By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

I think the first Last of Us may be the best game I've ever played. I only replayed it once, though. Its brutal.

The 2nd one is WAY more brutal, and depressing, and a slog. I'm glad I played it, but I have no intention of ever playing it again.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

I generally don't watch movies, series, documentaries that are depressing or might leave me feeling down. I don't care how great the last of us two is, it's simply not something I'm interested in due to the story. The same goes for my nephew and a lot of my friends who didn't buy although they bought the original and again as a remaster.

I really appreciate when people are just honest and states right away the game are not for them instead of finding nonexistent problems in the story, gameplay etc etc

DonFerrari said:
pikashoe said:

Not surprised to see the king of the strawmen in this thread.

Could say I'm surprised to see you not contributing to the thread but preferring to give jabs on other user... guess you are the best human being then.

I was going to type out something longer but there's no point. You're impossible to deal with

I think it's a bit early to say weather this game will be as leggy as other big Sony titles

IcaroRibeiro said:
Fei-Hung said:

I generally don't watch movies, series, documentaries that are depressing or might leave me feeling down. I don't care how great the last of us two is, it's simply not something I'm interested in due to the story. The same goes for my nephew and a lot of my friends who didn't buy although they bought the original and again as a remaster.

I really appreciate when people are just honest and states right away the game are not for them instead of finding nonexistent problems in the story, gameplay etc etc

And I like it when people acknowledge that things they may not mind might be problems for other people, rather than just pretending everything is perfect and calling any criticism others may have "nonexistent".

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

And I like it when people acknowledge that things they may not mind might be problems for other people, rather than just pretending everything is perfect and calling any criticism others may have "nonexistent".

Calling anything you don't enjoy in the story a plot hole when everything about it makes absolutely sense is just finding a nonexistent problem to justify (in a objective light) your own taste   

Edit: Just for practical example

- You hating Joel death and finding this a lame game decision that killed your enjoyment and criticizing ND deceptive marketing about what Joel role in this game would be like = Ok  

- You stating the scene doesn't make sense = Finding a nonexistent problem  

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 26 October 2020

IcaroRibeiro said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Calling anything you don't enjoy in the story a plot whole when everything about it makes absolutely sense is just finding a nonexistent problem to justify (in a objective light) your own taste   

Edit: Just for practical example

- You hating Joel death and finding this a lame game decision that killed your enjoyment and criticizing ND deceptive marketing about what Joel hole in this game would be like = Ok  

- You stating the scene doesn't make sense = Finding a nonexistent problem  

I think people can easily make the claim that Joel is acting out of character during that scene which can be a problem for some people. That along with some big plot conveniences can also be a problem for some people. Abby just randomly running into Joel within a few minutes of her introduction is pretty clunky.

KLAMarine said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Memes?  Dude, I play Them's fightin' Herds.  If memes keep you from a game, then maybe you need to do some searching within yourself.  Things like that only have power if you give them power.  I personally hated Last of Us Part 2 so much that I never bothered to buy the game, despite beating the first game several times on PS3 (couldn't be bothered to play it again on PS4 when I wanted new stuff)

Spoiler!
And the sex scene was weird, out of place, and random.  Not to mention, Sony was ok with that, but censored other games like DMC5?  Like I said, Abby was not a likable person.  It had nothing to do with her body, but the way the character was handled.  I personally hated it.  So, when you have a character like that, what do you expect to happen? I don't even think Bunny from Power Puff Girls got as much hate as Abby did.

Speaking of nothing new, characters like Abby have been around before.  New characters which take the spotlight over the original characters...  Bunny from Power Puff Girls came out literal decades before Abby, and didn't get anywhere near as much hate.  Why is that?  Because even that character had more likable characteristics than Abby did, and we didn't spend 15 hours with Bunny.

But, I watched the game on twitch.  I gave the game a chance.  I got sick of seeing Ellie stab people in the neck of all things.  I didn't like how the game shifted focus to Abby for what? 7 hours? 15 hours? Whatever it was.  There was a better way to write that story.  It took a chance, and it failed, trying to make a message of, "Look at all this violence - nothing good comes of it."

Now that the cat is out of the bag, and people know exactly what the game is, we will see exactly how well the game does on PS5.  Even with an online mode.

And hate for last of us 2 is based around the handling of joel.  Everyone had a feeling he wasn't going to make it out of the game alive.  But to see it done so amateurishly is the cause of the backlash.  Not Abby herself. 

"Look at all this violence - nothing good comes of it."

Was this really the message? Because it's easily countered:

Spoiler!

Had Abby finished Ellie early on, Ellie wouldn't be able to go on her rampage. Maybe Abby needed to be more violent?

And Ellie's rampage got her to her goal of reaching Abby and nearly getting her vengeance. Maybe the right violence can be a good thing?

If not for Ellie's rampage, Abby would stay strung up to a piece of wood to waste away.

Ellie sparing Abby: what if Abby starts getting flashbacks or decides to return to kill Ellie as a means of preventing another potential rampage?

Very murky messaging.

And speaking of memes, one of my favorite ones from Internet Historian's hilarious playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuQbFhl6GA

Well, specifically from the director:

Neil Druckmann said:
We’re making a game about the cycle of violence and we’re making a statement about violent actions and the impact they have on the character that’s committing them and on the people close to them.

So, the game is basically about violence and that it's wrong.

Replicant said:
Azzanation said:
Curious to why people think this game is GOTY?

Could the reason be that they happen to like the game?

I see why the story (and character arcs) can be divisive but I personally enjoyed playing it. I preferred the story in TLOU but TLOU2's improved gameplay mechanics pretty much outweighs it (for me). I'm hyped for Cyberpunk and I can't say which game will be GOTY (for me) until the end of the year.

Maybe, than maybe not. I wont be surprised if it takes home GOTY awards, that part of the industry is just another avenue to someone else's opinion/opinions, plus revolves around a massive circle jerk of whats popular that makes their shows stand out.. 

In saying all that, all i can say with my own experience is a couple things.

Positives: Visuals, sound and Presentation. Its undeniable a gorgeous looking game, one of the best looking this gen and the sound is just as good. Presentation is what you would expect for a high budget AAA title.

Neutral: Gameplay and Polish. TLOU2 does nothing new, its the same game which isn't a bad thing however far from perfect. Their were moments i had issues controlling the characters in combat and i did come across some glitches with enemies getting stuck or my melee swings would swing through the enemies without hitting them. Both were adequate for what the game is doing, iv seen a lot worse and iv also seen a lot better.

Negatives: Innovation, Story, and Direction. TLOU2 lacks innovation, it plays almost identical to the previous game only adding 1 new ability Prone. Story is a complete shambles and the direction has put a lot of people off the series.

Overall: If visuals, sound and presentation is all someone cares about than TLOU2 is up their as one of the best games ever made BUT.. a heavily story driven game failing on the story is where is falls really short for me. Lets compare it to another GOTY potential, look at Half Life Alyx, a game that offers a decent story, filled with innovations since it uses VR and takes it to a whole new level and is a solid all round package. Half Life Alyx wont win GOTY possibly due to it being a VR title and will simply be just sub categorized for an award and not overall (I could be wrong, however i wont be surprise) HLA received amazing reviews and also received amazing feedback from the user base, something TLOU2 would be hiding in its award ceremony if it wins.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 26 October 2020

Burning Typhoon said:
KLAMarine said:

"Look at all this violence - nothing good comes of it."

Was this really the message? Because it's easily countered:

Spoiler!

Had Abby finished Ellie early on, Ellie wouldn't be able to go on her rampage. Maybe Abby needed to be more violent?

And Ellie's rampage got her to her goal of reaching Abby and nearly getting her vengeance. Maybe the right violence can be a good thing?

If not for Ellie's rampage, Abby would stay strung up to a piece of wood to waste away.

Ellie sparing Abby: what if Abby starts getting flashbacks or decides to return to kill Ellie as a means of preventing another potential rampage?

Very murky messaging.

And speaking of memes, one of my favorite ones from Internet Historian's hilarious playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuQbFhl6GA

Well, specifically from the director:

Neil Druckmann said:
We’re making a game about the cycle of violence and we’re making a statement about violent actions and the impact they have on the character that’s committing them and on the people close to them.

So, the game is basically about violence and that it's wrong.

Unless you really commit to it and leave no loose ends.

Spoiler!
Had Abby killed Ellie early on, there would have been no rampage. etc etc