By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

I agree that launch lineup doesn't matter, I disagree that Holiday 2021 is what's important. Imo Q1 and Q2 are by far the most important postlaunch months to maintain demand. Looks like Sony has them covered, but there's no word from MS on what killer apps they'll have for that period.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
I agree that launch lineup doesn't matter, I disagree that Holiday 2021 is what's important. Imo Q1 and Q2 are by far the most important postlaunch months to maintain demand. Looks like Sony has them covered, but there's no word from MS on what killer apps they'll have for that period.

Add to that that the games released at launch dont just disappear starting January. People picking a console on Q1 or Q2 will still have thuse games as incentive plus the others released at that point. 

I think we are gona see what happened last gen, both consoles sold out during the holiday, then after the hype dies down starting January sales drop for xbox and be overstocked everywhere while you still have to fight to the death trying to get a playstation. And the gap growing and growing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Azzanation said:
I think its rather funny and sad that people will debate against what Phil is saying even though the Xbox Series is selling the best it ever has at launch with ZERO launch killer apps/System sellers.What are these so called gamer's actually arguing against? Is Xbox falling off a cliff due to not having a System seller? How can Xbox be more successful than ever and tell people they don't need a system seller, and people jump out of no where and claim they are wrong. They delayed Halo Infinite because they know they don't need it at launch.This just feels like Phil continues to put the kids in the gaming market to bed.

Well i want add something in your saying, because you not alone on that, but as a question :

Do the Xbox series sold more on launch because this time that launched in more country and there was more stock or they really sold more in country that launched ?  that make a big difference and may be only a PR move and only sold 2 more console, just saying !

Now of course on launch every console is going to sold out, even the WiiU was sold out.... so its right to say launch exclusivity is useless for the console but, its good for the devs because they may not compete with other exclusive down the path and these game will still add weight for ppl who want play exclusive game.

Anyways that not really matter to me, i play microsoft game on my pc & sony on ps5, and my wife play on switch mostly !

let's see in 2021 the interessing fight even i think now they not really compete each other...

Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
For the initial Holiday sales? Of course not. For long term sustainability? Absolutely. Phil is forgetting that come Holidays 2021 people are going to include Sony's stellar launch window exclusives into their console buying calculus. If Xbox just has Halo Infinite in 2021, and Sony has TLoU Multiplayer Edition, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Ragnarok, Ratchet, and Forbidden West, you can bet a lot of customers will be lost to Sony.

I wouldn’t call it stellar. Its decent. It’s cross gen games and a PS3 remake, which as good as Demon Souls is, it has niche appeal due to its unforgiving difficulty.

I can easily argue the “buying calculus” includes Bethesda for anybody who is interested in Starfield or plays Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc etc, knowing if they want the sequels they need a Xbox over PS. All MS has to do is show any combination of these IPs via trailers if they won’t be ready for some time. Just saying there’s more then one way to secure a purchase. 

Also got to factor in other things like unannounced games for the year, timed 3rd party games on both sides, possible delays (people seem skeptical GoW will make 2021). Contrary to popular belief, Halo isn’t the only Xbox IP launching next year.

Finally I don’t see it as a matter of losing customers to Sony. It’s merely the status quo at the moment  Given how this gen ended up Xbox has nowhere to go but up and vice versa for Sony. 

Demon's Souls and Ratchet aren't crossgen as far as I know. No Souls game is truly hard. Just take the game halfway seriously and summon three sunbros to every bossfight. 2021 will still mostly be a fight for early adopters, and those players will skew more to the hardcore end of the spectrum. So Demon's Souls being a little challenging shouldn't be an issue.  I agree that Crossgen for Morales and Horizon 2 makes for a lot weaker of a lineup than if they just made those games PS5 exclusive. 

MS has yet to come right out and say that Bethesda games will never come to PS5. Any chance MS has to brag they are going to brag. Since they haven't bragged about Bethesda exclusivity yet, then clearly it isn't in the works. Keeping those games permanently off PS5 goes against their "exclusives are evil" ethos. I don't think they want to hurt their  disingenuous "Pro-Consumer" image. 

If someone only plans on owning a single non-nintendo console, and  hasn't bought a next gen non-nintendo console yet, then they are up for grabs from either Sony or MS. If Sony grabs them first, then MS just lost a customer and vice versa. You can't look at last gen and assume that everyone is going to stick to the same brand they had. Sure, most will, but there's enough swing consumers that will go either direction at the start of a new gen. A new generation is supposed to be a total reset anyway. Right? 

It is a reset, though the odds are stacked against Xbox. I won’t re open the Bethesda debate, just that they did say the reason they can’t outright brag is because the deal won’t go through until next year. Seems to be a legal issue to being vague is all they can do. Once the deal goes through officially they better get more clear fast is all I’ll say. It would go a ways if people knew definitively. 

And technically Xbox games aren’t exclusive. It’s Xbox One, Series S/X, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass, and Android mobile devices. PS not having future games is still insanely pro consumer based on the variety and low barrier options. 

So MS expects people that don't have a PC or Xbox to play their poached studios' games on their phone? Yeah, that'll go down well.

It’s an option, that’s kinda the whole thing with Xbox. I can see Xcloud breaking out in Asia if marketed properly. But it is also used to supplement console and PC gaming.

But hey, if you got a really loyal PS only gamer, your options are to stay salty, buy a Xbox or play the game on their current phone by subbing to Xcloud Game Pass. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Don't need to do ALL this workaround tô defend Phill. Just ask yourself the question, If Halo Infinite launched with the console would be say It isn't important to have a good launch lineup? Since you know he wouldn't then it's quite obvious he is doing damage Control.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Phil is correct that they don't need a system seller at launch. But, they will need a system seller a few months from now. So, for their sake, I hope Halo isn't delayed beyond Q3 2021.

Azzanation said:
I think its rather funny and sad that people will debate against what Phil is saying even though the Xbox Series is selling the best it ever has at launch with ZERO launch killer apps/System sellers.What are these so called gamer's actually arguing against? Is Xbox falling off a cliff due to not having a System seller? How can Xbox be more successful than ever and tell people they don't need a system seller, and people jump out of no where and claim they are wrong. They delayed Halo Infinite because they know they don't need it at launch.This just feels like Phil continues to put the kids in the gaming market to bed.

They are selling because it's a just released shiny new box meant to signal the start of their new gen. Just because they made more units to start off this gen than they did last gen means nothing at this point.  They said the same thing last gen even with the E3 flub..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/11/23/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history/amp/

How'd that turn out in the grand scheme of things?  

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

DonFerrari said:
Don't need to do ALL this workaround tô defend Phill. Just ask yourself the question, If Halo Infinite launched with the console would be say It isn't important to have a good launch lineup? Since you know he wouldn't then it's quite obvious he is doing damage Control.

Of course he is. I don’t think anybody is disputing his spin. That said you have to agree a launch is more dependent on supply then killer apps. It’s both, spin and fact. Halo serves a greater good launching next year, though it sucks to wait. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:

And at the same time you should ask yourself  one question, if Halo Infinite were launching with X|S and was phenomenal and rated 95 meta, how many more X|S consoles would be sold at launch versus what is being sold now? The answer of course, is zero. 

I doubt you read the interview, he was asked directly about the Halo Infinite delay and launching without a “marquee game” as a result. So yeah, obviously if Halo Infinite wasn’t delayed, he wouldn’t have been asked that question and thus wouldn’t have given that answer. That’s called common sense, not “damage control”.

BillyBong said:
Azzanation said:

They are selling because it's a just released shiny new box meant to signal the start of their new gen. Just because they made more units to start off this gen than they did last gen means nothing at this point.  They said the same thing last gen even with the E3 flub..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/11/23/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history/amp/

How'd that turn out in the grand scheme of things?  

Well your point ignores that Xbox One was weaker and $100 more expensive then PS4. Series X is on par with PS5 and has the power narrative. Series S is $100 cheaper. And Game Pass presents a value proposition Xbox One didn’t have nor something Sony can match. Also consider the PR backlash in 2013 to Xbox largely experiencing a renaissance of new studios now. There’s actually a lot of factors at play.