By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

Leynos said:
Switch Pro launches next year. It cannot play games at all. "We don't need video games to sell systems" claims Nintendo.

All it needs is the return of Pictochat.

Around the Network

Was this a problem before? Everyone knew what the issue with halo was. They accepted it needed more time. But Phil has to do his daily attention whoring and bring negative attention to an issue that was pretty much forgiven already. This guy really needs his spotlight time reduced. He is just hurting the brand more trying to spin when spin is not needed.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DonFerrari said:
He isn't wrong on a technical standpoint per see, but yes he is just spinning off and sugar coating the fact that they didn't have ANY exclusives from first party for launch even though they bought plenty of studios and paid for some 3rd party exclusives (timed or not). This is the way of Phil, and depending on how you read he is saying a big F.U to costumers... not to forget in another interview he says consoles sales don't matter, even though they making cheaper entry level console, slashing price in Japan and Brazil say otherwise. I dunno why people when defending him ignores the moves done and focus only on whatever he say at that day.

Consoles aren’t the end goal, it’s a means to an end. So of course they are still important. The end goal is more monthly active users across all devices it supports. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
He isn't wrong on a technical standpoint per see, but yes he is just spinning off and sugar coating the fact that they didn't have ANY exclusives from first party for launch even though they bought plenty of studios and paid for some 3rd party exclusives (timed or not). This is the way of Phil, and depending on how you read he is saying a big F.U to costumers... not to forget in another interview he says consoles sales don't matter, even though they making cheaper entry level console, slashing price in Japan and Brazil say otherwise. I dunno why people when defending him ignores the moves done and focus only on whatever he say at that day.

Consoles aren’t the end goal, it’s a means to an end. So of course they are still important. The end goal is more monthly active users across all devices it supports. 

Perhaps, but he can certainly change his beat at will.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I think he did another interview recently saying even if Xbox takes the lead comfortably they still won’t say numbers. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What he is saying is we dont give a shit about our costumers , they will still buy it.

I just dont understand the excuses people make in the name of papa phill, dude does nothing, everyday what we see is him giving interviews with his made up nice guy persona to camouflage his incompetence in the things that are important , like you know, games...

Lol that’s not what he said. He acknowledged Halos delay. We agree it sucks but it’s for the best. He is saying launches are determined by supply. Holiday 2021 will have supply outstripping demand, that’s where system sellers really come into play. 

Bold: He was instrumental in acquiring Bethesda....living under a rock lately? Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Playground, Obsidian, Double Fine, Compulsion, Worlds Edge, The Initiative.....please tell me how these studios aren’t making Xbox games. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I think he did another interview recently saying even if Xbox takes the lead comfortably they still won’t say numbers. 

Yes he did, saying that this isn't the focus of their team. Just after celebrating this is the fastest sold Xbox ever... that is when Sony releases the numbers and they don't it isn't a direct confirmation that they undersold, because we all know it will be the case. Similar to him celebrating that Xbox presales in Japan were higher than expected and sold out in hours, but he kinda spilled the beans when he said it sold more than X1 total for 2019 (which isn't much actually).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes he did, saying that this isn't the focus of their team. Just after celebrating this is the fastest sold Xbox ever... that is when Sony releases the numbers and they don't it isn't a direct confirmation that they undersold, because we all know it will be the case. Similar to him celebrating that Xbox presales in Japan were higher than expected and sold out in hours, but he kinda spilled the beans when he said it sold more than X1 total for 2019 (which isn't much actually).

You get it. It’s preemptive saving face. It also flips the narrative on what’s important. Personally I do think monthly or quarterly users is a better metric. Like how many PS4 and Xbox Ones are collecting dust at the moment? Casuals are fickle, engagement matters. But you at least need to sell consoles to promote engagement. 

I think that the lack of killer system sellers for both PS5 and X is indictive of the blurred lines between last gen and current. I have no problem with there being nothing killer at launch and it doesn't seem like too many owners think so either. Only people that care would be forum warriors.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

You get it. It’s preemptive saving face. It also flips the narrative on what’s important. Personally I do think monthly or quarterly users is a better metric. Like how many PS4 and Xbox Ones are collecting dust at the moment? Casuals are fickle, engagement matters. But you at least need to sell consoles to promote engagement. 

Can't really disagree... I have no doubt Sony prepared more consoles for launch due to PS4 doing well and all, but we will only be able to compare after at least 6 months have passed.