By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 15 to 21 - PS5 Launches in Europe to Record Sales

Tridrakious said:

What is driving Switch numbers?

Christmas shopping, pent-up demand from persistent shortages, and an evergreen catalogue that includes a relatively fresh cultural phenomenon in Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yeah I think it's too early to put PS4 and Xbone under legacy. They were succeeded less than a month ago and probably won't be discontinued for quite some time.

sales2099 said:

It will work itself out once their new studios crank out the games. But I remember the 360 PS3 gen having a certain sense of balance and equilibrium. Each console cornered different parts of the world and thus ended on a virtual tie.

First things first, win back your former #1 market. 

Winning back North America from the Switch is a very tall order and not one I personally would expect Xbox Series to be able to do.

Good thing I’m only talking about winning NA from PS :)

I wish Switch success as it does its thing. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

trunkswd said:

(...)

(...)

If Switch continues to sell at a consistent rate compared to last year, then it will sell 32.95m according to these numbers.  That is amazing, but I don't know if they have those kind of supplies.

I personally expect Switch to have an an amazing Black Friday.  It will also have several other great weeks in December.  But I also expect to see at least one week with disappointing numbers before the year ends.  I just don't think supply is going to fully keep up with demand.

30m is an insane level of performance that would basically have the NS at 82-85m shipped come the end of 2020 if attained if such a case becomes confirmed a 19-20m year in 2021 could have NS at roughly 105m come the end of it.

sales2099 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I think it's too early to put PS4 and Xbone under legacy. They were succeeded less than a month ago and probably won't be discontinued for quite some time.

Winning back North America from the Switch is a very tall order and not one I personally would expect Xbox Series to be able to do.

Good thing I’m only talking about winning NA from PS :)

I wish Switch success as it does its thing. 

Ah, alrighty, I thought you meant XS leading NA out of all three.

Still, beating PS5 in NA is not going to be easy, PS4 beat the Xbone there in spite of the Xbox brand's strength among Americans. For the sake of competition I'd like to see it happen, but I don't expect it.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

(...)

(...)

If Switch continues to sell at a consistent rate compared to last year, then it will sell 32.95m according to these numbers.  That is amazing, but I don't know if they have those kind of supplies.

I personally expect Switch to have an an amazing Black Friday.  It will also have several other great weeks in December.  But I also expect to see at least one week with disappointing numbers before the year ends.  I just don't think supply is going to fully keep up with demand.

Agreed; if supply were not a factor I'd say lock in 32 million plus, but simply making and distributing that many, especially in the current world circumstances, is likely too tall an order. Still, I'm hoping they can hit 30 and set a new record.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 December 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

Seeing the 69.9M on the switch bar both frustrates, and amuses me. On the one hand, it's so close to 70M. But on the other hand, it is the nice number.

PDiddy said:

Seeing the 69.9M on the switch bar both frustrates, and amuses me. On the one hand, it's so close to 70M. But on the other hand, it is the nice number.

It did at first, but now I enjoy it, Especially since it's about to leapfrog over 70, 71, and maybe even the 72 million mark.

I know it's tough to get a hold of, but it's interesting to see the Xbox Series X get its butt whooped by the PS5 and Switch. I mean, the PS5 is tough to get as well. But yet its numbers in the charts are still very high.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Hey VGC mode Team, get ready for massive adjustments on Ps5 US numbers .

You guys missed the mark big.

See you in a week or two at best :)

Also, Switch is gonna crush Wii Numbers sooner rather than later.

SilenceDeadly said:

Hey VGC mode Team, get ready for massive adjustments on Ps5 US numbers .

You guys missed the mark big.

See you in a week or two at best :)

Also, Switch is gonna crush Wii Numbers sooner rather than later.

Is this a prediction or do you have visual on the data?  

If the latter, please feel free to spill the beans!