By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

S.Peelman said:

Real second hints;

#30: From a subway on -6 to a cathedral on 100.

Hint 2: And in between that you can build all kinds of other stuff, like offices, shops, condos, hotel rooms and grand lobbies.

#29: Should have checked the forecast before going outside, it's rainy.

Hint 2: You need to go though, the princess telepathically called for you. Luckily the castle isn't far.

#28: This game made me not get a PS2.

Hint 2: It's great graphics and buttery smooth swordplay proved the Dreamcast was already good enough. And big swords is the name of the game.

#27: Somehow, the creators of this game actually managed to make walking upside down and around feel natural and intuitive. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - Super Mario Galaxy

#26: A multiplayer level, probably the most famous one in all of this now decently long lasting and certainly well selling franchise, is based on a real-life town which is also featured in an unrelated tv miniseries (which does have the same subject) looking eerily similar to how it looks in this game.

Hint 2: The multiplayer map I'm talking about in this Call of Duty game is based on a real town in France. After it's original inclusion in the game I'm looking for, it was also included in the sequel, remastered with a different setting in CoD4 and remade as DLC some time later again in one of the newer games.

#29: Zelda: Link to the past?

#28: Soul Calibur

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

#29: Zelda: Link to the past?

#28: Soul Calibur

Yes! Both right.

Your lead in expands.

Kantor said:

31 and 29 are correct. I miss the god game genre and he was so good at it :(

If you miss the genre, I suggest you'll have a good look at my number 23 then, really worth it already despite still being in beta stage.

S.Peelman said:

Real second hints;

#30: From a subway on -6 to a cathedral on 100.

Hint 2: And in between that you can build all kinds of other stuff, like offices, shops, condos, hotel rooms and grand lobbies.

#29: Should have checked the forecast before going outside, it's rainy.

Hint 2: You need to go though, the princess telepathically called for you. Luckily the castle isn't far.

#28: This game made me not get a PS2.

Hint 2: It's great graphics and buttery smooth swordplay proved the Dreamcast was already good enough. And big swords is the name of the game.

#27: Somehow, the creators of this game actually managed to make walking upside down and around feel natural and intuitive. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - Super Mario Galaxy

#26: A multiplayer level, probably the most famous one in all of this now decently long lasting and certainly well selling franchise, is based on a real-life town which is also featured in an unrelated tv miniseries (which does have the same subject) looking eerily similar to how it looks in this game.

Hint 2: The multiplayer map I'm talking about in this Call of Duty game is based on a real town in France. After it's original inclusion in the game I'm looking for, it was also included in the sequel, remastered with a different setting in CoD4 and remade as DLC some time later again in one of the newer games.

#30: Sim Tower

S.Peelman said:

I feel like I've taken too many stabs at this to give up now. Is it the first Call of Duty?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

#30: Sim Tower

Correct. Extremely addicting game.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I feel like I've taken too many stabs at this to give up now. Is it the first Call of Duty?

And also correct. You may feel like you've taken too many stabs at it, but I'm feeling like I've been keeping you on a leash lol. I was hinting at the map Carentan, which is based on the French town with the same name. It took a big part in the Battle for Normandy in World War II. Subsequently, it was also featured in an episode of the tv miniseries Band of Brothers, where it, funnily enough, looks very similar to how it looks in the game. The level, due its popularity amongst the CoD community, was also included CoD2, in CoD 4 where it was renamed to Chinatown and then had an artistic makeover, and lastly as DLC for WWII.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)

Change YOY: NEW!

The second of four entirely new games in my top 50 this year, Trails of Cold Steel III continued the story of the series in grand fashion, adding new elements and characters on top of the already existing ones, while keeping the overall quality high as well. I've mentioned this quite often when talking about this series as a whole, but over the last five years it has genuinely become one of my absolute favourite video game series ever, possibly behind only Final Fantasy and Dark Souls. 

I haven't yet gotten around to Trails of Cold Steel IV, but instantly became my most anticipated game the moment I finished this one. I love the overarching story connecting all the Trails games together, from the first Trails in the Sky all the way through to this game and beyond. 

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)

Change YOY: -2

Level-5 as a developer often feels like one that gets most things in their games just right, but there are always some things that hold them back a little bit, whether it's an uninspired story, lackluster gameplay, or something completely different. However, in my opinion, Ni No Kuni is the title where they got pretty much everything right. It's the best game they've made, at least of the ones I've played.

Visually it's obviously gorgeous, but I also found the story very engaging, the characters charming and memorable, and the gameplay and battle system a lot of fun. The music, composed by the legendary Joe Hisaishi, was also a particular highlight for me. At the time it was also very refreshing just to play a very old-school style JRPG.

S.Peelman said:

And also correct. You may feel like you've taken too many stabs at it, but I'm feeling like I've been keeping you on a leash lol. I was hinting at the map Carentan, which is based on the French town with the same name. It took a big part in the Battle for Normandy in World War II. Subsequently, it was also featured in an episode of the tv miniseries Band of Brothers, where it, funnily enough, looks very similar to how it looks in the game. The level, due its popularity amongst the CoD community, was also included CoD2, in CoD 4 where it was renamed to Chinatown and then had an artistic makeover, and lastly as DLC for WWII.

After googling it now, Carentan is indeed the map that came to mind when you mentioned a French town and narrowed it down to the earleir games, I do recall playing it at some point. Didn't really know if it was from 1 or 2 originally though so that was just sort of a lucky guess. But needless to say I definitely didn't have that map in mind with my first guesses.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

One game of that batch still left to guess:

#30: Attack of the Friday Monsters! guessed by Jpcc86

#29: Supaplex guessed by Jpcc86
Eat PCB (printed curcuit board).
You play a round red/orange (not yellow!) blob.
111 levels in this puzzle game.
You need to collect Infotrons and reach the exit without dying.
This game from the 90s is now freeware and an open source reimplementation for modern platforms exists since this year.

#28: Starcraft/Broodwar guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#27: Resident Evil: Revelations guessed by S.Peelman

Last edited by Mnementh - on 04 December 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Eat PCB (printed curcuit board).
You play a round red/orange (not yellow!) blob.
111 levels in this puzzle game.
You need to collect Infotrons and reach the exit without dying.
This game from the 90s is now freeware and an open source reimplementation for modern platforms exists since this year.

I suppose this is Supaplex?

I'll admit I had to google this one, Im personally not familiar with this game.