By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What price do you usually pay for your games?

What price do you usually pay for your games?

(Almost) always original MSRP 50 8.17%

Mostly original MSRP, partially discounted 95 15.52%

Roughly an even split 83 13.56%

Mostly discounted, partially original MSRP 155 25.33%

(Almost) always discounted 204 33.33%

I don't buy any games 25 4.08%

Total:612
RolStoppable said:

Do you buy games on or close to release day, or do you wait for cheaper prices?

I always wait for cheaper prices.

At the most I would pay....

$40 for physical Nintendo first party titles
$20 for physical Sony first party titles
$30 for physical third party titles on non-nintendo systems
$20 for physical third party titles on nintendo systems
$25 for digital games (with DLC/Season pass included) on PC

The last time I paid full MSRP was The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for the WiiU in 2016 for $60

Prior to that it was Bravely Default Collector's Edition for 3DS back in 2013 for $50

And prior to that New Super Mario Bros Wii for the Nintendo Wii back in 2009 for $50

For non-nintendo system/games it was

$50 for Persona 5 OG Steel Book and Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age Steel book for $50 - both for the PS4 in 2017.

The last time I paid full price for a game on a non-nintendo platform was Final Fantasy XII on PS2 for $50 back in 2006.

Bulk of my PC gaming comes from bundles and steep discounts thanks to Humble, IndieGala, Fanatical, GMG, GamersGate, Gamesplanet, and Amazon - all of which gives me 10-15 games for $1-$12 in some cases.

RolStoppable said:

Bonus question: How much money have you spent on video games in 2020?

2020 has been my most expensive yet in terms of gaming.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

Most of my games are bought when they are on sale.

I never buy, and I mean never buy at full price

Patience is a virtue :)

Almost always discounted.

The only games in the last 3 years I bought for MSRP were AstroBot (€42) and Half-Life Alyx (€45).

On digital games, less than 10€ per game. On retail games, I always try to accumulate as many discounts and coupons as possible, but it ends up depending on the game.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Nowadays, not more than €15. Too many games I can play at no additional cost via Game Pass or get completely free by using MS Rewards.

Total amount spent on games (and DLC) in 2020: €410

Last edited by Barozi - on 15 December 2020

I almost always wait until the games are at least 60% off, and generally not over 15€ in price.

The exception to this rule are Nintendo titles, since they never drop down that deep - though even here I wait for a discount first. But for anything else, it's a waiting game for me.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 15 December 2020

Almost (98%) always discounted.

exception > Pokemon games ( util the cluster @#$@#$ called sword and shield came to life)... and perhaps 1 or 2 other games.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Mostly discounted, like almost all of my physical purchases and 100% for digital games. The only exceptions are:

1) Limited release games from Iambit8, LimitedRunGames, PlayAsia, SpecialReserveGames (full MSRP).

2) Super Mario 3D All Stars (full MSRP).

3) God of War, FF VII Remake & Spider-Man (slightly below MSRP).

The rest, usually 75% above off the price.

Depends on the game. If it is a franchise/ series I really like, I want to support the developer with a full price purchase. However I never by collector's or other higher price options. If not, I wait until it is cheaper.

And with what happened with FFVII remastered, I was too busy playing Nioh 2. So I didn't buy on day 1 and now I wait for prices to drop even more.