By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix reports ¥6.5b loss for HD games, driven by poor performance of Marvel's Avengers

AsGryffynn said:
JWeinCom said:
Prices of DLC are getting slashed. Unlikely this will make money. And that's a good thing. Just make a good game instead of a giant ad for microtransactions.

And an advert spot for the MCU. 

Not even. They went out of their way to make it legally distinct from the MCU so they wouldn't have to pay legal rights. That's why they look like stunt doubles XD

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
Quick Nintendo help them out and give them a crap ton of money to make Super Mario RPG 2.

Yes, please. Since Paper Mario is straight up Zelda now (not the worst thing, really), I would love a proper Mario RPG again.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Azzanation said:

Well Square shouldnt do stupid chit. Averagers Spiderman exclusive content and FF7 timed exclusive should be a valid lesson to them. Stop limiting your games and content to customers and they will make more money.

What does the Spiderman dlc and ff7r have to do with anything lol? Ff7r was successful and that DLC isn't even out yet.

People should read more than just that small piece if you care to understand whats going on with said companies.

When FFVIIR was released in Q1, there was a positive spike in HD games that almost matched all of the previous years HD games sales in one quarter.

While when Avengers released they still sold a lot... But operating profit on HD games was negative.... This likely means they were and are spending a lot more money on development of new HD games, or wasting money on GaAS stuff for Avengers. I ofcourse do not think Avengers performed to their expectations. However, I think that's a good thing. Their Original IP not GaAS games are much better games, and much more original titles that I'd prefer they go back to.

However, SE also is not doing near as bad as Sega, SE still made money overall.

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

This have 0 to do with the two topics your brought, but thank you.

I can't believe we have users in this thread still crying about Spiderman DLC lol. 

No mate, i could care less about Spiderman. Just bringing up anti consumer moves. Serves Square right. Game is a disaster and well deserved to be.

DonFerrari said:
PotentHerbs said:

Can't believe we have users in this thread still crying about Spiderman DLC lol. 

Or thinking that FFVIIR lost money while believing these games would earn a lot by being on GP.

Unable to read through the lines. I bring Squares decisions up because the company is lost a fair bit of money and when they shill out to companies, its good they get a hard lesson knowing that they would have made alot more money if they went the other way or didnt try to slap other users in the face.

Also this isnt about Xbox, FF7 is a timed exclusives meaning they also shafted thier PC audience, small little gaming Apps like Steam with 100s of million users cannot buy FF7. More customers = more money. When they start crying why they arent profiting as good as they should, they need look in the mirror and go "thats why"

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 November 2020

Around the Network
Chazore said:
That's what happens when you do exclusivity for one console, fuck over 2 other consoles and PC. You reap what you sow, get mad SE, get top kek levels of mad and deal with it. You bitched about TR sales when you made that crappy timed deal with Xbox, then Deus Ex MKD when you pulled those MT's and edition versions, now you've done it again and it's all on you as usual.

Maybe, I dunno, it's not that hard, but don't do shitty timed deals with just one sodding console?. Maybe release for all 3 and PC, to maximise sales, both short term and long tail?. I really think most pubs are thick as hell when they always end up putting way, way too much focus on short term gains over losing long term gains and customer trust.

I didn't buy into Avengers due to the deal and that it's GaaS, but I sure as hell ain't buying FF VIIR because it's in parts, and timed exclusive, so fuck paying a high price for part one a year later. Hop you learn from this SE, but you've done it multiple times for years, so I'm sure you won't learn from this and just look for something else to blame, as greedy, garbage publisher suits tend to do.

There is no correlation between that and the DLC. The games it self already bad without even the DLC. 

vivster said:
Most of that budget was the license. I hope they learn from that mistake.

You don't think the mistake was the game? You see the reviews? A good comic book game has the potential to sell many millions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Making spiderman exclusive was a mistake.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:
Most of that budget was the license. I hope they learn from that mistake.

You don't think the mistake was the game? You see the reviews? A good comic book game has the potential to sell many millions.

The mistake was getting an expensive license and then not make sure to actually make a good game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Did UA3 on Switch also flopped? That game seemed like have a lower budget but it uses the same characters.

Pocky Lover Boy!