there some other big game of theirs I'm unaware of? Those three are the ones advertised on Supergiant Games website.

I cant say much about Transistor, but im pretty sure Pyre and Bastion are known games. 

I voted but I'd also like "Best game for blah platform" award.

I voted FFVIIR as my GoTY. Would have been Cyberpunk if the game wasn't so buggy.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jpcc86 said:
Dulfite said:

What's funny? Go ask 100 gamers if they have heard of Transistor, Pyre, and Bastion and I suspect 90-99 of them will say no. Is there some other big game of theirs I'm unaware of? Those three are the ones advertised on Supergiant Games website.

I cant say much about Transistor, but im pretty sure Pyre and Bastion are known games. 

I'm a lifelong gamer who knows nothing about any of these three games. As of 2017, only 5 million copies were sold across all of Supergiant Games. Hades absolutely was there big intro to people's attention.

Dulfite said:
Jpcc86 said:

I'm a lifelong gamer who knows nothing about any of these three games. As of 2017, only 5 million copies were sold across all of Supergiant Games. Hades absolutely was there big intro to people's attention.

No, it wasn't. Bastion is literally one of the most acclaimed and popular indie games of all time. You might not know about it simply because it was kind of part of the "first wave" of consistently popular indie games (obviously impactful indie games existed long before 2011, but the late 2000's-early 2010's is when that became a trend with big eyes on it). But that doesn't mean it wasn't a huge success. It sold 500k units in just over 5 months at a time when indie games just simply didn't do that. The game sold 3 million copies in about 3.5 years, which actually means it outpaces stuff like Shovel Knight which did 2.65 million in 5 years and 2 months. Even the very fast sales pace of Hades is actually a bit exaggerated, as the one million units sold a few days after launch include about 700k sales from when the game was in early access ... for an entire year. And the only place I can find that "5 million sales by 2017" figure is on Supergiant's website, but the thing is ... it's on a FAQ page for Pyre, which hadn't released at the time of the page's creation. In other words, it's saying there's 5 million sales across 2 games, meaning probably around 1.5-1.75 million of those were of Transistor, leaving about 3.5-3.25 million of those to Bastion. I don't know about you, but nearly 2 million sales for your second game isn't bad as an indie developer, especially after only 3 years. Again, that's at a similar pace to Shovel Knight. 

Yes, it's no Minecraft, but it's not like Supergiant games have never been .... well .... "Supergiant" in the indie segment of the industry. It's just that, Transistor and Pyre were not quite as big as Bastion. But they are a big name in the industry, by far. Hades is definitely a lot of people's introduction to them, but you could say the same for any game that brings in a lot of sales for any company, even established ones. Pokemon brings in new fans every year.

If you don't think Supergiant were big before Hades, you just don't know indie sales well, period. "Lifelong gamer" or not. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Dulfite said:

No, it wasn't. Bastion is literally one of the most acclaimed and popular indie games of all time. You might not know about it simply because it was kind of part of the "first wave" of consistently popular indie games (obviously impactful indie games existed long before 2011, but the late 2000's-early 2010's is when that became a trend with big eyes on it). But that doesn't mean it wasn't a huge success. It sold 500k units in just over 5 months at a time when indie games just simply didn't do that. The game sold 3 million copies in about 3.5 years, which actually means it outpaces stuff like Shovel Knight which did 2.65 million in 5 years and 2 months. Even the very fast sales pace of Hades is actually a bit exaggerated, as the one million units sold a few days after launch include about 700k sales from when the game was in early access ... for an entire year. And the only place I can find that "5 million sales by 2017" figure is on Supergiant's website, but the thing is ... it's on a FAQ page for Pyre, which hadn't released at the time of the page's creation. In other words, it's saying there's 5 million sales across 2 games, meaning probably around 1.5-1.75 million of those were of Transistor, leaving about 3.5-3.25 million of those to Bastion. I don't know about you, but nearly 2 million sales for your second game isn't bad as an indie developer, especially after only 3 years. Again, that's at a similar pace to Shovel Knight. 

Yes, it's no Minecraft, but it's not like Supergiant games have never been .... well .... "Supergiant" in the indie segment of the industry. It's just that, Transistor and Pyre were not quite as big as Bastion. But they are a big name in the industry, by far. Hades is definitely a lot of people's introduction to them, but you could say the same for any game that brings in a lot of sales for any company, even established ones. Pokemon brings in new fans every year.

If you don't think Supergiant were big before Hades, you just don't know indie sales well, period. "Lifelong gamer" or not. 

And most gamers aren't indie gamers so I stand by my 90%+ opinion. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I don't want am argument so I'm out.

Dulfite said:

And most gamers aren't indie gamers so I stand by my 90%+ opinion. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I don't want am argument so I'm out.

Yea but ... you're saying those games are unheard of relative to Hades ... which is still an indie game, so that's a futile point for this type of discussion. Even though it will most likely be their most successful game, even if it outsells their most successful title by 1.5-3 million copies, it would still be an indie game and not even that out of the realm of the titles they already created sales wise. So your logic doesn't add up. Regardless, if you won't want to argue, just don't say wrong things.  

Well i know i didn't play the game this year but Yakuza Like A Dragon, The series needs more love.

Dulfite said:

Yea but ... you're saying those games are unheard of relative to Hades ... which is still an indie game, so that's a futile point for this type of discussion. Even though it will most likely be their most successful game, even if it outsells their most successful title by 1.5-3 million copies, it would still be an indie game and not even that out of the realm of the titles they already created sales wise. So your logic doesn't add up. Regardless, if you won't want to argue, just don't say wrong things.  

Did their other games get nominated and win some full GOTY awards by various prestigious organizations like Hades did? 

Instead of saying that I'm saying wrong things, you could have just stayed your opinion without being insulting.

Machina said:
Dulfite said:

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Bastion before; it was very popular back when it released (though imo it hasn't aged all that well) and was the break-out hit of that year's 'Summer of Arcade'.

Mnementh said:

I would like to see Immortals Fenyx Rising as an option for overall game of the year, it is great.

And I have a question: How is the policy on early access games? The reason I ask: I really like the Baldur's Gate III early access. I would totally get it, if it is not available for voting, because it is early access. But it would suck if it not is up for voting once released (hopefully next year), because it deserves to be in the running.

Added.

Early Access doesn't count until it's officially released.

I hav heard of Bastion, but I know nothing about it, know no one who is or has played it that I'm aware of, and have seen no discussions or articles about it on any of the gaming websites I visit that I can recall. Hades, though? I see people talking about it, I see critics analyzing it, I see award shows nominating and awarding it.