By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are your Expectations or Wishes for the new "switch" 2021 ?

Depends on what the next Switch will be.

In case of a "pro" model, I expect
o visual and performance equal to Xb1-S in handheld mode
o performance at or slightly above base PS4 when docked

I case of a next gen Switch, i expect
o performance above base PS4 in handheld mode (cpu in particular)
o performance equal to the Series S in docked mode
o additional hardware inside the dock to bypass the limitations of mobile chipsets. (to make the switch 2 an ACTUAL hybrid)

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

My only wish is that it continues to have a stranglehold on Japan, thus keeping others from gaining ground.

That's the spirit. Down with Sony.

Who said anything about Sony ? He might refer to Xcloud or Steam ?

SKMBlake said:
B6a6es said:

Model ...... not New console

And No, Nintendo will never release a next gen switch console next when the Switch is still at its prime and been on the market only for 3.5 years (Nintendo consoles usual life-span is 5-6 years)

The Wii U was basically a Wii model

If its just a model, how can i still not be able to use the gamepad on my Wii ? I mean many customers wanted the Gamepad peripheral for their wii but couldn’t one, they’re only sold at a bundle

B6a6es said:
SKMBlake said:

If its just a model, how can i still not be able to use the gamepad on my Wii ? I mean many customers wanted the Gamepad peripheral for their wii but couldn’t one, they’re only sold at a bundle

The same way you can't play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on your regular 3DS nor dock your Switch Lite with your Switch dock.

Be it a Pro or Switch 2, I'd like the next proper upgrade to have a 1080p screen, up to 4k docked play, smaller bezels, improved controls, and ideally improved battery life. VR support would be interesting but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe AR...

What we'll actually get, I have no idea. Nintendo is Nintendo and they'll do what they feel like.

Around the Network

I honestly don't know... I'm playing on a 1080p TV so 4k display doesn't do much for me as of now. A boost on the resolution of the Switch's screen would be nice, but not something I'd pay for until my original doesn't work anymore. Battery life is good, but I'm not going to buy a new machine for that instead of just getting a portable charger.

There are quality of life improvements that will make it better for new players. But I can't really think of much they can do for me personally to make me spend 300 dollars or so on a new machine rather than putting that towards another console that will give me access to games I can't play on what I own, or just on Switch games. They'd have to give me something I don't know I want.

Or a 3D screen. Screw the haters.

SKMBlake said:
B6a6es said:

The same way you can't play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on your regular 3DS nor dock your Switch Lite with your Switch dock.

Its really weird and an anti-consumer tactic, like when i bought the switch alongside BOTW used disk from ebay, i couldn’t play cuz there was no Disk-tray on the Switch (despite BOTW being marketed mainly for the switch)

or having NES games on Nintendo online but cant play your own cartridge, blasphemy!

Tackled this a few months back, and then I said this:

I can see Nintendo releasing the TV only model as they already done the handheld only version.
And for this they would keep the same SoC and keep the same power envelope with the current devices.

My preference would be the hybrid Switch+ with improved battery life and performance.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I expect the new model will allow us to play "docked mode" undocked. As almost every single Switch game features docked mode settings, the new model will just set itself to "docked" when you are playing in portable mode. Alternatively, users could be able to select "save battery", which would play the games in original handheld mode and prolong play-time by a few hours. This solution strikes me as very simple and easy for the users, while adding lots of value to the product without Nintendo having to put much work into; exactly something Nintendo would do.

For docked mode, I expect some sort of additional "power mode". Maybe automatic upscaling for games that haven't been optimized for the new hardware. But if devs want, they can make use of the extra power to optimize their games (instead of just an automatic resolution bump or smoother frame rate). 

Probably 64GB of internal storage, as this is most likely as cheap and widely available as 32GB was back in 2017.

Basically, I don't expect Nintendo to push any boundaries. That's their philosophy: They are not going to cram the most impressive CPU into that thing, just grab what is already available and cheap and safe to implement, while adding value to the product. Same happened with the Gameboy Color, the DSi and the New 3DS: Nintendo didn't design these consoles with a mindset of "let's make this powerful". Instead, they looked at the state of electronics and said: "X years have passed since the original product. This is the tried and proven technology that we can implement into the new model without increasing costs." If screens have progressed to make 1080p screens as cheap as 720p screens were in 2017, so be it. If there's an X2 processor that's as cheap as the X1 was in 2017, let's put it in. If 64GB of storage is as cheap as 32GB were in 2017, why not include that? That's basically how Nintendo thinks.

SKMBlake said:
B6a6es said:

Model ...... not New console

And No, Nintendo will never release a next gen switch console next when the Switch is still at its prime and been on the market only for 3.5 years (Nintendo consoles usual life-span is 5-6 years)

And Nintendo always release new models during the lifecycle of their devices

The Wii was just a GameCube remodel.