By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results (Switch 68.3m, Animal Crossing 26.04m)

24m projection for the FY seems kinda low but I guess that's how Nintendo rolls. I was expecting Animal Crossing to overtake Mario Kart 8:Deluxe this quarter but I guess it's going to wait.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

A difference of over 5 million seems crazy considering the console is selling out instantly in Japan and still very hard to get at the base price in the US I believe? I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems weird for retailers to stockpile that early for Christmas when they could easily sell those Switches right now.

The difference isn't necessarily 5m+, it's not even likely to be that big. "More than 63 million" also applies for values just under 64m, nevermind that Nintendo's sell-through figures for Switch have always been on the low side, so the gap between sell-through and shipments has commonly been unusually big.

It's not unusual for retailers to place large orders in September already, especially for a console like Switch which has been in short supply for an extended period of time. Nintendo counts units as shipped before they have arrived at retailers, hence why I refered to these as units in transit as opposed to units on store shelves. I don't think retailers will do any stockpiling, it's just that the sell-through of these units could not possibly be recorded by September because these large shipments were still in transit.

A shame that we only get Famitsu and NPD numbers, so it's difficult to put the pieces of the puzzle together. October NPD should be big. But the biggest year over year growth in shipments occured in Europe and Other where we rarely get numbers from.

True of course that it could be close to 64 million, in which case we'd be looking at something closer to a 4.5 mil difference.

I did consider the fact that maybe they had a huge amount in transit at the end of September, but those shipments should have arrived by now and if they are indeed not stockpiling that would probably be noticable. I suppose its possible that we will see a very big NPD October, but Famitsu numbers haven't seemed all too different as of late (a couple of 100k weeks, but we've seen that before this year).

For now I'm leaning mostly towards Nintendo lowballing the estimate, though it is possible that the gap is bigger than I had thought.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Where is Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Stellar_Fungk said:
Where is Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

彼はもう死んでいる

Marth said:
Nintendo upped the forcast to 24M units of hardware

If they say 24m, then I expect something between 27-30m; if they said 28m, then I'd expect 32-33m.  It seems like they've been overly conservative with their hardware estimates ever since they got embarrassed by not reaching their FY19 projection.

Around the Network

75.95m

68.85m

MK8D - Became the top selling MK game of all time when totaled with the WiiU version and is the top selling racing game of all time as a result, it'll go on to become the top selling MK and racing game on a single platform at this point.

ACNH - Not much to really say will eventually cross the 30m mark.

Smash - Not really anything to say here it's already the best selling in its series and genre where it goes will be the new bar to be compared to.

BOTW - Has pretty much been a monster flagship title for the platform, here since launch and still putting in a performance it's essentially the first party R* title at the moment.

Pokemon S/S - Already the third best selling title in the series it'll cross the 20m mark the first the series has done since G/S and could become the second best selling title in the series with legs.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - I said early in the NS' life that a LM game could be a potential 10m seller as well as a Tomodachi title and so far LM3 is making the steady journey to that milestone.

Ring Fit - So uh people know RFA is selling but no one is picking up on the fact that it's now one of the best selling RPGs released and still going despite being just under 6m sales. This is the true story of the Q2 results right here as RFA has pulled off a Splatoon.

Curl, can you please add Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to the OP?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how well BOTW is doing. To think that up until now Zelda sales would often hover around the 4-7 Million sales mark on average is crazy. BOTW has completely upended that trend.

I have to say I'm Pleasantly surprised and happy that a simple game like Clubhouse games sold almost 1 million units in the past quarter alone and is now borderline at 2 million. I want more simple casual fun pick up play games on the Switch like we saw during the Wii era with stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Play, I hope this sends a message to Nintendo that there is demand for simple casual games like Wii Sports/Clubhouse games so maybe Nintendo could make a sequel to Wii Sports on Switch or something.

If NS has the usual holiday sales average of 10m or so it guarantees a FY finish with more than 80m shipped it would mean NS doesn't just pass the 3DS but also the PSP and GBA in the FY which isn't even the insane part of it as a good holiday showing with a decent Q4 would mean it'll be breathing down the back of the 360.