By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2020 (Nov 09 - Nov 15)

RolStoppable said:

If I remember correctly, Nintendo's financial results already confirmed that by now New Horizons is the best-selling game of all-time in Japan, 

Depends on how you count the Pokemon games.

Red/Green/Blue sold 10.23mil combined:  https://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0006/05/index.html 

Animal Crossing: New Horizon have sold 8.18mil: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200507_3e.pdf + https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/201105_4e.pdf

Around the Network

This is a big week for software with 7 new titles in the top 10. However, Switch hardware looks like another typical week. Switch is down YoY this week. For whatever reason Nintendo isn't shipping hardware at holiday levels yet. Maybe next week? PS5 hardware isn't terribly impressive either only being a little above Switch on a launch week. Hardware shipments need to start increasing soon.

I find it funny resetera's people count Dragon Quest for PS5 exclusivity. 

I believe, with luck, Ps5 LTD  4-6.5M

If you know DQ history, the game launch on the top seller Japanese platform, the only exception is DQXI, because Horii will, and not go well. 

The only hopes are Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy, for a system sellers boost. 

One year we know the real potential sales of PS5. 

Painful launch for the PS5... Only marginally better than the awful PS3 launch in Japan, and only a third of the PS4. I can't see Japanese gamers going for it until the slim version releases..

Miles Morales tanked on both systems, really thought there was more hype, it's probably just in japan tho even tho the first spiderman did pretty well.Next week for Switch should be pretty big. Age of Calamity release + Ring Fit Switch bundle.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
xMetroid said:
Miles Morales tanked on both systems, really thought there was more hype, it's probably just in japan tho even tho the first spiderman did pretty well.Next week for Switch should be pretty big. Age of Calamity release + Ring Fit Switch bundle.

Technically Miles Morales is a smaller add-on type of game, a bit like Torna: the Golden Country or Uncharted Lost Legacy if you prefer. So even with Spiderman's popularity, I wouldn't expect it to break any type of record here.

I mean they marketed it has it's own thing and specified it wasn't a DLC unlike Torna which literally is but got a physical release. With the hype Miles morales is getting lately with the movies and comics i really thought this would perform better than that. 

OTBWY said:
It's pretty clear that next week it will be all Switch again. Pretty much unstoppable in the face of new consoles. Contrary to what some people thought would be the end of the Switch. Anyway, the real killer here is Animal Crossing, still selling like mad.

Who expected the PS5 to be the end of the Switch in Japan? Please point them out so we can all point and laugh.

270K units for Pikmin 3, that's really sweet. Are Japanese players planning to use their PS5s as media players? The fact that only one game broke in the top 10 and with low amount of units hurts to see. Or maybe they went digital, that should be it.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
270K units for Pikmin 3, that's really sweet. Are Japanese players planning to use their PS5s as media players? The fact that only one game broke in the top 10 and with low amount of units hurts to see. Or maybe they went digital, that should be it.

Id say its a combo of digital sales plus we'll likely see quite a few PS5 titles in the top 30. 

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Sakuna and Kingdom Hearts selling higher on Switch, after the former wasn't even going to release on it initially. There's definitely a market for third parties on Switch, contrary to stereotype.

An underwhelming start for next gen consoles in Japan.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 November 2020