By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - The Terminator vs Terminator 2

Which is better?

The Terminator 10 21.28%

Terminator 2 37 78.72%

Total:47

Both movies are great, but c'm'on, T2 easily.It's like comparing Die Hard 3 to Die Hard 1. Both great movies, but there's no question which one is better.

Around the Network

Just saw both of these movies again about a month ago.  T2 is clearly the better film.  

At the same time I have to give serious props to T1.  I feel like Cameron had this amazing concept in his head and did the best he could with T1's budget.  T1 was kind of a surprise success compared to the budget it had.  Then with T2 it had this great budget and was an all around amazing film.  But T2 would never have been this good without the success of T1.  

Both are great, but T2 is better.

KManX89 said:
Both movies are great, but c'm'on, T2 easily.It's like comparing Die Hard 3 to Die Hard 1. Both great movies, but there's no question which one is better.

Die Hard 3 is easily the best hands down.  Samuel L. Jackson needs to come back and save the franchise! :P

T1 is a good B-movie but T2 is a masterpiece.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Terminator 2 I consider downright mediocre.

Around the Network

Terminator 2 I would give it to. Not many sequels are an better than the original, so this falls under that rare case. Aliens and BTTF part 2 being another.

It's funny, I never realized Terminator 1 had a modest budget. I always thought it seemed to have quite solid production values for its time.

Nor did I ever think of it as a B-movie, just a film that showed its age a little at times.

Reading now that it was made on just $6.4 million that does makes its excellence even more impressive.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

V-r0cK said:
KManX89 said:

Die Hard 3 is easily the best hands down.  Samuel L. Jackson needs to come back and save the franchise! :P

I love the third Die Hard, but no chance it's better than the original. No movie is.

curl-6 said:
Nighthawk117 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't even consider that a contest, Jaws 1 is a masterpiece, Jaws 2 is just mediocre.

Ok, well on that note....To answer your own OP. Which is better - T1 or T2?

I'm still deciding myself as it's is an incredibly close call in my reckoning, both are amazing.

I voted for T2 but I agree that it's way closer than most people here are making out. T1 was ground-breaking and had a much more intense feel to it. The Terminator genuinely seems unstoppable and you fear for the main 2 characters whether they will ever escape.

However I still give T2 the edge with it's outstanding special effects and exciting chase scenes - the film is fast but clever and has aged really well in my opinion where the original is sadly a little dated now.

curl-6 said:

It's funny, I never realized Terminator 1 had a modest budget. I always thought it seemed to have quite solid production values for its time.

Nor did I ever think of it as a B-movie, just a film that showed its age a little at times.

Reading now that it was made on just $6.4 million that does makes its excellence even more impressive.

I personally see a lot of parallels between T1&T2 and also the first two Mad Max movies.  I think in both cases the film makers had a grand vision in their heads, but they didn't have the budget to pull it off.  In spite of that both made great first movies on a limited budget to kind of put their ideas out there and test the waters.  But I feel both T2 and Mad Max 2 are the better movies.  Both had the budgets to realize the film makers' original visions.  But neither of these movies would have been made without the success of the first ones in the series.