By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

The progenitor for what is today one of the most popular, and some might argue the most overpopulated video game genre, the Metroidvania, and it's still one of the best examples of the genre over 25 years after its original release.

I wouldn't say it's the most overpopulated genre, but more importantly, you could have used an image from the actual game.

True, probably could have. Just thought that looked nice so picked it. The comment about being overpopulated was mostly about how a huge number of indie games over the last several years have seemingly just defaulted into the Metroidvania mold because a few of them got so massively popular a while ago.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Jpcc86 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Ka-pi96 said:

#42 A spin-off of #46's franchise. Came out on the PS2/Xbox 360 originally.

42. Dynasty Tactics?

Nope, I've never actually played a Dynasty Tactics game.

You had #46's franchise right though.

Warriors Orochi?

Nope. That was a great game though!

Samurai Warriors?

Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Ka-pi96 said:

#42 A spin-off of #46's franchise. Came out on the PS2/Xbox 360 originally.

42. Dynasty Tactics?

Nope, I've never actually played a Dynasty Tactics game.

You had #46's franchise right though.

Yeah, I can tell #46 is a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game, but I don't know the series well enough to guess which one.

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

44: The biggest hype ever. GTA? Fortnite? Fall Guys? Minecraft? No.. this.

Hint 2: A few years ago, and I guess that's still somewhat going on, there was a resurgence of the stratospheric popularity of this franchise where players went out to do what you digitally do in this game in real life. In the between time the franchise's popularity didn't really go away, but it was never as huge as it was at the start.

Probably Pokemon. I guess the first one, so Blue/Red

UnderwaterFunktown said:

44) should have guessed it with the first hint: Pokémon GO!

Pokemon Blue is correct!

Could have been GO going just by the first hint, but the second in a roundabout way implies it's not that one, so Mnementh is right.

Supermario28 said:

41. a) Living together in peace, the inhabitants of an island are always full of joy thanks to a tree. But everything is taken away

b) The tree is stolen, and one inhabitant, of desired color, has to go through a 6 pages Storybook to get it back.

c) In this N64 game, Baby Bowser is the villain 

Isn't this Yoshi's Story?

#43Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
guessed byOTBWY
platformSwitch
release year2016
developer/publisherNihon Falcom/NIS America
genreaction RPG
linksWikipedia
past years2019: #45, 2018: #47

Ys is a longrunning RPG-series with the hero Adol Christin as the main character. In this entry his ship wrecks on a mysterious island. As he explores the island he find other passengers of the ship, helps building a shelter, fend off monster attacks and so on. It is a very satisfying mix of actions.

The story is set in the universe of the Ys series, but brings the characters to an island which no one ever left. It is filled with monsters of all sorts, including Primordials which were believed to be extinct. Exploring the island and reaching the regions you saw before from afar is very satisfying.

The fighting system is diverse and each character brings on their own set of moves, which helps to keep fighting fresh. The game also offers decent challenges.

The real fun is to explore more and more of the island and on the way uncover more of a twisted plot. At some point we have even to solve a crime and play detective.

Another element are the recurring monster attacks which can be played for points as waves of monsters attack your base.

I played it on Switch, which probably doesn't offer the best graphical fidelity of all versions, but still it was a very nice looking game. If you like action JRPGs, you should give this game a try. In the meantime the Switch got Ys Origin and Ys IX is announced for the platform. So more Ys is coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojyM1cNIgM

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Alright, time to throw everything out there. Last ditch attempt to see if someone here knows this one.

#43 - This game features a lot of headshots, but they're not the usual kind of headshot.
Hint 2 - The guns don't actually shoot anything, and no one actually calls them guns in the game.
Hint 3 - Most of these headshots happen inside a very tall tower.
Hint 4 - Before doing his first headshot, the protagonist says a certain 3-syllable word, and I think it's the only time he speaks.
Hint 5 - Despite all the headshots though, this isn't a shooter game, nor does it have any shooting mechanics or anything similar.
Hint 6 - "The ______ is the means by which all is revealed..."

Edit: seems like googling the last hint gives you the answer, even with the missing word. Don't be a cheater!

Still no idea what this could be

mZuzek said:

Alright, time to throw everything out there. Last ditch attempt to see if someone here knows this one.

#43 - This game features a lot of headshots, but they're not the usual kind of headshot.
Hint 2 - The guns don't actually shoot anything, and no one actually calls them guns in the game.
Hint 3 - Most of these headshots happen inside a very tall tower.
Hint 4 - Before doing his first headshot, the protagonist says a certain 3-syllable word, and I think it's the only time he speaks.
Hint 5 - Despite all the headshots though, this isn't a shooter game, nor does it have any shooting mechanics or anything similar.
Hint 6 - "The ______ is the means by which all is revealed..."

Edit: seems like googling the last hint gives you the answer, even with the missing word. Don't be a cheater!

Really should have gotten this earlier: Persona 3.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

well i added my list and i must say Multiplayer rules

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Warriors Orochi?

Nope. That was a great game though!

Samurai Warriors?

So so close, but nope.

Samurai Warriors Xtreme Legends?

Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ka-pi96 said: