By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time to add some new stuff:

43) Beating a stage in this game is often followed by a lot of blood.

Hint 2: A sequel to this game was shown off in a Nindies showcase at one point, but has yet to release.

42) The MC of this game recently went through plastic surgery

41) Not a place to be a hero.

40) As any speedrunner is sure to know, moving backwards is quicker than moving forwards in this game.

42) Spiderman PS4?

41) No More Heroes? (probably not...)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hint 2: A sequel to this game was shown off in a Nindies showcase at one point, but has yet to release.

40) As any speedrunner is sure to know, moving backwards is quicker than moving forwards in this game.

42) Spiderman PS4?

41) No More Heroes? (probably not...)

Correct on Marvel's Spider-Man!

And yea it's not No More Heroes (the hint fits that game a little too good though)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

My game # 43

Grand Theft Auto 5

The most "bang for your buck" imaginable. So much to see. So much to do. So many unexpected twists and turns. GTA5 is one of those games that you show to non-gamers to show them what gaming could be.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

41) Arkham City?

40) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

Signature goes here!

Kantor said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Hotline Miami

Correct! But before we get to that:

43) DOOM (2016)

This game really surprised me. I'm not usually an FPS fan, and the Wolfenstein remakes that came out around this time bored me to tears. I think a few things really stand out about this game though: amazingly beautiful environments; a huge variety of enemies necessitating different strategies; fantastic weapons that actually pack a punch; an upgrade and progression system that really makes you feel like you're growing stronger over time. This game was the best in terms of power fantasy that I've played for a very long time.

I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed DOOM (2016). The fast paced action, the great mechanics like being able to tear enemies apart when they're staggered for health and chainsaw them to bits for ammo and the variety of guns and upgrades for them makes it a fantastic ride.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

41) Arkham City?

40) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

Symphony of the Night is right!

Arkham City isn't though.

Well i'll give away the answers since I have to post the games in my table and give hint for the next games

45. Some say it's a Zelda for 18+ ||| Darksiders ||| guessed by Mnementh

44. a) The main character has to take back his own castle from an evil relative.

b) This game is part of a very very popular franchise

c) The franchise of this Game Boy game is Super Mario and he has a castle for once. ||| Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins ||| guessed by TruckOSaurus

43. a) In this game, Audie seems to be a tribute to a real person

b) Audie is a wolf

c) In this farming and crafting game, Audie can be a villager ||| Animal Crossing: New Horizon ||| guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

42. This game is the first in the serie's timeline ||| The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ||| guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

41. a) Living together in peace, the inhabitants of an island are always full of joy thanks to a tree. But everything is taken away

b) The tree is stolen, and one inhabitant, of desired color, has to go through a 6 pages Storybook to get it back.

c) In this N64 game, Baby Bowser is the villain ||| Yoshi's Story ||| guessed by S.Peelman

Last edited by Supermario28 - on 20 November 2020

#44Pinball Dreams
guessed byPajderman
platformDOS
release year1992
developer/publisherDigital Illusions/21st Century Entertainment
genrepinball simulation
linksWikipedia, DICE
play in browser (archive.org)
past years2019: #40, 2018: #39, 2017: #35

I have a soft spot for Pinball games, and this one is the game that is the reason for that. Pinball Dreams was great fun, that I could start and try to get new highscores at any time. Animation was smooth, the tables were interesting, the sound effects and music was great (remember, back then this was not a given).

All four tables are pretty fun, which is why I rate this game higher than the successors Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions, which had some fun tables and some that were not so great. Still, also the two follow-up games are great, but Dreams is the best. For a long time no other Pinball simulator came even near the fun I had with these.

Ignition was a table themed with space travel, with you trying to reach different planets of the solar system and other goals related to space travel. Steel Wheel has the railroad in the Wild West as theme, Beat Box is a table themed about the music industry. My absolute favorite was Nightmare though. Sound effects and music was so matching to the theme and the multiple targets to get a higher score were so rewarding. Pinball Fantasies has a similarly styled table Stones&Bones, which is also my favorite table in that game.

The smoothness of the animations and the great sound effects is explainable, because the creators were an experienced demo-group named The Silents. They founded their company Digital Illusions in 1992 and released Pinball Dreams early on in the year as their first game. Later that year followed Pinball Fantasies. Digital Illusions CE nowadays goes mostly as DICE, you may know them as EA-subsidiary that is responsible for Battlefield and other stuff. Publisher 21st century though is lost to the times, they were going into financial difficulties years later and were going bankrupt.

If you want to hunt highscores nowadays, you can easily run this game in Dosbox, the DOS-emulator. If you don't own a copy, GOG has the game in the Pinball Gold Pack together with Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions. All as Deluxe version, which contains additional tables, which are subpar. But the original four tables are great. Or you can play the game for free in your browser via the Internet Archive, although for my setup at least the emulation via browser is challenged and so it plays in slow motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6xfzwO8GdA

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Supermario28 said:

Well i'll give away the answers since I have to post the games in my table and give hint for the next games

45. Some say it's a Zelda for 18+ ||| Darksiders ||| guessed by Mnementh

44. a) The main character has to take back his own castle from an evil relative.

b) This game is part of a very very popular franchise

c) The franchise of this Game Boy game is Super Mario and he has a castle for once.

b) Audie is a wolf

c) In this farming and crafting game, Audie can be a villager

42. This game is the first in the serie's timeline ||| The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ||| guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

41. a) Living together in peace, the inhabitants of an island are always full of joy thanks to a tree. But everything is taken away

b) The tree is stolen, and one inhabitant, of desired color, has to go through a 6 pages Storybook to get it back.

c) In this N64 game, Baby Bowser is the villain 

43) AC: New Horizons

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Supermario28 said:

b) Audie is a wolf

c) In this farming and crafting game, Audie can be a villager 

43) AC: New Horizons

Correct!