By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix reports ¥6.5b loss for HD games, driven by poor performance of Marvel's Avengers

DonFerrari said:

Understood so it is just you showing your accute business accumen.

Its not rocket science.

Otter said:

FFVII was hugely profitable for them though. 

This is more about Marvel flopping

FF7 could have been even more profitable and could have made up the loses of Marvels Avengers.. but 

Instead they locked FF7 away to one platform for however long, decided to make exclusive content for the Avengers on PS4 which devalued all other versions of the game, and here we are, SE crying they didn't make a good profit on the Avengers.

Unwarranted timed exclusive content set the tone for this entire game and Squares sad face. It serves them right.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Its not rocket science.

Otter said:

FF7 could have been even more profitable and could have made up the loses of Marvels Avengers.. but 

Instead they locked FF7 away to one platform for however long, decided to make exclusive content for the Avengers on PS4 which devalued all other versions of the game, and here we are, SE crying they didn't make a good profit on the Avengers.

Unwarranted timed exclusive content set the tone for this entire game and Squares sad face. It serves them right.

Doesn't prevent you from getting it wrong though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Its not rocket science.

Otter said:

I consider that unlikely considering how skewed the franchises sales have been towards playstation. More profitable? Sure, although we don't know how much sony paid them. Enough to make up for the loss of a Avengers failing? We'll never know. 

Avengers flopping on every platform including Playstation, tell us that the exclusivity deal for spiderman (if there was one as oppose to sony already having exclusive rights to the property) is not what caused the games underperformance 

I mean Im all for calling out unecessary money hatting and celebrating companies receiving "bad karma" but I also see them flopping with avengers as an unrelated to the topic. 

I’m sensing more exclusivity deals in the future. Lol

Otter said:

I consider that unlikely considering how skewed the franchises sales have been towards playstation. More profitable? Sure, although we don't know how much sony paid them. Enough to make up for the loss of a Avengers failing? We'll never know. 

Avengers flopping on every platform including Playstation, tell us that the exclusivity deal for spiderman (if there was one as oppose to sony already having exclusive rights to the property) is not what caused the games underperformance 

I mean Im all for calling out unecessary money hatting and celebrating companies receiving "bad karma" but I also see them flopping with avengers as an unrelated to the topic. 

Its more ironic that the game Square tried to money hat DLC failed hard. I don't feel pity or remorse for them, just a simple facepalm to their business decisions as of late.

Also anyone expecting movie based games to be masterpieces is looking in the wrong industry. Companies rely heavily on the licenses and brand power over quality. Its nothing new in this industry. This concept has been going on for many decades.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Otter said:

Its more ironic that the game Square tried to money hat DLC failed hard. I don't feel pity or remorse for them, just a simple facepalm to their business decisions as of late.

Also anyone expecting movie based games to be masterpieces is looking in the wrong industry. Companies rely heavily on the licenses and brand power over quality. Its nothing new in this industry. This concept has been going on for many decades.

I suppose Spider-Man for PS4 was a very bad game and your complains of it being locked to PS4 were then unecessary right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

hunter_alien said:

Do you really think that that was the reason the game bombed? Man, I taught that people come to this site to get some actual industry insights, not to vent their frustrations, but it seems I was wrong.

It's also a shame that you and 4 others are biased when "looking" for said "insight". I would have "taught" that would be left at the front door, but I guess not.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

DonFerrari said:

I suppose Spider-Man for PS4 was a very bad game and your complains of it being locked to PS4 were then unecessary right?

Ill be curious to see why you think it was okay for Spider-man on PS4 to be a locked exclusive?

You tell me, do you think Spider-man is a masterpiece?

I also never said all movie based games are bad, i said don't expect masterpieces.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Ill be curious to see why you think it was okay for Spider-man on PS4 to be a locked exclusive?

You tell me, do you think Spider-man is a masterpiece?

I also never said all movie based games are bad, i said don't expect masterpieces.

Yes Spider-Man on PS4 is a masterpiece. And it was ok because Sony paid for the whole development of the game. They were approached by Marvel, offered the deal and asked to choose a dev.

DonFerrari said:

Yes Spider-Man on PS4 is a masterpiece. And it was ok because Sony paid for the whole development of the game. They were approached by Marvel, offered the deal and asked to choose a dev.

And most likely Sony told Marvel to not allow this game on other platforms. 

If you don't own it, than it shouldn't be exclusive, but hey that's just my opinion.

If you think Spiderman is a masterpiece than good for you.