By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Xbox Series didn’t need a system seller at launch

Let’s see.... yep Xbox sold out everywhere I checked. Still unable to find one for myself. Same with PS5, and neither has a killer app launch exclusive. Seems he’s completely right.

Around the Network

Well, I think what either of us thinks at this point is irrelevant. The machine IS selling without a "system seller" so he is already being proven right regardless of how we feel about it.

Besides, we have history there to give us an insight into people's buying habits:

Best-selling PlayStation launch games in the US (units, month of launch) -- NPD Data

PS2 LaunchPS3 LaunchPS4 Launch
1.Madden NFL 01Resistance: Fall of ManCall of Duty: Ghosts
2.Tekken Tag TournamentMadden NFL 07Battlefield 4
3.SSXCall of Duty 3Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
4.Ridge Racer 5Marvel: Ultimate AllianceKillzone: Shadow Fall
5.NHL 2001Need for Speed: CarbonNBA 2K14
6.Smuggler's RunTony Hawk's Project 8Madden NFL 25
7.Midnight Club: Street RacingRidge Racer 7Need for Speed: Rivals
8.SummonerNBA 2K7FIFA 14
9.TimeSplittersNBA 07Knack
10.Armored Core 2Tiger Woords PGA Tour 07LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Best-selling Xbox launch games in the US (units, month of launch) -- NPD Data

Xbox LaunchXbox 360 LaunchXbox One Launch
1.HaloCall of Duty 2Call of Duty: Ghosts
2.Project Gotham RacingMadden NFL 06Battlefield 4
3.Dead or Alive 3Perfect Dark ZeroDead Rising 3
4.NFL Fever 2002Need for Speed: Most WantedForza 5
5.Madden NFL 02Project Gotham Racing 3Ryse Son of Rome
6.Oddworld's Munch's OddyseeKameo: Elements of PowerAssassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
7.Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2xCondemned Criminal OriginsMadden NFL 25
8.NBA Life 2002Quake 4NBA 2K14
9.ShrekNBA Live 06FIFA 14
10.Amped: Freestyle SnowboardingGunNeed for Speed: Rivals

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-26-battle-of-the-launch-line-ups-what-games-make-for-a-successful-console-launch

Hm, that may be the case during launch and probably throughout the rest of the holiday period but Xbox will quickly lose steam during the first half of 2021 if there are no new exclusive games for Series X. So Phill better hope that Halo Infinite is a Spring release.

Xbox Series doesn't need a system seller in 2021 as well, by the looks of things.

I'm pretty sure Reggie had a same kind of interview when the Wii U was sold out and sold 1.2 million during its first weekBut we all know how it turned out

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Xbox Series doesn't need a system seller in 2021 as well, by the looks of things.

Halo is still a system seller. Even Halo 5 was a system seller. All the jokes and memes will make the launch all the sweeter. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Jpcc86 said:
Azzanation said:
His not wrong, neither does Sony. Remember the masterpieces the PS4 launched with? exactly.

Wasnt TLOU said game tho? The PS4 version literally came out less than 2 months after the PS3 one.

Every word in this sentence is wrong. Do not post about things you do not know about without doing even basic research.

The Last of US (PS3) Released June 14, 2013

PS4 Released November 15, 2013

The Last of US Remastered (PS4) Released July 29, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

gamepass was the system seller for me. I'm eagerly awaiting my series X which should arrive next week

sales2099 said:
LurkerJ said:

Halo is still a system seller. Even Halo 5 was a system seller. All the jokes and memes will make the launch all the sweeter. 

Sure. I'd be shocked if Halo is a 2021 title though, if it is, it will be poorly received.