By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you drink, and if so how much?

I am a...

Non-drinker 49 30.82%

Occasional drinker 72 45.28%

Moderate drinker 28 17.61%

Heavy drinker 10 6.29%

Total:159

No that often actually. Probably a few times a month at best, but usually even less. I only drink when I meet with friends and in a mood for a drink. As for drinks itself, I like beer, cider and some hard drinks, like Jagermeister or vodka cocktails. But I drink the hard stuff very rarely. It's just way too easy to get drunk with this stuff, so you need to be cautious with that. Can't stand drinks like wine and champagne because I don't like their taste at all.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
I swear the people in this forum are the weirdest bunch.
I do drink of course, mostly whisky. Beer and wine would be my secondary choices.

I was waiting for someone else to say something other than no or beer lol.   Whisky wooo

curl-6 said:

Surprised to see that so far 80% of voters either don't drink or only drink occasionally.

Among the folks I know it's more like 80% are heavy to moderate drinkers, but then again, I am Australian, getting hammered is basically a national sport here.

I used to be a heavy drinker when I was 18-23, then from 24-30 I've been only an occasional drinker, then I stopped drinking for over a year when I had cancer, and now drink exactly once every 14 days as I organized an fortnightly online hangout for my friends as most of us were in lockdown.

My favourites are Baileys and Midori. Separately though, those two would not go well together haha.

Yer I feel cheated here reading these responses.

All those American movies with piss ups. Seems like it only happens in College and beer lol. After that they turn to sainthood lol. 

I might drink a bit of wine on the weekends and that’s it. Used to drink Bacardi in 2008.

Once a month or so. Usually coffee liquors like Kahlua.

I also like mixed drinks. vodka, blue curacao, and sprite (Blue Tuxedo). :)

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

I drink more than any health person should. I've had a lot of struggles in my life, especially mental, and drinking is a temporary solution for that... but when you're going from one temporary to another constantly it sort of becomes permanent... so yeah, at one point in my life, and for quite a long time, I considered myself a high functioning alcoholic. It's something I'm slowly but surely trying to beat, but this last year has been a major fuck over for me in pretty much every regard. I've not been drinking every single day, but the days I do drink I've been having quite a bit. My favourite thing to drink is spiced rum, Kraken is the bees knees although I do enjoy a bit of Captain Morgan's too... I'll have them straight or mixed with whatever I'm drinking. Next up is a lovely bit of Jack Daniels, I really love the honey one, again I'll have that on its own or mixed with pretty much whatever... if we're talking "softer" drinks, can't go wrong with fruity cider! Strongbow dark fruits for the value, it's piss cheap and tastes alright, but I also love my bottles of Bulmers or Koppaberg too.

I'm sorry to hear you're still having a rough time of it man. I used to drinking heavily to cope with mental health problems like depression and anxiety when I was 18-23, I was also essentially a high functioning alcoholic during those years of my life. 

There's no easy fix, but what helped me was to use my support network as much as possible, to be open with my issues and ask for help from friends, family, professionals. Getting on the right medication also helped me to stop self-medicating my drinking to excess.

I got into drinking for about a year or so, but I stopped it completely. It would've been stupid not to knowing how badly it could affect my health.

Wow surprised how many on here don't drink. I don't drink too often anymore but there was certainly a good decade of my life I got drunk almost every night. I don't drink too often these days a drink or two at social gatherings or after a running race. My drink of choice was rum and coke in my teenage years, beer and jager bombs in my 20's and more recently fireball shots and light beer.

Bristow9091 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm sorry to hear you're still having a rough time of it man. I used to drinking heavily to cope with mental health problems like depression and anxiety when I was 18-23, I was also essentially a high functioning alcoholic during those years of my life. 

There's no easy fix, but what helped me was to use my support network as much as possible, to be open with my issues and ask for help from friends, family, professionals. Getting on the right medication also helped me to stop self-medicating my drinking to excess.

Honestly I've accepted that for the most part I'm pretty much always going to drink, I've tried therapy for my problems, I've tried medication, therapy did nothing and the medication made me feel worse, especially since everything I was prescribed seemed to clash with my epilepsy medication too... drinking has basically become my coping mechanism for when my mental health takes a nosedive, and this year has had it in a constant downward trajectory to the point where, well let's say I've made some questionable decisions. I've tried reaching out to friends and family about my mental health problems, but my friends are never around to talk, as if everyone's drifted off, or they've drifted off together without me for the most part, and my family legit believe mental health is a myth or something, like my dad has this whole conspiracy about it, doesn't care that his son has almost died multiple times due to mental health issues, he's one of those old generation people who think men have to be manly men without feelings and shit and mental health was created to sell pills... I really wish I was exaggerating with this by the way. Anyway, this isn't the "Vent about your mental health issues" thread so I'm gonna' shut myself up before I carry on and say too much.

If you ever need to talk or just vent feel free to message me. I've been through some dark times myself so I know how hard it can be. Know that you are cared about here.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 November 2020

Wild Turkey American Honey on the rocks or Stella Artois