By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

LudicrousSpeed said:
Let’s see.... yep Xbox sold out everywhere I checked. Still unable to find one for myself. Same with PS5, and neither has a killer app launch exclusive. Seems he’s completely right.

I'd say Demons Souls is an exclusive system seller.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What he is saying is we dont give a shit about our costumers , they will still buy it.

I just dont understand the excuses people make in the name of papa phill, dude does nothing, everyday what we see is him giving interviews with his made up nice guy persona to camouflage his incompetence in the things that are important , like you know, games...

Phil has showed results though.  Just look at the number of first party studios MS had before Phil took the wheel  and how many they have now. Its just that the studios unfortunately werent able to ship this holiday.

It’s proven by ps2. People are sold on promise and anticipation way more than on delivery.

hes right, but it would be nice to have something to carry momentum

eva01beserk said:
Was this a problem before? Everyone knew what the issue with halo was. They accepted it needed more time. But Phil has to do his daily attention whoring and bring negative attention to an issue that was pretty much forgiven already. This guy really needs his spotlight time reduced. He is just hurting the brand more trying to spin when spin is not needed.

He's literally answering questions he's being asked. If you really think Phil is hurting the Xbox brand, then I just don't know what to say. Imagine if Don was still in charge, Xbox might not being be around anymore. At least the future looks bright for the Xbox brand, where at the beginning of last gen, there was no way anyone could say the same thing confidently. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:
Was this a problem before? Everyone knew what the issue with halo was. They accepted it needed more time. But Phil has to do his daily attention whoring and bring negative attention to an issue that was pretty much forgiven already. This guy really needs his spotlight time reduced. He is just hurting the brand more trying to spin when spin is not needed.

He's literally answering questions he's being asked. If you really think Phil is hurting the Xbox brand, then I just don't know what to say. Imagine if Don was still in charge, Xbox might not being be around anymore. At least the future looks bright for the Xbox brand, where at the beginning of last gen, there was no way anyone could say the same thing confidently. 

Don might have been much worse, does not take away from phil being bad. And I dont mean the way he has handled xbox, cuz there has been some improvements even tho none of their acquisitions have bared any fruit and dont seem to untill at least 2022. But his constant PR spin is detrimental. Theres no need for interviews or 20 tweets a day. He is like the trump of gaming. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

LurkerJ said:
sales2099 said:
LurkerJ said:
Xbox Series doesn't need a system seller in 2021 as well, by the looks of things.

Halo is still a system seller. Even Halo 5 was a system seller. All the jokes and memes will make the launch all the sweeter. 

Sure. I'd be shocked if Halo is a 2021 title though, if it is, it will be poorly received.

I don’t see why not. You may not be in the know but reliable insiders say the game is content complete. Given it was meant to be out by now that makes sense.

Anything now is purely technical, which is where 99% of the July show criticisms come from. The point of the delay is so that it wouldn’t be poorly received, so that comment makes little sense. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Well I mean he's not wrong but still it's a bit dirty to say that.

eva01beserk said:
smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

Don might have been much worse, does not take away from phil being bad. And I dont mean the way he has handled xbox, cuz there has been some improvements even tho none of their acquisitions have bared any fruit and dont seem to untill at least 2022. But his constant PR spin is detrimental. Theres no need for interviews or 20 tweets a day. He is like the trump of gaming. 

Grounded even in early access has been played by 5 million people :). But I can see how it’s frustrating. When he talks people like us dissect it. Those who don’t want to hear him are suckered in to the conversation, just like now lol. 

In the end his interviews get us gamers talking Xbox like it or not. While Sony stays largely quiet. In the end I think many are jelly only Xbox execs talking...because I’m 100% sure if Sony execs talked more you guys would eat it up. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

He is right. No one(who is sensible) is arguing if the ps5 or series x has the better launch lineup. Ps5 smokes the series X without a doubt. With that said, does anyone think if the ps5 didn't have Demon Souls, Miles Morales, and Sackboy at launch, it would have really effected the sales of the console or the system wouldn't have sold out? No, because the brand is more powerful than any launch lineup, and there is enough good 3rd party games to satisfy the majority of owners for the time being. Same is said for Xbox. What matters more is the 1st year of titles and going forward after that. When you look at the lineup for Xbox in the next 1-3 years, there is really nothing to worry about. I can say that confidently where last gen, I couldn't.