By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 15 to 21 - PS5 Launches in Europe to Record Sales

We are living in historic times.  There are 6 systems listed in the OP and they are all in short supply.  The second place system sold 800k+ and we aren't even to Black Friday numbers yet.  I know people hate 2020 for a lot of reasons, but it's been a good year for anyone in the video game business (including scalpers).

Next week is Black Friday.  The real fun is about to begin.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 30 November 2020

Around the Network

Last week of semi-sanity before the Switch goes into rage mode. The next month is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kudos to Trunks for getting us back up to pace so quickly, your efforts are as always greatly appreciated. Will we be back to Thursday updates for the week before's numbers from here on, or will the new consoles make that difficult?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Last week of semi-sanity before the Switch goes into rage mode. The next month is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kudos to Trunks for getting us back up to pace so quickly, your efforts are as always greatly appreciated. Will we be back to Thursday updates for the week before's numbers from here on, or will the new consoles make that difficult?

Will be crazy.  On the high end, Switch will cross 10-11M in the final 6 weeks of the year. 

Last edited by mk7sx - on 30 November 2020

curl-6 said:

Last week of semi-sanity before the Switch goes into rage mode. The next month is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kudos to Trunks for getting us back up to pace so quickly, your efforts are as always greatly appreciated. Will we be back to Thursday updates for the week before's numbers from here on, or will the new consoles make that difficult?

I'll give it about 50/50 odds of getting week of Black Friday figures up on Thursday. It really depends on how much data we are able to get. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PS5 seems too low. So UK alone was 30%? Germany and France alone should have 400k between them.



Around the Network
mk7sx said:
curl-6 said:

Last week of semi-sanity before the Switch goes into rage mode. The next month is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kudos to Trunks for getting us back up to pace so quickly, your efforts are as always greatly appreciated. Will we be back to Thursday updates for the week before's numbers from here on, or will the new consoles make that difficult?

Will be crazy.  On the high end, Switch can cross 10M in the final 6 weeks of the year. 

What's Switch at by now YTD, 21 million?

I feel like an idiot but I can't remember/figure out how to access those numbers on here.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
mk7sx said:

Will be crazy.  On the high end, Switch can cross 10M in the final 6 weeks of the year. 

What's Switch at by now YTD, 21 million?

I feel like an idiot but I can't remember/figure out how to access those numbers on here.

Hover over tools on the banner on top of the site and click Hardware by Date. 



curl-6 said:
mk7sx said:

Will be crazy.  On the high end, Switch can cross 10M in the final 6 weeks of the year. 

What's Switch at by now YTD, 21 million?

I feel like an idiot but I can't remember/figure out how to access those numbers on here.

21.35M.  See below - its ahead of everything (even 07 NDS which had its Black Friday in week 47). 

You can access yearly data from the top (Tools > Hardware by Date > organize/filter as needed).

mk7sx said:

NSW vs. NDS/Wii Peaks (VG Chartz Data)

Quarter 4 performance added. Note that 2007 and 2009 had Black Friday during W47 instead of W48, so NSW appears to be making a run at the record there as well, next week will be a big jump of >2-2.5M, so it can net 700-1,200K over 2007. 2008 had an additional week included in the yearly total, W53 crossing between Dec/Jan with 770K. NSW is ahead of that pace and may also be getting a 53 week count.



PDiddy said:
curl-6 said:

What's Switch at by now YTD, 21 million?

I feel like an idiot but I can't remember/figure out how to access those numbers on here.

Hover over tools on the banner on top of the site and click Hardware by Date. 

I can't figure out how to work that page, the dates keep seeming to change themselves every time I try to set them, and they just give me lines over time instead of a simple YTD number. I'm a moron when it comes to anything technical haha

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 November 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Can anyone remind me what was the common consensus about these new console sales by the end of 2020 here? There was a thread back in early 2020. Just would be interesting to see if VGC average prediction is on track