By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Perfect Dark Returns!

Tagged games:

Did you enjoy then new Trailer?

Loved it! 30 60.00%

Its okay.. 13 26.00%

Hated it 7 14.00%

Total:50
Shiken said:
Nogamez said:

The last PD game was painfully average at best.

So was God of War Ascension, but look how God of War 4 turned out.

Bottom line is this, Perfect Dark coming back is pure nostalgia for anyone who played the first.  For younger gamers, this is essentially a new IP since this seems like it could be a reboot.  That said, all the people complaining about the new studio not getting a new IP put of the gate just seems like downplay to me.  This is literally a win for everyone involved, provided it is a good game.

At the end of the day, it will be the gameplay that sells it when it is shown off.  Many people were skeptical of God of War 4 when it was announced, because God of War had gotten stale and people felt it was done.  But we were wrong about that, and we got a fantastic revamped game that put life back into the IP.

Perfect Dark is a much older IP, but I expect the same thing to happen here.  There is a lot of potential and I don't see how anyone can try to downplay it without just hating for the sake of hating.  People are excited about the potential that we have here, and to see what this new studio can do.

So in short, what happened with the last PD game from a different studio is 100% irrelevant to what people are actually excited about.

Ok so in YOUR opinion its totally irrelevant to mention the last game in a franchise, in a discussion about the next game in a franchise. In MY opinion, its completely legit to talk about a previous game in a franchise, in a discussion about the next entry.

All im saying is, the first game was a masterpiece. The second game, which also was a Xbox exclusive wasnt very good. We was all hyped for that game too, which was also basically a reboot. Lets hope this new game is decent.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
Shiken said:

So was God of War Ascension, but look how God of War 4 turned out.

Bottom line is this, Perfect Dark coming back is pure nostalgia for anyone who played the first.  For younger gamers, this is essentially a new IP since this seems like it could be a reboot.  That said, all the people complaining about the new studio not getting a new IP put of the gate just seems like downplay to me.  This is literally a win for everyone involved, provided it is a good game.

At the end of the day, it will be the gameplay that sells it when it is shown off.  Many people were skeptical of God of War 4 when it was announced, because God of War had gotten stale and people felt it was done.  But we were wrong about that, and we got a fantastic revamped game that put life back into the IP.

Perfect Dark is a much older IP, but I expect the same thing to happen here.  There is a lot of potential and I don't see how anyone can try to downplay it without just hating for the sake of hating.  People are excited about the potential that we have here, and to see what this new studio can do.

So in short, what happened with the last PD game from a different studio is 100% irrelevant to what people are actually excited about.

Ok so in YOUR opinion its totally irrelevant to mention the last game in a franchise, in a discussion about the next game in a franchise. In MY opinion, its completely legit to talk about a previous game in a franchise, in a discussion about the next entry.

All im saying is, the first game was a masterpiece. The second game, which also was a Xbox exclusive wasnt very good. We was all hyped for that game too, which was also basically a reboot. Lets hope this new game is decent.

No I am saying objectively that the last game in the franchise was made by a different studio, and therefore is irrelevant to the fact that a new team with a lot of talent is handling the reboot, which makes said last game from two generations ago irrelevant to this one.

It is also objective, as I stated in my examples, IPs are rebooted/reimagined all the time after a dud and have been proven to be rejuvenated as a result.

Nice try though!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I hope the developers take a good long look at what made the original game so great, and still great to this day: high level of interactivity, lots of cool guns and gadgets and having multiple objectives with a semi-open structure.

Azzanation said:
Nogamez said:

The last PD game was painfully average at best.

We don't talk about the last PD game (Closes door)

Just kidding, it wasn't the best game, looked great but that's about it. Rare dropped the ball with it, it was a far cry from its N64 game. Its what makes it exciting knowing the IP is in the hands of industry veterans rather than Rare themselves. It needs good treatment and i believe it will. The developers clearly chose this IP for a reason. Fingers crossed they see the potential with its universe.

It was average, I think I got like 1/3rd of the way through it back in the day before I decided enough was enough?

The parallax mapping was pretty much used for everything, so the game had a unique look, sadly because of the lack of anisotropic filtering it held the impact back somewhat.
Joanna having an accent threw me off the most, it just didn't have the same atmosphere, tech-wizardry and the like.

15 years on and I have never reinserted the game disk into a console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

They can still keep the spirit of the franchise alive, making the levels objective based, being really sci fi with aliens and stuff. Alot of spy stuff, etc.

Ok, but can anyone confirm whether it will be third person gameplay or another FPS?

It was just announced. I doubt anyone can truly confirm anything until seeing it in action. It's currently listed as FPS on the Xbox site.

I'm hoping this is a next gen only game too, if I'm being honest.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

They can still keep the spirit of the franchise alive, making the levels objective based, being really sci fi with aliens and stuff. Alot of spy stuff, etc.

Ok, but can anyone confirm whether it will be third person gameplay or another FPS?

In the interview they posted in the Game Awards show they said, "One of the things we thought about was how to differentiate what we call "spy fighting" versus what you would see in a traditional first-person shooter. Sliding under things, jumping over things, getting some of that movement that we see watching body cameras, GoPros, and trying to get that excitement of moving in places and in ways that you and I don't"

Everything in that paragraph makes me imagine a "Mirror's Edge with Gadgets" type of game.

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

We don't talk about the last PD game (Closes door)

Just kidding, it wasn't the best game, looked great but that's about it. Rare dropped the ball with it, it was a far cry from its N64 game. Its what makes it exciting knowing the IP is in the hands of industry veterans rather than Rare themselves. It needs good treatment and i believe it will. The developers clearly chose this IP for a reason. Fingers crossed they see the potential with its universe.

It was average, I think I got like 1/3rd of the way through it back in the day before I decided enough was enough?

The parallax mapping was pretty much used for everything, so the game had a unique look, sadly because of the lack of anisotropic filtering it held the impact back somewhat.
Joanna having an accent threw me off the most, it just didn't have the same atmosphere, tech-wizardry and the like.

15 years on and I have never reinserted the game disk into a console.

I went on to complete the game afew years ago to see what it was all about.

The game definitely didn't live up to PD64. Not sure what Rare did but i felt the A.I took a massive back step, its almost like once you have been caught out of stealth its almost impossible to get back into stealth. I know PD64 you could wake up the whole stage however it felt more controlled. PD Zero felt like it went backwards in that department. I did like what Rare did with the cover shooting, how it would flick you out of FPS into 3rd person seeing Joanna hug the cover etc, but that's a rare highlight for this game.

My biggest gripe is the story direction.. we went from Futuristic James Bond alien warfare corp war to finding a special artifact that could turn a man into a god offering magical powers. It was such a disconnect from the OG direction. Zero felt like this game could have been a new IP but slapped Joanna Dark and Data Dyne on it. A lot like Star Fox Adventures to Lylat Wars.. two very different games but using the skin of another game to get it by. I wasn't a fan of that game either.

Hoping this new game follows the N64 version, keeping it future realistic rather than magical power fairy land etc. 

I realllly hope we get the alien guns, because it looks like a purely human on human game. Maybe as a new game + modifier or available in multiplayer if there is one.

Dual wielding Maulers on charge secondary mode...so satisfying. Using the Slayer secondary camera, sniping through walls with the Farsight, etc.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I honestly don't think any FPS game has a better weapon selection than Perfect Dark.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrizum said:

I honestly don't think any FPS game has a better weapon selection than Perfect Dark.

That might be true, but GoldenEye had the Golden Gun.

Turok had the Cerebral Bore... It was always satisfying firing a homing projectile that would bore into the skull of your enemies and detonating when it reaches the brain.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--