By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 vs Series X performance - A dev opinion

JRPGfan said:
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

The dev is talking about ease of use, not power. Series X is still more powerful regardless of how anyone spins it. The devkits are easier to use for PS5 than Series X, hence why devs were complaining about getting dev kits late from MS, so likely Xbox is lagging behind in that sense. At the end of the day, the difference between both consoles were always going to be minimal and that is how it has turned out. Just like how everyone was saying ps5 SSD is 100% faster than Xbox and we would see loading times twice as fast on ps5, but looking at real world examples it ends up being 1-3 seconds difference or Series X loading faster in cases.

for the SDK being late, basically Codemaster dev denies it and say both devkits were hot and the difference would be dev experience with them (and well you can't say they didn't had time to adapt to DirectX12), unless you want to say Sony SDK are better.

And the interview the dev in OP talks about power and how to use it, and that even though on paper Xbox is stronger 12>10 but if that can't be used because of other aspects of the HW limiting it use (besides tool and experience) you may end up not touching that difference. And goes on to say that what he expect is that Xbox due to the higher CU and Tflop will push pixels easier but other aspects of IQ on the game PS5 may have an advantage due to the customizations.

He goes on the brag a lot more about PS5 then that and his bias is as clear as day no wonder his original post was removed.

I mean just look at some of his topics.

"Doesn't this difference decline at the end of the generation, when developers become more familiar with the Series X hardware?

No, because the PlayStation API generally gives devs more freedom, and usually at the end of each generation, Sony consoles produce more detailed games. For example, in the early seventh generation, even multi-platform games for both consoles performed poorly on the PlayStation 3. But late in the generation Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us came out on the console. I think the next generation will be the same."

This is just too funny so Only PS5 can expect such improvements at the end of the gen.. But this next part is what makes it even more funny and showes his bias.

"Could the Hyperthreading feature included in the X series be the Microsoft's winning ace at the end of gerneration?

Technically, hypertheading has been on desktop computers since Pentium 4, and each physical core considers the CPU as two virtual cores, and in most cases helps with performance. Does the Series X feature allow the developer to decide for themselves whether they want to use these virtual cores or turn them off with more CPU clocks? And that's exactly what you're saying. It's not exactly a big deal to make a local decision from the start, so the use of hyperthreading is likely to be used at later time of the generation not at first."

Yep. The is so much more that can be pointed out in that post to show how biased he is but ill leave anyone else who wants to look to decide for themselfs.

Also Don That guy from Codemasters didnt shoot down anything. Please show where he said MS XDK was fully developed and not just that its "Still good as it is". If anything if its this good compared to Sonys SDK and its early that should be a good thing right?. I mean when he is literally asked are things missing in the MS GDK that he would like to use he says Yes but i cant tell you about that yet...

I would guess you can see why you think he is biased right?

The Codemaster did shoot down, when he say both SDKs were on similar situation "on hot", then it can't be used to justify Xbox multiplat performing worse because the SDK was less mature.

And about missing features on the MS SDK, are you going the route of only MS SDK will improve over time and the same stuff that was said for Xbox the whole gen but never came to fruition? Because let's remember that this gen X1 was always underperforming compared to PS4 and no amount of secret sauce, DX12, and all the rest that was said to close the gap and show Xbox was stronger ever showed up.

Changing what i said much? putting words in my mouth?.

Read over what i said again no where did i say only MS's SDK will improve over time. Or anything about secret sauce..

In fact its that dev from in your OP ali something? that says pretty much "Its only Sony consoles that improve over time".

So maybe thats where your getting the mistake? and yes that is pretty biased on his part. Like i said no wonder it was removed, after he looked over it again and seen some of his inconsistency's he prob felt pretty dumb.

Your putting words in the dev's mouth.... or didnt read what was said in the interview properly.

He did not say "only playstation SKD will improve overtime" or how developers take advantage of them.
He said, he doesnt believe the differnce (in performance) will shrink, due to say Xbox devs getting better at useing the SKD over time vs the PS5 one.

Thats massively differnt than what your saying he said (after complaining about putting words in peoples mouths).

Basically both units are about equal, in terms of performance, according to this dev at Crytek, from back in April.

Exactly. He is basically saying that since both SDKs will improve over time, but PS5 is more dedicated, he doesn't expect Xbox to gain ground due to this. That is the reason I said he is only seeing Bias in that devs interview because of his own bias.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Drakrami said:

Finally some truth to post and we are seeing it in the real world with AC: V comparisions the PS5 version is slightly better in terms of graphics. Xbox is so eager to claim the power title after losing it last gen; they think it is the reason they lost the console war. Sony really did some careful planning here investing in SSD and Dualsense controllers to get an edge.

Not to bust your bubble here.

The SSD and Duelsense is not the reason AC V runs better on PS5. Infact it has nothing to do with Sony in general. Its a Ubisoft game thats unoptimised which is expected. I would not be suprised if the PC version runs worse than both console versions

DonFerrari said:

Software Development Kit is my guess...

You are correct.

SvennoJ said:

This interview isn't about power, it's about ease of programming with a custom (re)made Software Development Kit to get the best out of the hardware. It says over and over, tf don't matter, how you use the hardware is what matters. Which is also why the Switch is working so well. Custom made.

MS can say they have the complete RDNA 2 feature set (DirectX) yet in practice DirectX is a bottleneck compared to a custom made SDK for the hardware it runs on. The benefit of coding with standard libraries is easier porting to PC and easier / more foolproof BC. Hence Sony gives out a warning that some ps4 games my act up on the ps5.

So in essence Sony was correct in stating they still believe in generations (new SDK) despite offering cross-gen exclusives. While MS continues to offer a PC in a box with easier cross platform releases (between PC and XBox) There are benefits and drawbacks to both approaches. Personally, I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog and Guerilla games can pull off in the second half of the generation.

The broken English of the translation made me cringe.
That and the "numbing down" of information almost made some points factually incorrect, but still got the point across I guess for those who are less technically inclined.

Developers don't need to use Direct X on the Xbox Series X, there are actually other API's, the Xbox One was the same... Sure it had Direct X, but it also had a lower-level API for developers who wanted to extract as much as they can out of the machine.

JRPGfan said:

In part yes.... he is saying thats part of why the differnce between the two is so small.

Its much easier to get a PS5 to reach close to full usage of its hardware potental, and sustain it, than it is with a xbox series X.
So much so, that games might actually run better on a PS5 (reguardless of the 12 is bigger than 10, number list wars).

^ this is his point (so not only ease of use), its related to power too (how well a console runs games).

He basically claims theres near no differnce in performance between the two due to x,y,z  (effeciency).

"Series X is still more powerful regardless of how anyone spins it." - Smroadkill15

^ this dev, says it doesnt matter, because of how hard to sustain that level of usage of the hardware is.
in the real world applications, the differnce basically doesnt excist (his opinion and other devs he talked too).
(he puts it down to various differnt things, but thats what the dev says)

"despite the differences in CU count, the two consoles’ performance is almost the same." - Ali Salehi  (the dev in OP)

It's to early to count all the eggs before the chickens have hatched.
The thing with an SDK is it can be improved post-launch to unlock extra performance and capability... And the Xbox Series X does have the hardware edge... The Xbox Series X is a very well-tuned machine, just like the Playstation 5.

Both consoles have their Pro's and Con's when it comes to rendering a video game, both have their strengths and weaknesses and that will mostly be showcased in exclusive titles rather than multiplats.

DonFerrari said:

No, that is impossible, MS is totally transparent compared to mischeavous Sony.

They are both for-profit companies, I wouldn't have an allegiance to either, they won't send you cake and flowers on your birthday or care about it for that matter. :P

DonFerrari said:

You said the SDK rumor wasn't denied, then if you accept that both SDKs will improve and that Codemaster was saying they were in similar state, then you are accepting the SDK rumor was denied no way around that. Because to use SDK as an excuse for the multiplats difference would imply that one of the SDKs is at a worse state. You can't have both.

Nope, he isn't saying that it is only Sony that improves over time. What he is saying is that since the Sony tools are more dedicated to a single system, and it will also improve, you won't see the improvement of MS tools changing the landscape.

Nah. Microsoft and Sony's tools will both update and improve overtime as Microsoft and Sony learn more about their own hardware and it's various nuances.

Azzanation said:

Not to bust your bubble here.

The SSD and Duelsense is not the reason AC V runs better on PS5. Infact it has nothing to do with Sony in general. Its a Ubisoft game thats unoptimised which is expected. I would not be suprised if the PC version runs worse than both console versions

Yeah Ubisoft games typically run well on a single target platform and the rest are treated like second class citizens. - Speaking as a PC gamer here... At no time should I have 10x the hardware capability of a console and get an experience that is only equivalent or even worst.

This is why Ubisoft doesn't get my support.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 19 November 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:
I expect the differences to be minimal at best. People worry too much about power wars. Games matter far more.

Yep. Games matter more no doubt.

I posted the interview because that may help explain a little why we are seeing the PS5 advantage on the start of the gen (seems like SDK was debunked), and that sure it can improve along the gen with better utilization of the CU advantage of Xbox. But yep in the end for consumer themselves the differences won't be easily perceived.

I have no idea what SDK references.  Either way, I don't get too excited with the whole ps5 has 3 seconds of loading with 58 fps versus 5 seconds of loading and 56 fps.  People exaggerate negligible differences.

Heck the Switch is a fraction of the ps4 Pro power, I still have a Switch and love the heck out of it. 

Power, IMHO, is overrated.  Demon isn't amazing because it looks good, but rather because of the brilliant design.  

Software Development Kit is my guess... basically it was speculated (By Digital Foundry and seems like some devs were anonymously sourced and confirmed), but then an interview with Codemaster would debunk it (he basically said both SDKs were in similar maturity level with only experience with each differed) that the tools for development on Series was severely delayed compared to PS5 and that this would explain Series having inferior performance to PS5 when specs suggested otherwise.

I did like the looks of the new Demon =p

On people exaggerating the differences I totally agree with you. Even if Series consistently outperformed PS5 by 15-20% while playing you would have a hard time noticing that (unless of course there is an issue with the game).

Mario Kart 8 is the game were I quite caring about Digital Foundry reports.  There was something about how it was 60 fps, but than was 58 fps, than 60 fps.  Or something.  To this day I still have no idea what they are talking about.  

I get people are interested in specifications and performance, which good for them.  It just isn't my thing.  I've been pleased with graphics since the ps3/360, it helps that I started on the NES so gaming overall (even the Switch) just blows my mind with how great things look (and run).  It isn't like we have N64 games running at 8 fps anymore.

Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U ran with 59fps. That's an issue on a 60 hz display. Since 1/60 of the time, you had the same frame twice, which looked like stutter. And it was really distracting to me. It got fixed with the Switch version.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Pemalite said:
JRPGfan said:

In part yes.... he is saying thats part of why the differnce between the two is so small.

Its much easier to get a PS5 to reach close to full usage of its hardware potental, and sustain it, than it is with a xbox series X.
So much so, that games might actually run better on a PS5 (reguardless of the 12 is bigger than 10, number list wars).

^ this is his point (so not only ease of use), its related to power too (how well a console runs games).

He basically claims theres near no differnce in performance between the two due to x,y,z  (effeciency).

"Series X is still more powerful regardless of how anyone spins it." - Smroadkill15

^ this dev, says it doesnt matter, because of how hard to sustain that level of usage of the hardware is.
in the real world applications, the differnce basically doesnt excist (his opinion and other devs he talked too).
(he puts it down to various differnt things, but thats what the dev says)

"despite the differences in CU count, the two consoles’ performance is almost the same." - Ali Salehi  (the dev in OP)

It's to early to count all the eggs before the chickens have hatched.
The thing with an SDK is it can be improved post-launch to unlock extra performance and capability... And the Xbox Series X does have the hardware edge... The Xbox Series X is a very well-tuned machine, just like the Playstation 5.

Both consoles have their Pro's and Con's when it comes to rendering a video game, both have their strengths and weaknesses and that will mostly be showcased in exclusive titles rather than multiplats.

So far we have 6 hatched chickens (games releases, were you can compaire head to head).
5 outta the 6, run better on the PS5.

You can blame SDK and how well versions are optimised for each console.... and maybe theres truth to that (we dont know).
So far, all we know is how these games stack up head to head.

*edit: Though we have had Dirt 5, devs say the SDK was fine, and about same state for both.

"And the Xbox Series X does have the hardware edge... The Xbox Series X is a very well-tuned machine, just like the Playstation 5."

On neogaf people are saying:

1) AMD GPU's have 8-10 CU's pr Shader Array because this is most effecient (ei. drawbacks to more).
The Xbox has 14 CU's pr Shader Array, thus loseing abit of performance on this count.

2) Geometry engines are differnt between the two consoles.

3) Higher clocks on GPU, is better if say a work load, miss-fire's or isnt used.  This is like how Intel single thread performance, favored gameing for along time. (where fewer cores going faster, worked out better, than more cores but slower)

4) PS5 has Cache scrubbers, for the GPU, that allows it to dump partial loads of data. This leads to a performance increase.

5) Sony did something to the shaders. (this is just me repeating what GeordieMp wrote) Says this is apparent from Patents.

6) PS5 cpu appears to have shared cache (unified), while the same isnt true on the XSX.

7) MS sacrificed some consoles centric performance efficiencies by adding more API layers to help in their Gamepass, no-generations thinking.

This might not just all be SKD related.
if its down to hardware differnces, this could be the result for the entire gen.

While thats abit early to say, its not that far fetched, going from info we currently have.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 November 2020

Around the Network

On many multiplats, where direct comparison is possible, performance of both PS5 and XBSX versions will be liimited from the fact of being scaled up versions of games that must run as flawlessly as possible on XBSS too. In the best cases just CPU and main RAM usage will be necessarily taylored to XBSS, while graphics will be natively taylored to PS5 and XBSX and scaled down on XBSS. XBSS... More than 70 years passed and those f*ing SS keep on doing damage. The good thing is that on PC 16GB main RAM plus as much graphics RAM as each gamer wants or can afford will be totally fine for the whole next gen.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

David Springate, technical lead at Codmasters (working on Dirt 5) says he was very happy with Series API (GDK). They worked closely with Microsoft for the game.

Both platforms perform about equally currently and run well which is all that matters.

Nope, somewhere the SDK from MS must be less mature to explain the performance not showing up =p

The performance isn't showing up because devs are not currently "choosing" a platform to bench. They are picking whichever suits better, and performance differences will only show once games start using the majority of GPU instead of having significant overhead for anything except ray tracing and upscaling. 

Simply put, we are not seeing the kind of game that can tax the hardware significantly. Performance difference is only going to show once the PS5 hits peak performance and the Xbox Series X can still spare going further. 

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

David Springate, technical lead at Codmasters (working on Dirt 5) says he was very happy with Series API (GDK). They worked closely with Microsoft for the game.

Both platforms perform about equally currently and run well which is all that matters.

Nope, somewhere the SDK from MS must be less mature to explain the performance not showing up =p

The performance isn't showing up because devs are not currently "choosing" a platform to bench. They are picking whichever suits better, and performance differences will only show once games start using the majority of GPU instead of having significant overhead for anything except ray tracing and upscaling. 

Simply put, we are not seeing the kind of game that can tax the hardware significantly. Performance difference is only going to show once the PS5 hits peak performance and the Xbox Series X can still spare going further. 

So MS have a marketing deal with Ubi for this game and said it will perform better on Xbox, but Ubi decided to prioritize PS5? Sure.

Same for the other 4 games?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:

So far we have 6 hatched chickens (games releases, were you can compaire head to head).
5 outta the 6, run better on the PS5.

You can blame SDK and how well versions are optimised for each console.... and maybe theres truth to that (we dont know).
So far, all we know is how these games stack up head to head.

*edit: Though we have had Dirt 5, devs say the SDK was fine, and about same state for both.

I'm not blaming it on anything. I am sure we will get clarification from the "horses mouth" at some point.

Assume nothing.

JRPGfan said:

1) AMD GPU's have 8-10 CU's pr Shader Array because this is most effecient (ei. drawbacks to more).
The Xbox has 14 CU's pr Shader Array, thus loseing abit of performance on this count.

I have read the AMD RDNA whitepaper and actually can understand it. - You sure you want to go down this rabbit hole?
Hint: There are Pro's and Con's to each approach, neither approach is incorrect.

JRPGfan said:

2) Geometry engines are differnt between the two consoles.

And which do you think is better?
Note. I am asking what *you* think is better. I already know the answer.

JRPGfan said:

3) Higher clocks on GPU, is better if say a work load, miss-fire's or isnt used.  This is like how Intel single thread performance, favored gameing for along time. (where fewer cores going faster, worked out better, than more cores but slower)

Not really. Your understanding on graphics rendering pipelines is clearly limited on this front it seems.

The difference between a CPU and GPU is non-comparable.

CPU's specialize in serialized, highly complex, branching workloads that are extremely intricate.
GPU's however specialize in parallel, relatively simple workloads, but there are lots of them.

There is a reason why a GPU in 2020 is approaching 5120 "cores" where a CPU tops out at around 64 "cores" and a CPU will push higher clockrates than a GPU... Because a CPU needs to do as many instructions per clock to optimize throughput... GPU's can just blow out core counts to achieve the same.

CPU's also allocate a massive amount of die area and transistors in obfuscating memory access to keep those powerful cores fed and going, GPU's generally don't, they just allocate another task because in graphics there is always more work to be done.

JRPGfan said:

4) PS5 has Cache scrubbers, for the GPU, that allows it to dump partial loads of data. This leads to a performance increase.

The Xbox Series X can cache snoop and do the same and eject data from caches from each chip.

JRPGfan said:

5) Sony did something to the shaders. (this is just me repeating what GeordieMp wrote) Says this is apparent from Patents.

And what is that "something" and what is the significant of that "something?"
Stay tuned. Because right now, no one knows.

RDNA is built on top of the GCN foundations that the Xbox One and Playstation 4 came with, it's actually a highly modular design, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some customization in order to bolster backwards compatibility.

JRPGfan said:

6) PS5 cpu appears to have shared cache (unified), while the same isnt true on the XSX.

That is because the Xbox Series X is using standard Zen CCX's.

We are not sure if the Playstation 5 is doing the same yet, no point speculating without all the facts laid out on the table.

JRPGfan said:

7) MS sacrificed some consoles centric performance efficiencies by adding more API layers to help in their Gamepass, no-generations thinking.

This has always been the case.

The Original Xbox launched with Direct X 8 (Or rather a derivative of such) and a low-level API, developers had the option to use whatever suited their development goals, Direct X allowed for easier development at the expense of performance.
But developers could also use the low-level API which resulted in games like Half Life 2, Morrowind, Doom looking like the ducks nuts at the time.

The Xbox 360 launched with Direct X 9 (Or rather a derivative of such) and it's own low level, the start of the generation every developer and their pet cat was running with Direct X, but towards the end of the generation developers *had* to use the low-level API to make games like Halo 4 possible.

The Xbox One launched with Direct X and it's own low-level API's as well, both of which received refinement and updates during the entire generation, developers initially started out leveraging Direct X, in-fact many smaller-scale titles still use Direct X, especially indies.

But any game pushing graphics boundries are using the low-level API.

Contrary to popular belief the Xbox has more than just Direct X.

And Sony is no fucking different.

The Playstation 4 for example has LibGNM as it's low-level high-performing API, But the console also has Vulkan and OpenGL (Direct X 12 and 11 competitors essentially.)
Developers who wish to push the graphics envelope are obviously using LibGNM, where-as earlier launch titles relied on Vulkan or OpenGL... And many smaller scale games, especially indie are relying on Vulkan and OpenGL even today.

And the exact same thing exists on the Playstation 5.

So whilst you are criticizing the Xbox for doing something... You have been absolutely blinded to the fact that Sony does the *exact* same thing, they are all different tools to help different types of developers to build and release games for a platform.

Consider yourself educated on this topic... And hopefully no more FUD gets spread.

JRPGfan said:

This might not just all be SKD related.
if its down to hardware differnces, this could be the result for the entire gen.

While thats abit early to say, its not that far fetched, going from info we currently have.

Agreed. It might not be SDK related.

I would rather not speculate and spread false information until we have enough evidence in hand to substantiate something.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Alby_da_Wolf said:
On many multiplats, where direct comparison is possible, performance of both PS5 and XBSX versions will be liimited from the fact of being scaled up versions of games that must run as flawlessly as possible on XBSS too. In the best cases just CPU and main RAM usage will be necessarily taylored to XBSS, while graphics will be natively taylored to PS5 and XBSX and scaled down on XBSS. XBSS... More than 70 years passed and those f*ing SS keep on doing damage. The good thing is that on PC 16GB main RAM plus as much graphics RAM as each gamer wants or can afford will be totally fine for the whole next gen.

16 GB system ram isn't really enough for FS2020, I will go for 24 or 32 GB for my next pc or laptop. Windows 10 currently uses a 26 GB page file on my SSD to keep FS2020 and Firefox co-existing. When I had a smaller page file on my HDD the game slowed down to a crawl and/or crashed.

Task manager only shows it having 6 GB in use atm (saw it up to 10GB before), but I never trust that number. It never adds up to what's in use in total or why such a large page file is necessary, but it is necessary or it crashes. Committed 32.7 GB / 39.9 GB.