By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

Xbox not having a system seller is pretty much their brand.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Farsala said:

Switch with Botw was certainly a lot more impactful than if it released on the Wii U before it launched.I think good games are always a good motivator for people to buy games and game consoles.

1) Wii U was a disaster.
2) Series S/X are relying on a great library of Xbox One titles, many of which are better on Series S/X. But Switch is doing a good job selling Wii U games.
3) Some notable exclusive launch content would have been great with Series S/X. But Phil is correct, its been a successful launch relying on the features of the console, a strong library of BC content and more technically advanced games will come.

Switch isn't actually backwards compatible, neither was the PS4. Those consoles did well from start to finish due to a good launch of games and consistent releases throughout.

Imagine if Halo launched with the Series X and it was considered the best in it's series like BoTW is considered. The sales remain to be seen, but I think it would be automatic success.

I'm aware Switch doesn't have BC. I am saying its selling Wii U games... like ports. Also, Switch is really the successor to 3DS. Nintendo technically left the home console market after Wii U failed.

PS4 did mostly everything right and it thrived. However, the major launch exclusives were mediocre.

You wouldn't need a Series S/X to play the latest Halo though. So it still would have been critiqued for not being a real Series S/X game. Either way, Xbox just had a great launch without the exclusives or cutting edge content people keep asking for. That's the point.

BOTW is perceived as a Switch game because nobody had a Wii U. Furthermore, the expectations of Switch software isn't significantly higher than Wii U. People want Series X games that blow Xbox One away technically. Halo Infinte is unlikely to be that game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

the title of this article doesn't even make sense, he's not saying they didn't need one when clearly they wanted and expected Halo Infinite to be their big one before it got delayed. it's not like they just said "nah we don't need any there" from the start. he's saying that having a strong launch lineup, when compared to having a good first year/holiday lineup, isn't as important in the end, which ultimately isn't wrong no matter how much it admittedly sounds like a spin at first glance

the consoles will always sell out at launch to the hardcore crowd who follows gaming actively (assuming there's no Wii U levels of terrible marketing) regardless of whether those new games are there yet because they'll still want the new hardware while knowing the games will come eventually. in this instance while it certainly would have been better for them to have a big game ready, the consoles still sold out to the people who always just wanted the new hardware like always, now they can focus on making sure they have big games ready for the first year & holiday to keep the momentum going. the people buying the console knew what games were available, they were fine with it.

hell, most launch games are ass anyway. the PS5 is the first exception in a while where it actually launched with more than on 1-2 decent new exclusives. (3-4 in this case which is remarkable)

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 13 November 2020

The headline and what was actually said are giving off different messages. But yes, 2021 matters more as they’d have way more consoles out compared to the first 2 months, Sony has a stacked 2021 as well. Gamepass is the true system seller and it keeps getting better.

Video games are so last gen anyways... ;-P

Around the Network

It wasn’t ideal but he isn’t wrong. Enthusiast demand will suffice at launch. Next year is gonna be stiff competition with Horizon and GOW Ragnarok. It sucks waiting but Halo serves a greater purpose next year when demand is a key factor.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

He isn't wrong on a technical standpoint per see, but yes he is just spinning off and sugar coating the fact that they didn't have ANY exclusives from first party for launch even though they bought plenty of studios and paid for some 3rd party exclusives (timed or not). This is the way of Phil, and depending on how you read he is saying a big F.U to costumers... not to forget in another interview he says consoles sales don't matter, even though they making cheaper entry level console, slashing price in Japan and Brazil say otherwise. I dunno why people when defending him ignores the moves done and focus only on whatever he say at that day.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I like the idea of new and more powerful hardware and software that is a quantum leap beyond anything the previous gen cold offer. When I got new systems in the past, I often had that "Killer app" right there with it too justify the purchase. Mario 64, Shenmue, Uncharted or what have you. But then I think of my last three console purchases: The Switch, Xbox One X, and PS4 Pro. All three on day one and with nothing I couldn't already play on the hardware that I already owned.I guess he has a point. I'm still waiting for that "next gen" game to wow me but if the hardware is sold out then what do I know?

2021 is much more important, that is a fact. Most launch titles are forgetable.However, a think having a big launch exclusive made from the ground up for the Series X would be a good way to show the costumers that they can be confident in the console. I'd rather have at least one game than nothing. Phil just can't admit they fucked up big time with Halo Infinite, so he has to pretend everything is fine, but I'm sure Microsoft knows they fucked up.

jardesonbarbosa said:
2021 is much more important, that is a fact. Most launch titles are forgetable.However, a think having a big launch exclusive made from the ground up for the Series X would be a good way to show the costumers that they can be confident in the console. I'd rather have at least one game than nothing. Phil just can't admit they fucked up big time with Halo Infinite, so he has to pretend everything is fine, but I'm sure Microsoft knows they fucked up.

He indirectly admitts it, but well he have to cover it up to not damage the console. But certainly he could have said better. Like not focusing the on being sold out or not needing a good lineup, but saying the system have great features to please costumers and make all games BC or new look better than ever before. Basically using the empty speech that he uses from time to time, because the way he say it is kinda disrespect to who bought, basically saying that they would buy whatever he throwed at them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."