By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

SKMBlake said:
I'm pretty sure Reggie had a same kind of interview when the Wii U was sold out and sold 1.2 million during its first weekBut we all know how it turned out

Reggie claimed the Wii U had a stellar launch library with Mario at launch, Call of Duty and everything... He then went on to say it was sold out everywhere and if you see one you better snatch it up.

I do think sales will cool off, though. Not because of anything the PS4 or Xbox Series is doing wrong. I just don't see the magic of the new hardware compared to 8th gen. Will I personally buy them both? Most likely. But something is definitely missing.

Around the Network

My take.. maybe, maybe not.. but xbox isn't really in a position to play the waiting game this gen due to the drubbing they got last gen. yes, gamepass.. awesome, but still got drubbed overall by sony and ninty last gen, and not just by a little. Perception is key, as yes, third party can sustain between the droughts of first party stuff, but when you need to prove your first party stuff is worth buying their console for (and a new console) and you really have nothing to show, especially at launch.. that's going to play big into that perception.  And when you have the most powerful console but nothing that can show what a most powerful console can do.. 

Makes no sense to buy a shiny new box to continue to play stuff I can already play with what I already have. Xbox needed to ball out right out of the gate.. time will tell if this hurts the perception.

Last edited by BillyBong - on 13 November 2020

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

This is just their way of damage controlling for their lack of games and from the look of it, they gonna need more of that thoughtout next year.

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
For the initial Holiday sales? Of course not. For long term sustainability? Absolutely. Phil is forgetting that come Holidays 2021 people are going to include Sony's stellar launch window exclusives into their console buying calculus. If Xbox just has Halo Infinite in 2021, and Sony has TLoU Multiplayer Edition, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Ragnarok, Ratchet, and Forbidden West, you can bet a lot of customers will be lost to Sony.

I wouldn’t call it stellar. Its decent. It’s cross gen games and a PS3 remake, which as good as Demon Souls is, it has niche appeal due to its unforgiving difficulty.

I can easily argue the “buying calculus” includes Bethesda for anybody who is interested in Starfield or plays Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc etc, knowing if they want the sequels they need a Xbox over PS. All MS has to do is show any combination of these IPs via trailers if they won’t be ready for some time. Just saying there’s more then one way to secure a purchase. 

Also got to factor in other things like unannounced games for the year, timed 3rd party games on both sides, possible delays (people seem skeptical GoW will make 2021). Contrary to popular belief, Halo isn’t the only Xbox IP launching next year.

Finally I don’t see it as a matter of losing customers to Sony. It’s merely the status quo at the moment  Given how this gen ended up Xbox has nowhere to go but up and vice versa for Sony. 

Demon's Souls and Ratchet aren't crossgen as far as I know. No Souls game is truly hard. Just take the game halfway seriously and summon three sunbros to every bossfight. 2021 will still mostly be a fight for early adopters, and those players will skew more to the hardcore end of the spectrum. So Demon's Souls being a little challenging shouldn't be an issue.  I agree that Crossgen for Morales and Horizon 2 makes for a lot weaker of a lineup than if they just made those games PS5 exclusive. 

MS has yet to come right out and say that Bethesda games will never come to PS5. Any chance MS has to brag they are going to brag. Since they haven't bragged about Bethesda exclusivity yet, then clearly it isn't in the works. Keeping those games permanently off PS5 goes against their "exclusives are evil" ethos. I don't think they want to hurt their  disingenuous "Pro-Consumer" image. 

If someone only plans on owning a single non-nintendo console, and  hasn't bought a next gen non-nintendo console yet, then they are up for grabs from either Sony or MS. If Sony grabs them first, then MS just lost a customer and vice versa. You can't look at last gen and assume that everyone is going to stick to the same brand they had. Sure, most will, but there's enough swing consumers that will go either direction at the start of a new gen. A new generation is supposed to be a total reset anyway. Right? 

I mean it does kind of make sense. Let hype and gamepass sell it now, save the heavier hitters for holiday and summer 2021. Once the hype dies down, announce some launch windows and dates to see it shoot right back up. Plus Halo needed more time, I would rather wait a bit longer and have something great than rush it out broken.

The XSX is sold out into 2021 this year, they really don't need exclusive games at launch. Especially for someone like me where gamepass alone offers me more than the PS5 could ever hope to at launch. I skipped out on most MS games in gen 8, but played most of Sony's. It makes more sense to have gamepass make them all available to me so I can play them inbetween 3rd party games for just 5 extra bucks a month (since ultimate comes with live GOLD). Hell I can even catch a few newer 3rd party games I missed as well with it.  From both a financial and games standpoint, XSX is clearly the better option in this case.

When it comes to the PS5, the two main games that interest me is Horizon FW and GoW5. Since Horizon is coming to my PS4 Pro, I have no reason to buy a PS5 till GoW is released. Every gamers has different needs, and that should never be overlooked.

On the other side, anyone with an XBox ONE X should start with PS5 so they can see what Sony has to offer as well. They already have a beast console that can use gamepass, so it would make sense for them to wait till games built exclusively for the XSX come out. Again, different gamers have different needs.

Last edited by Shiken - on 13 November 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
For the initial Holiday sales? Of course not. For long term sustainability? Absolutely. Phil is forgetting that come Holidays 2021 people are going to include Sony's stellar launch window exclusives into their console buying calculus. If Xbox just has Halo Infinite in 2021, and Sony has TLoU Multiplayer Edition, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Ragnarok, Ratchet, and Forbidden West, you can bet a lot of customers will be lost to Sony.

I wouldn’t call it stellar. Its decent. It’s cross gen games and a PS3 remake, which as good as Demon Souls is, it has niche appeal due to its unforgiving difficulty.

I can easily argue the “buying calculus” includes Bethesda for anybody who is interested in Starfield or plays Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc etc, knowing if they want the sequels they need a Xbox over PS. All MS has to do is show any combination of these IPs via trailers if they won’t be ready for some time. Just saying there’s more then one way to secure a purchase. 

Also got to factor in other things like unannounced games for the year, timed 3rd party games on both sides, possible delays (people seem skeptical GoW will make 2021). Contrary to popular belief, Halo isn’t the only Xbox IP launching next year.

Finally I don’t see it as a matter of losing customers to Sony. It’s merely the status quo at the moment  Given how this gen ended up Xbox has nowhere to go but up and vice versa for Sony. 

Demon's Souls and Ratchet aren't crossgen as far as I know. No Souls game is truly hard. Just take the game halfway seriously and summon three sunbros to every bossfight. 2021 will still mostly be a fight for early adopters, and those players will skew more to the hardcore end of the spectrum. So Demon's Souls being a little challenging shouldn't be an issue.  I agree that Crossgen for Morales and Horizon 2 makes for a lot weaker of a lineup than if they just made those games PS5 exclusive. 

MS has yet to come right out and say that Bethesda games will never come to PS5. Any chance MS has to brag they are going to brag. Since they haven't bragged about Bethesda exclusivity yet, then clearly it isn't in the works. Keeping those games permanently off PS5 goes against their "exclusives are evil" ethos. I don't think they want to hurt their  disingenuous "Pro-Consumer" image. 

If someone only plans on owning a single non-nintendo console, and  hasn't bought a next gen non-nintendo console yet, then they are up for grabs from either Sony or MS. If Sony grabs them first, then MS just lost a customer and vice versa. You can't look at last gen and assume that everyone is going to stick to the same brand they had. Sure, most will, but there's enough swing consumers that will go either direction at the start of a new gen. A new generation is supposed to be a total reset anyway. Right? 

It is a reset, though the odds are stacked against Xbox. I won’t re open the Bethesda debate, just that they did say the reason they can’t outright brag is because the deal won’t go through until next year. Seems to be a legal issue to being vague is all they can do. Once the deal goes through officially they better get more clear fast is all I’ll say. It would go a ways if people knew definitively. 

And technically Xbox games aren’t exclusive. It’s Xbox One, Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass, and Android mobile devices. PS not having future games is still insanely pro consumer based on the variety and low barrier options. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Nevermind, just realized this was in the Xbox forum. Ignore. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

BillyBong said:

My take.. maybe, maybe not.. but xbox isn't really in a position to play the waiting game this gen due to the drubbing they got last gen. yes, gamepass.. awesome, but still got drubbed overall by sony and ninty last gen, and not just by a little. Perception is key, as yes, third party can sustain between the droughts of first party stuff, but when you need to prove your first party stuff is worth buying their console for (and a new console) and you really have nothing to show, especially at launch.. that's going to play big into that perception.  And when you have the most powerful console but nothing that can show what a most powerful console can do.. 

Makes no sense to buy a shiny new box to continue to play stuff I can already play with what I already have. Xbox needed to ball out right out of the gate.. time will tell if this hurts the perception.

You have a point. Even me, as a guy who buys consoles on day one more often than not, and a guy who loves Xbox, I'm not really chomping at the bit for an XS. They need to lure back some of the fans they lost from the 360 era and this isn't doing it. We'll see what next year brings...

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It is a reset, though the odds are stacked against Xbox. I won’t re open the Bethesda debate, just that they did say the reason they can’t outright brag is because the deal won’t go through until next year. Seems to be a legal issue to being vague is all they can do. Once the deal goes through officially they better get more clear fast is all I’ll say. It would go a ways if people knew definitively. 

And technically Xbox games aren’t exclusive. It’s Xbox One, Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass, and Android mobile devices. PS not having future games is still insanely pro consumer based on the variety and low barrier options. 

So MS expects people that don't have a PC or Xbox to play their poached studios' games on their phone? Yeah, that'll go down well.

I think its rather funny and sad that people will debate against what Phil is saying even though the Xbox Series is selling the best it ever has at launch with ZERO launch killer apps/System sellers.What are these so called gamer's actually arguing against? Is Xbox falling off a cliff due to not having a System seller? How can Xbox be more successful than ever and tell people they don't need a system seller, and people jump out of no where and claim they are wrong. They delayed Halo Infinite because they know they don't need it at launch.This just feels like Phil continues to put the kids in the gaming market to bed.