By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Dirt 5

I don't think it's software/tool issue at all that causing the performance different, we need to remember Eurogamers preview, Gears 5 devs got Geforce 2080 performance from XsX after just 2 weeks of optimizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE&t
(between 8:00-9.00)

And Gears 5 don't favor AMD over Nvidia in this title:

In average, Radeon 5700XT is around 5% faster than Geforce 2070 when compared to other games. I'm pretty certain that I know what is going on but gonna keep it a secret and it's just speculation anyway. If I'm right, tools won't help XsX but it's not so bad for Xbox fans, RTX performance between the consoles should be very close to eachother.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

I don't think it's software/tool issue at all that causing the performance different, we need to remember Eurogamers preview, Gears 5 devs got Geforce 2080 performance from XsX after just 2 weeks of optimizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE&t
(between 8:00-9.00)

And Gears 5 don't favor AMD over Nvidia in this title:

In average, Radeon 5700XT is around 5% faster than Geforce 2070 when compared to other games. I'm pretty certain that I know what is going on but gonna keep it a secret and it's just speculation anyway. If I'm right, tools won't help XsX but it's not so bad for Xbox fans, RTX performance between the consoles should be very close to eachother.

Yeah, definitely not so you can say you're right no matter the outcome

Manlytears said:
numberwang said:

How about his claim, MS?

With all due respect...
indeed, Series S situation is shameful for microsoft. Results shown so far prove that the "model S" is a disappointment, the difference between an S and a PS5DE is absolutely monstrous, with a difference of just $ 100 in price.
My conclusion? Series S is a product designed to catch unsuspecting consumers who only look at the price, anyone with an understanding should opt for a PS5DE / PS5 / XSX.

At least the S allows for someone to put his/her game in rest mode and not crash.

Btw your sig is insane. Not positive insane, but insane insane. Assuming it's not a joke, you know Mario is the foundation of basically every modern platformer right?

OTBWY said:
DonFerrari said:

This look so much as a saving face comment.

It doesn't occur on photo modo because it is static, it doesn't occur in 60fps mode because it is a different mode. Sure they wil patch and improve (and we will need to see if it doesn't impact anywhere else), still doesn't really look like a bug. Bugs usually don't affect 100% users in a whole mode 100% the time. That is a choice (can be a poor one) or a grave mistake (that doesn't make sense no one in their QC, MS and etc wouldn't see even more because it seems it was exactly like that couple months ago on the preview).

This sounds like a whole lotta cope. It's pretty clear here than once its patched up these differences will be in MS's favour. That and of course getting more familiar with the tools. And before you argue against that: How many years did we spend arguing about untapped power of the Cell™.

What is a lot to cope?

The game on the other modes run better on PS5, and on 120fps PS5 have a section that runs at 90fps with the rest sticking to 120 with better assets (on Xbox it is close to 120fps most of time, but still had drops to as low as 96 with a lot of tearing while using much lower assets). And we have been accepting and even expecting Xbox versions to do considerably better than PS5. And let's not forget that it isn't the only game or dev that have better performance on PS5.

I would say it is a lot to coupe for you that probably was touting the MS marketing of most powerful console ever and now when it is showtime missed, as they also missed in all their presentations this year.

Ryuu96 said:
DonFerrari said:

So a lot of devs that have spoken publicly are lying and we are supposed to believe in the ones that are annonymous?

DonFerrari said:

This look so much as a saving face comment.

It doesn't occur on photo modo because it is static, it doesn't occur in 60fps mode because it is a different mode. Sure they wil patch and improve (and we will need to see if it doesn't impact anywhere else), still doesn't really look like a bug. Bugs usually don't affect 100% users in a whole mode 100% the time. That is a choice (can be a poor one) or a grave mistake (that doesn't make sense no one in their QC, MS and etc wouldn't see even more because it seems it was exactly like that couple months ago on the preview).

C'mon Don.

These two comments together don't look good.

Also there can be bugs like this which affect 100% of users, and given the current climate I'm not really surprised some stuff has been missed; rushing for launch, launching a console during a pandemic, rushed tools, etc.

Either way it'll be fixed.

How come they don't look good? Lying and saving face aren't the same thing. Just like past week one game that was on very bad shape was released and the dev apologized and said it doesn't meet their quality standard, but kinda phrased in a way that they released anyway because they had a timeframe. Say one bug that show for 100% of the players 100% of the time for 100% everything in a mode other than this one.

Again I believe him when he say they will patch and improve the game. But I don't believe for a second it is a bug, and he didn't say it is a bug, he said it doesn't happen in 60fps or photomode.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OTBWY said:
Manlytears said:

With all due respect...
indeed, Series S situation is shameful for microsoft. Results shown so far prove that the "model S" is a disappointment, the difference between an S and a PS5DE is absolutely monstrous, with a difference of just $ 100 in price.
My conclusion? Series S is a product designed to catch unsuspecting consumers who only look at the price, anyone with an understanding should opt for a PS5DE / PS5 / XSX.

At least the S allows for someone to put his/her game in rest mode and not crash.

Btw your sig is insane. Not positive insane, but insane insane. Assuming it's not a joke, you know Mario is the foundation of basically every modern platformer right?

It does go down to like 576p to run at 100-120fps though.

Xbox Series S:

It is soooo blurry compaired to PS5 or XSX, its nuts.
If I was a dev, I woulda just dropped 120fps mode on the Series S.
This is too big a drop in image quality imo, to give up for a mode few TVs support.
Who has brand new expensive tvs with 120fps,.... but buys a Series S anyways? Its a bad look.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
OTBWY said:

It does go down to like 576p to run at 100-120fps though.

Xbox Series S:

It is soooo blurry compaired to PS5 or XSX, its nuts.
If I was a dev, I woulda just dropped 120fps mode on the Series S.
This is too big a drop in image quality imo, to give up for a mode few TVs support.
Who has brand new expensive tvs with 120fps,.... but buys a Series S anyways? Its a bad look.

My TV is like 6 years old and do 120fps, but only at 1080p... still I won't use 120 for most games and wouldn't be happy with 576p either.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

OTBWY said:
Manlytears said:

With all due respect...

First, i come in peace...

Second...
Have you ever played Astro Bot VR? Amazing game, uses VR in such amazing way, and yeah i feel like at some point Nintendo will invest in Virtual Reality to create a new Mario experience. Also, yeah, many will claim Nintendo is the one that created the concept of a 3D platformer combined with Virtual Reality, will claim things like "Only Nintendo can be this creative" or "nintendo did this first"...

Also, Never said Mario isn't the most iconic platformer, or one of the originators of modern  platforme. I'm just saying the Astro Bot VR created something amazing and new... and that Nintendo will copy it at some point.

Note: you most likely think i'm talking about "Astro's Playroom for Ps5", it's a understandable mistake. I take no offences on your rather aggressive comments. Be at peace.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 22 November 2020

DonFerrari said:

My TV is like 6 years old and do 120fps, but only at 1080p... still I won't use 120 for most games and wouldn't be happy with 576p either.

HDMI 2.1 didn't exist 6 years ago.. There are plenty 120 hz tvs out there yet none accept 120 fps input unless they have hdmi 2.1

It's another nice trip up for the casual consumer.

Manlytears said:
OTBWY said:

First, i come in peace...

Second...
Have you ever played Astro Bot VR? Amazing game, uses VR in such amazing way, and yeah i feel like at some point Nintendo will invest in Virtual Reality to create a new Mario experience. Also, yeah, many will claim Nintendo is the one that created the concept of a 3D platformer combined with Virtual Reality, will claim things like "Only Nintendo can be this creative" or "nintendo did this first"...

Also, Never said Mario isn't the most iconic platformer, or one of the originators of modern  platforme. I'm just saying the Astro Bot VR created something amazing and new... and that Nintendo will copy it at some point.

I don't need to play your glorified tech demo to assert that your claim is ridiculous. I mean, if I look at the game itself it looks very much ripped from Mario. Even moreso than the new Little Big Planet game. And no, adaptive triggers don't matter.

Edit: You mean the VR game. My mistake. But.. still applies. VR doesn't matter. 

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

HDMI 2.1 didn't exist 6 years ago.. There are plenty 120 hz tvs out there yet none accept 120 fps input unless they have hdmi 2.1

It's another nice trip up for the casual consumer.

My TV is 2.0, and say it accepts 1080p120fps so I don't know, still don't really matter, for me 60fps is mostly unnecessary anyway.