By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 15 to 21 - PS5 Launches in Europe to Record Sales

Xbox holding its own in NA, that’s a good start.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Xbox holding its own in NA, that's a good start.

I'd rather say MS continues to prioritise NA above anywhere else. That is NOT a good start if you want to make inroads everywhere.

For XMas just around the corner, I'd say European numbers are low, to put it mildly.

The simple question is, of course, What has been the weekly production numbers in Sep-Nov (for both consoles)? Usually these numbers have been insane.

drkohler said:
sales2099 said:

I'd rather say MS continues to prioritise NA above anywhere else. That is NOT a good start if you want to make inroads everywhere.

For XMas just around the corner, I'd say European numbers are low, to put it mildly.

The simple question is, of course, What has been the weekly production numbers in Sep-Nov (for both consoles)? Usually these numbers have been insane.

i have questions myself:

1. when did MS start producing? is this 250k baseline?
if so that would mean production started early october, but we had rumors that they started with that in july that means we have 2 months of production unaccounted for UNLESS that 250k not baseline production and it lies even lower

Last edited by kirby007 - on 01 December 2020

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

drkohler said:
sales2099 said:

It will work itself out once their new studios crank out the games. But I remember the 360 PS3 gen having a certain sense of balance and equilibrium. Each console cornered different parts of the world and thus ended on a virtual tie.

First things first, win back your former #1 market. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

mk7sx said:

21.35M.  See below - its ahead of everything (even 07 NDS which had its Black Friday in week 47). 

You can access yearly data from the top (Tools > Hardware by Date > organize/filter as needed).

mk7sx said:

NSW vs. NDS/Wii Peaks (VG Chartz Data)

Quarter 4 performance added. Note that 2007 and 2009 had Black Friday during W47 instead of W48, so NSW appears to be making a run at the record there as well, next week will be a big jump of >2-2.5M, so it can net 700-1,200K over 2007. 2008 had an additional week included in the yearly total, W53 crossing between Dec/Jan with 770K. NSW is ahead of that pace and may also be getting a 53 week count.

"its ahead of everything" Well..... This breaks any records!!! Who could have predicted it? Historic moments for Big N and the Switch! Truly unstoppable!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

Be sure to share the article here.

Thoughts on moving PS4 and Xbox One under legacy in 2021 or keep them under current platforms in the new year?

Definitely move them under legacy, because that's what they will be based on how Sony and Microsoft are already treating them now.

I disagree. The 3DS and Vita should be moved to legacy, which I'm sure they will be anyway. Since Nintendo and Sony no longer have those systems in production, they are effectively dead. So it's time to close the door on them once and for all. 

However, the PS4 and Xbox One are still in production, they're still being supported, and Sony and Microsoft are still making money off them. So they still have plenty of life left in them and I don't think it would be appropriate to consider them legacy platforms just yet.

RolStoppable said:
PAOerfulone said:

I disagree. The 3DS and Vita should be moved to legacy, which I'm sure they will be anyway. Since Nintendo and Sony no longer have those systems in production, they are effectively dead. So it's time to close the door on them once and for all. 

However, the PS4 and Xbox One are still in production, they're still being supported, and Sony and Microsoft are still making money off them. So they still have plenty of life left in them and I don't think it would be appropriate to consider them legacy platforms just yet.

Look above, the 3DS and Vita are under the legacy label. I didn't think it was necessary to mention that they should be removed altogether in 2021; I don't know why the Vita has still been in these articles when it sells absolutely nothing.

Ahh, I missed that. I thought it was still the "Console" and "Handheld" labels like they were in the past. Goes to show how much I've been paying attention.

But I still think it's premature to move the PSa4 and Xbox One under the "Legacy" label when they are still have plenty of gas left in the tank.

RolStoppable said:
PAOerfulone said:

Look above, the 3DS and Vita are under the legacy label. I didn't think it was necessary to mention that they should be removed altogether in 2021; I don't know why the Vita has still been in these articles when it sells absolutely nothing.

At least while the 3DS is still there it needs something to compare it to. (so even though 3DS is obviously shown to have 100% of marketshare this year, it's useful to see it compared to past years before Vita died)

But yes from January 3DS should be taken off the tables & just be a footnote in the Nintendo section.

Yeah I think it's too early to put PS4 and Xbone under legacy. They were succeeded less than a month ago and probably won't be discontinued for quite some time.

sales2099 said:
drkohler said:

It will work itself out once their new studios crank out the games. But I remember the 360 PS3 gen having a certain sense of balance and equilibrium. Each console cornered different parts of the world and thus ended on a virtual tie.

First things first, win back your former #1 market. 

Winning back North America from the Switch is a very tall order and not one I personally would expect Xbox Series to be able to do.

What is driving Switch numbers?