By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Dirt 5

OTBWY said:
Manlytears said:

First, i come in peace...

Second...
Have you ever played Astro Bot VR? Amazing game, uses VR in such amazing way, and yeah i feel like at some point Nintendo will invest in Virtual Reality to create a new Mario experience. Also, yeah, many will claim Nintendo is the one that created the concept of a 3D platformer combined with Virtual Reality, will claim things like "Only Nintendo can be this creative" or "nintendo did this first"...

Also, Never said Mario isn't the most iconic platformer, or one of the originators of modern  platforme. I'm just saying the Astro Bot VR created something amazing and new... and that Nintendo will copy it at some point.

I don't need to play your glorified tech demo to assert that your claim is ridiculous. I mean, if I look at the game itself it looks very much ripped from Mario. Even moreso than the new Little Big Planet game. And no, adaptive triggers don't matter.

Edit: You mean the VR game. My mistake. But.. still applies. VR doesn't matter. 

i will have to agree with your edit., it's fair... VR doesn't matter right now.
For now VR is almost irrelevant, however I believe that  the technology has a future. When that future arrives, I believe that Nintendo will copy the concept created by Astro bot VR.
Also, I am happy to clarify any misunderstandings. And yes, "Astro's Playroom", despite being a good game (short, but still very good), does not compare with Mario, saying something different, in fact, is insane.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/inside-xbox-series-x-optimized-dirt-5/

"Q: What is it like developing on Xbox Series X?

A: Transitioning development to a new console platform, like Xbox Series X, is usually very painful. You have to deal with new tools, new workflows, new ways of thinking. This time around the team at Xbox brought me a new toolset called the Game Development Kit, which they already had up and running on Xbox One.

This meant that we could make the transition much earlier. In fact, we started doing the groundwork for Xbox Series X development long before we even received the hardware. This kind of thinking from Xbox allowed us to get a real head-start on next-gen development, so after receiving our early Xbox Series X hardware, we were up and running really quickly.

For me, the most important thing in making a videogame is the relationships. Working with Xbox, is a partnership – the team at Xbox is committed to helping us make a great videogame and they’ve shown that to me again and again. That means being open and honest about our experiences; what we’ve loved and perhaps even what we’ve found difficult in development has had meaningful, visible impact on the updates that I get for the tools for Series X. (Shout out to our development partner at Xbox, Richard Hackett! Thanks Rich!)

I’ve never worked on a console launch where, while we’re still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with."

- Technical Director at Codemasters David Springate  (direct quote)

This is straigth from the dev's on dirt 5's on mouths.

Praiseing how early they had a dev kit, how much they loved the new GDK, and how it allowed them a easy "jump start" on next gen developement.

This was from back in early june (dirt5 devs):

People keep saying "tools fault" , "they didnt have dev kits in time" ect.

Dirt 5 devs, praised both the toolset, and how easy to use it was, and claim to have had plenty of time with dev kits.

Did you ever think maybe they were lying and only singing praises to MS because MS paid for the marketing rights on Dirt 5? We've staright up had other developers say that the tools were late and radically redesigned compared to what they were used to on Xbox One *shrugs* Like I said, we will find out within a few months, if these launch games get patches that bring the Series X versions in line with the PS5, and if newly released 3rd parties in the coming months show smaller PS5 advantages and an eventual Xbox lead over time, we will know that it was a late tools/devkits thing. I can wait a few months to find out, I'm not in a rush to see which console is the real performance king this gen, can you wait to find out?

How could you claim they be lying all this time cuz they where bought and also that we shoukd belive them now and the tide will turn? 

Even where that to happen. Is that a good thing you should expect? I remember a time where straight up bullshit pr was scrutinize.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Manlytears said:
OTBWY said:

I don't need to play your glorified tech demo to assert that your claim is ridiculous. I mean, if I look at the game itself it looks very much ripped from Mario. Even moreso than the new Little Big Planet game. And no, adaptive triggers don't matter.

Edit: You mean the VR game. My mistake. But.. still applies. VR doesn't matter. 

For now VR is almost irrelevant, however I believe that  the technology has a future. When that future arrives, I believe that Nintendo will copy the concept created by Astro bot VR.
Also, I am happy to clarify any misunderstandings. And yes, "Astro's Playroom", despite being a good game (short, but still very good), does not compare with Mario, saying something different, in fact, is insane.

Sayin Astro's Playroom is a rip-off also isn't much good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:

Sayin Astro's Playroom is a rip-off also isn't much good.

indeed, his aggressiveness is quite unfortunate and calling "Astro's Playroom" a rip-off really is ridiculous, so I only agreed with "the edit."

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

How could you claim they be lying all this time cuz they where bought and also that we shoukd belive them now and the tide will turn? 

Even where that to happen. Is that a good thing you should expect? I remember a time where straight up bullshit pr was scrutinize.

Never said it was a good thing, but it is commonplace in the industry for 3rd party devs to make up bs praise for either MS or Sony depending on who has marketing rights on their game. 

If that's the case why are you so quick to belive them when they claim a patch will fix everuthing soon? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

If that's the case why are you so quick to belive them when they claim a patch will fix everuthing soon? 

Personally, I don't think one patch will fix everything, though I hope to be proven wrong. If the Game Core dev tools are still incomplete, and if the dev kits did go out late, it will probably take at least another month of optimization to get Series X caught up to PS5 on the 120hz mode, because the gap is quite significant now on that mode. But maybe they have gotten more optimization done in the last 12 days than I would have thought possible, and this upcoming patch will fix all of the performance issues. That is why I'm interested to see the DF test on the new patch, to see just how much this patch closes the gap between Series X and PS5, if it closes it at all.

If it is just a bug of selecting the profile of X1 or Series S like DF speculates then it wouldn't take one month to correct that part of the code.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

JRPGfan said:

reguarding nr 3)
Its not a matter of devs being lazy.
You can rule that out.

If it happends once? maybe, but not when its a patern thats developed (6 games outta 7, favor PS5 (so far outta the compairsons we ve seen)).
1 dev can be lazy about porting to a system, but they cant all be.

Also 2 of these, where by studios with Xbox Marketing.
They wouldnt do a sloppy/lazy job, when their getting paid marketing rights to show off their new game (in its best possible light).
It doesnt make any sense to think so.

Ehmm, excuse me, but what is the link here? Marketing rights have nothing to do with the quality of the game. Because when a platform holder pays the publisher to have the game marketed for their platform, there is no such thing in the signed contract as "The game should look better on our console than on our rival's console". They just pay a sum to publisher to put their platform's name on every marketing material and that's about it. Not to mention that usually it's the publisher who gets this money and not the developer.

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

If it is just a bug of selecting the profile of X1 or Series S like DF speculates then it wouldn't take one month to correct that part of the code.

Even if it is a bug, just enabling the higher graphics settings on Series X might not be enough to catch Series X up to PS5, enabling those higher graphics settings could potentially lower the framerate on the 120 fps mode to below the framerate on the PS5 120 fps mode, which would take extra optimization time to fix. We'll have to wait and see the test of the patch. 

If it is a bug then it should just be a matter of correcting it, if it brings performance to erratic sub 120fps than it is pretty clear it wasn't a bug.

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

Even if it is a bug, just enabling the higher graphics settings on Series X might not be enough to catch Series X up to PS5, enabling those higher graphics settings could potentially lower the framerate on the 120 fps mode to below the framerate on the PS5 120 fps mode, which would take extra optimization time to fix. We'll have to wait and see the test of the patch. 

If it is a bug then it should just be a matter of correcting it, if it brings performance to erratic sub 120fps than it is pretty clear it wasn't a bug.

Exactly. What he claims is a devs choice and trying to pass off as a bug. It canot be both a choice and a bug at the same time depending on the outcome. 

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Exactly. What he claims is a devs choice and trying to pass off as a bug. It canot be both a choice and a bug at the same time depending on the outcome. 

It is a very special bug, one that worsen graphical quality but improve framerate and stability... in other places also know as trade-off.