By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results (Switch 68.3m, Animal Crossing 26.04m)

Breath of the wild now sold more than 20 million units, including the Wiiu version.

Think for yourself, question authority

Around the Network

Really dissapointed in the XC DE quarterly sales. Seems it did only 80k in 3 months. Was expecting something along the lines of 300k to 400k.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

RolStoppable said:

Nintendo's supplementary information suggests that fiscal Q2 already saw a chunk of the holiday stockpile being in transit. While fiscal Q1 had shipments of only 5.67m in comparison to Q2's 6.85m, Nintendo estimates that sell-through was higher during Q1 in addition to putting global LTD sell-through at merely "over 63m million" while LTD shipments are at 68.30m. Page 11 of this document:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/201105_4e.pdf

5 million of stocks ? That's pretty insane. I always thought their sell-through numbers were odd, but now I think they don't make any sense.

Awesome numbers! And seems like the Mario All stars strategy is working very well. Easy money for Nintendo there.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Awesome numbers! And seems like the Mario All stars strategy is working very well. Easy money for Nintendo there.

Crazy how a limited run game is going to outsell most games that don't have a 6 month time limit.  Essentially it isn't even worth much as a collector's item now when you think about it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

The funny thing is that after just two weeks there exist almost as much Switch copies of Super Mario Sunshine than original GameCube copies in the world.

RolStoppable said:

Updated the spreadsheet with all the official data I could find.

Hardware SKU breakdown is 5.30m for the hybrid and 1.55m for the Lite, so Nintendo's production plans have been adjusted to satisfy demand accordingly. The quarter ending June 2020 had 3.05m hybrids and 2.62m Lites, so close to a 1:1 ratio between the SKUs; now in the most recent quarter the hybrid leads by more than a 3:1 ratio.

Nintendo's supplementary information suggests that fiscal Q2 already saw a chunk of the holiday stockpile being in transit. While fiscal Q1 had shipments of only 5.67m in comparison to Q2's 6.85m, Nintendo estimates that sell-through was higher during Q1 in addition to putting global LTD sell-through at merely "over 63m million" while LTD shipments are at 68.30m. Page 11 of this document:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/201105_4e.pdf

Additionally, Nintendo increased their hardware forecast from 19m to only 24m which further supports the idea that a notable chunk of the holiday stockpile was already sold to retailers during the quarter ending September 2020. It's for the best not to expect a substantial year over year increase in shipments for the holiday quarter, so calculate with a range of 9-11m instead of a more ambitious 12-14m. Either way though, Nintendo is going to meet their updated forecast with ease; a flat 9m would bring the fiscal year total already to 21.52m, so just 2.5m shy of the projected 24.00m. There's still no official word on production capacities, so we can't say for sure how much higher than 24m it is for the year. While demand may be there to hit 30m, that won't matter if such a high number of units cannot be produced in time.

Nintendo's software forecast remains extremely conservative despite an upgrade from 140m to 170m, so now a good 1m more than in the previous fiscal year. The current fiscal year has already hit the 100m mark, so only 70m left to go; last year's holiday quarter saw software shipments of ~65m, so this forecast will be a piece of cake to meet even if Switch hardware sells in really only 24m this fiscal year.

A difference of over 5 million seems crazy considering the console is selling out instantly in Japan and still very hard to get at the base price in the US I believe? I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems weird for retailers to stockpile that early for Christmas when they could easily sell those Switches right now.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I doubt there’s 5M Switches on shelves, even if stores have begun stockpiling for the holidays. Nintendo probably just says 63+ because they don’t have a reliable newer number than that.

Damn good quarter. And Breath of the Wild is about to cross 20m on Switch alone. Very nice.

Crazy numbers, if the holiday numbers are at least similar to last year's, it should end the year scratching on 80M sold.

My only question is if 2020 could be Switch's peak year, despite the fact that a price cut and a new model could easily happen next year.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138