By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II Wins Game of the Year!

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

If you consider that finishing the game at Ellie theather sequence would have done it for you. Then you aren't obligated to play as Abby, consider that extra. And sorry but not only Abby gameplay is very different than Ellie the storyline is also very different with different purpose, only on the end it truly goes aligning with Ellie. But ok if you would be happy if they delivered only 30-40% of the game ok.

Yes, I think the game would be better if it stopped at Ellie in the theater.  More isn't always better.  In fact I think 'more' often hurts games as opposed to helping.  As an example with FFVII Remake, instead of 24 side quests, 23 of which are horribly lame, it would have been better with 10 great side quests.  Ghost is too long and really makes the repetitive aspects stand out.  Dark Souls 2 has 'more' bosses than Souls 1.  But Souls 1 is better because the bosses are better.  I've never had a problem with short games, in fact I think short games are often the better, because the are focused and deliver well.

And we will have to agree to disagree.  I thought the story of Abby was the same as Ellie.  Ellie lost her father figure, sought revenge.  Abby lost her father, sought revenge.  The gameplay was virtually identical (minus slightly different weapons) and many of the levels were already visited by Ellie.  It was just meh for me.  I love playing as Ellie, lost interest with Abby.  But had no choice to force myself to finish with Abby so I could beat the game.  Feeling forced to finish something isn't a good feeling.  

I certainly understand and agree sometimes the games are longer than they should and mostly with bloating content.

But Abby story of revenge happened basically in the prologue of the game. When you change from Ellie gameplay to Abby it isn't about her father vengeance anymore, it is about rescuing her lover and former boyfriend then later when she learn of Ellie's actions she go there to revenge for the lost friends. Melee and stealth play quite different for both, a lot of the scenarios are different and will have at least different paths when they are on similar place.

I guess since you didn't like playing with Abby you started noticing the stuff you didn't like and pilling them up.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

And how much of the game have you played? Care to share with us so we can see that you formed your opinion of playing instead of watching the YT that didn't like the game?

I beat the game and didn't like it much.  First half was stellar, second half was sluggish.  The second half felt like starting the game over and going through all the same areas.  I still think Last 2 would have been way better using a RE2 system, where the game can be beaten with scenario A (character 1) and again later with scenario B (character 2).  Getting to an apex, only to reset and have to play another 10 hours to see the ending was a bad design decision.  And the last area was terrible, stretched too far.  Should have ended in the movie theater.

Either joe is the biggest idiot on youtube, or most likely scenario is he is just putting on an act of rage to keep his angryjoe persona going and for views. 

Azzanation said:
twintail said:

I don't think divisiveness among the community should really be a reason something wins or doesn't. 

That seems markedly unfair. But, I suppose that is the reason why the community award exists. And TloU2 would've taken it, but narrowly missed out to Ghost (the reasons are unimportant now).

If anything, the game isn't quite as divisive as it may appear to be. Journalists loved it. Gamers loved it, too. 

I do think a 'good vibes' award could be a good idea. Something that promotes more positivity. 

You clearly haven't watched Angry Joe's opinion on the game or the awards. It doesn't get much Gamer than him. 

He brings up some valid points that seem to be ignored by the industry and even got called a Basement dwelling virgin by other professionals due to him having a different opinion. "The industry circled the wagons" seems to have been one of the popular lines from him.

Ill link the video, if you are interested to see why his negative towards the game. This is coming from a guy who loved the first game too. 

SPOILERS below

All his so called valid points have been debunked and explained. Joe just clearly doesn't get it. Besides playing the game as a streamer is not the same as playing it alone without distractions.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

I am not giving my opinion on the game, as i haven't personally played it myself. That doesn't stop me from watching reviews etc. 

So you are just parroting the negatives appointed by others? Why not the positives? Because considering the reviews the game got and the prizes if you were looking randomly it would be more likely to find positive reviews than negatives.

Because my post was to reflect that not everyone enjoyed this game as someone mentioned in this thread. Hence my link to the video. This does not represent my opinion on the game. 

KratosLives said:

All his so called valid points have been debunked and explained. Joe just clearly doesn't get it. Besides playing the game as a streamer is not the same as playing it alone without distractions.

Would you like me to link you more videos of gamers not enjoying this game? It wont be hard.

And no his points have not been debunked, just ignored.

This is evidence that someone outside the industry circle cannot have a valid opinion without being labelled. Like you calling him an idiot. Dont forget, that same guy playing his Angry Joe Persona also gave the 1st game a perfect 10. Guess you aren't complaining with the 10/10 either.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 18 December 2020

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

I am not giving my opinion on the game, as i haven't personally played it myself. That doesn't stop me from watching reviews etc. 

So you are just parroting the negatives appointed by others? Why not the positives? Because considering the reviews the game got and the prizes if you were looking randomly it would be more likely to find positive reviews than negatives.

Because my post was to reflect that not everyone enjoyed this game as someone mentioned in this thread. Hence my link to the video. This does not represent my opinion on the game. 

And after several threads on the subject and 6 months later do you truly think there is someone claiming 100% of every human being loves the game? Please quote this person that said literally everyone enjoyed it.

And what is your opinion on the game?

Azzanation said:
KratosLives said:

Would you like me to link you more videos of gamers not enjoying this game? It wont be hard.

This is evidence that someone outside the industry circle cannot have a valid opinion without being labelled. Like you calling him an idiot. Dont forget, that same guy playing his Angry Joe Persona also gave the 1st game a perfect 10. Guess you aren't complaining with the 10/10 either.

Yes they have, you decided to ignore the debunkal and used the same vernacular from the debunkal to repeat the same thing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

1) And after several threads on the subject and 6 months later do you truly think there is someone claiming 100% of every human being loves the game? Please quote this person that said literally everyone enjoyed it.

2) And what is your opinion on the game?

Azzanation said:

3) Yes they have, you decided to ignore the debunkal and used the same vernacular from the debunkal to repeat the same thing.

1) Look in this thread, i replied to the person who said it. I am not here to do your homework.

2) Don i know English isn't your best, but do i need to repeat myself? Quote "I am not giving my opinion on the game, as i haven't personally played it myself." Stop asking.

3) No one has debunked Joe's opinions, calling him an idiot is not debunking.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

1) And after several threads on the subject and 6 months later do you truly think there is someone claiming 100% of every human being loves the game? Please quote this person that said literally everyone enjoyed it.

Azzanation said:

3) Yes they have, you decided to ignore the debunkal and used the same vernacular from the debunkal to repeat the same thing.

1) Look in this thread, i replied to the person who said it. I am not here to do your homework.

2) Don i know English isn't your best, but do i need to repeat myself? Quote "I am not giving my opinion on the game, as i haven't personally played it myself." Stop asking.

1) You are claiming you are responding to someone that said everyone liked the game you can certainly provide a link for it. Are you refering to twintail, who said critics and gamers loved it, is that wrong? Have he said 100% of both loved? Is that the one you were saying you were replying to and I'm the one that have problems with English?

2) Seems like your English is even worse than mine since you can't reply to a direct question. I perfectly understood you were just parroting Joe's opinion of the game, so you have no opinion whatsoever on the subject? Then what are you doing in this thread?

3) Yes it was debunked by Hynad, but you just tried and rephrased all he said to look like you have a great vocabulary while completely missing the points and saying Joe wasn't asking for more cliches but complaining about the ones he got.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Azzanation said:

Debunking someone else’s opinion? It’s an opinion. Like you, everyone is allowed to have one, even if it’s misguided and rooted in ignorance.

So PlayStation on PlayStation Blog made game of the year awards and was marketing the thing on social media (Twitter, FB, etc)

And of course you had the usual bunch of comments like “Anything but part II”, “GOT is the real people’s champ” and all that BS.
They gave people bunch of days to vote on the polls for many categories.

And what happened? Part II won 8 awards at the end, including best narrative, PS4 game of the year and many more.