By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Perfect Dark Returns!

Tagged games:

Did you enjoy then new Trailer?

Loved it! 30 60.00%

Its okay.. 13 26.00%

Hated it 7 14.00%

Total:50

Perfect bloody Dark.. is now officially revealed as the AAAA budgeted game being developed by The Intuitive full of industry veterans.

New Teaser Trailer

This game has me excited.

Now for those new to Perfect Dark here is a brief idea below.

Those who care about scores, The first game which released on the N64 in May 2000, was considered one of the best games ever made and Rares greatest achievement. Scoring a legendary 97 Meta for its time, putting it into the Elite of the Elite category of games.

Not only did Perfect Dark nail the single player aspect, surpassing Golden Eye 64, it also offered one of the most fully featured games with MP modes, Bots, Challenges, 3 different ways to play the SP game, like Solo, Co-Op and the unique Vs Co-Op where a friend will play as a random enemy trying to stop the main player from achieving there objectives and missions and bonus missions. 

PD was known for its AI for the time, and AI in PD is still top tier even for today's standards, providing enemies that can trick you, and the stealth elements are still amazing, weather you shoot the lights out to sneak past, or turn the lights on if enemies are wearing Night Vision googles to blind them. You could shoot guns out of enemy hands where they have multiple ways of dealing with you, they can surrender, wait for you to turn your back and pull out a pistol or just run after there main weapon you shot away. This game is packed full of options to play and will still surprise some when playing different play throughs.

Perfect Dark on the N64 is one of my favorite games i have ever played, its up their with Half Life and Halo for me and seeing the IP in the hands of a high budgeted studio has me extremely excited. 

If you never played PD, i recommended playing Perfect Dark HD available on Xbox as it runs at a silky smooth 60fps at 1080p plus uses the Xbox controller. I completed 100% of PD on the N64 and as much as i loved it, playing it on that old hardware and controller i wouldn't do again, it was quite ambition and unstable most of the time.

Oh and the music is also top of its class as well, have a good listen.

My actual copy below.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 11 December 2020

Around the Network

Very exited to see how this turns out.

Xbox continues to “get me”, having played this a ton on N64. The game was ahead of its time in terms of console FPS and was a complete package in many respects. This game has to nail the AI, the gadgets, and ways to approach each objective.

They probably won’t go the alien route like the first one did. I had a soft spot for Skedar guns (Slayer in particular) 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

Xbox continues to “get me”, having played this a ton on N64. The game was ahead of its time in terms of console FPS and was a complete package in many respects. This game has to nail the AI, the gadgets, and ways to approach each objective.

They probably won’t go the alien route like the first one did. I had a soft spot for Skedar guns (Slayer in particular) 

I am curious to know how they will take the story. The Aliens were a cool aspect of the OG, Falling in-between two fighting Alien races looking for the highly advanced 3rd Alien race's Star Ship which crashed landed on Earth. It would be cool if they at least acknowledged the existence as it was an important part to the lore.

I play a lot of FPS games and i can still say PD does things better in some aspects and the game is 20 years old! like being able to shoot 99% of lights causing darkness whenever necessary, you can completely black out the entire first mission building if you wanted to. Enemies still do things in PD that they don't do in more modern day FPS games. The amount of options they have always keeps you on your feet. 

I am hoping they nail everything you mentioned, the A.I, the gadgets, the environment and the weapons. Guns like the Laptop Gun and the Far Sight are iconic.

Azzanation said:
sales2099 said:

I am curious to know how they will take the story. The Aliens were a cool aspect of the OG, Falling in-between two fighting Alien races looking for the highly advanced 3rd Alien race's Star Ship which crashed landed on Earth. It would be cool if they at least acknowledged the existence as it was an important part to the lore.

I play a lot of FPS games and i can still say PD does things better in some aspects and the game is 20 years old! like being able to shoot 99% of lights causing darkness whenever necessary, you can completely black out the entire first mission building if you wanted to. Enemies still do things in PD that they don't do in more modern day FPS games. The amount of options they have always keeps you on your feet. 

I am hoping they nail everything you mentioned, the A.I, the gadgets, the environment and the weapons. Guns like the Laptop Gun and the Far Sight are iconic.

This will certainly fill that Splinter Cell void we been feeling over the years. Mixed with small scale FPS firefights 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

The real question is if this is Perfect Dark DLC or a full fledged game.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 11 December 2020

This is coming from a reliable Xbox insider:

- 3rd Person stealth action game in a Cyberpunk setting, core is on stealth.
- Rand heard it is based on seasonal content, not sure what it means but knows ''Episodic'' doesn't fit what they are doing
- Not a cinematic game, don't expect a Uncharted/TLOU like project
- Jez says that the ''AAAA'' stuff created wrong expectations, studio is meant to be small and nimble(I don't know what this means), not trying to do a ''GOW Killer'' or whatever.
- He says that they are going to do experimental formulas, they are going to be more similar to Remedy rather than Naughty Dog or other bigger studios.
- Rand says that the episodic stuff falls more in line with the Black Mirror comparison(From Xbox ERA), independent ''episodes'' connected in the overall scheme of things.
- Expect to hear about it soon, maybe TGA.

Sounds promising aside from the "seasonal" content. That's open to interpretation though.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 11 December 2020

I loathe trailers that show zero gameplay. I got zero idea what I am suppose to learn about the game.

Used to be absolutely addicted to the Nintendo 64 game back in the day... Then when Microsoft bought RARE, this was one of many reasons on why I grabbed an Original Xbox, for a Perfect Dark game.
Eventually Perfect Dark Zero got pushed onto the Xbox 360, which was fine...

This has been far to many years waiting for another release, absolutely keen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Together with Fallout New Vegas 2, a new Perfect Dark was my most wanted game from Microsoft.

Looking forward to see gameplay.