By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

Srassy said:
KratosLives said:

Spoiler alert. The hate for abby stemmed for the leaks, and she made out to be a transgender. She isn't a butch character, but I blame it to the direction/animation that just happened to be in the leaked footage, where she appeared and large and her face looked aliitle distorted looking. But when you play the game, she is actually the complete opposite to that menacing persona. And there are cutscenes that show she isn't butch, but infact lean and ripped. Abby is infact probably one of the most beautifully realized character made, her personality and qualities stand out, and is well made as joel/ellie if not better. And it's such a shame the undeserved hate she got, and I understand why neil said he is so proud of her and the character they created.

As for joel, he had it coming , everyday was a time bomb and his death was going to be ugly, and it fit perfectly the tone of the game, the series, the world they live in. His death and impact was beautifully redeemed with the flashback segments. People just don't know what kind of game they were playing, it's as though subconsciously they were expecting an uncharted like game, with an uncharted like ending. Were people expectinmg joel to die by a clicker or shot by some enemy or die of cancer or something? Then you have people expecting another joel and ellie team up and a repeat of the first game, which would have been pointless because their first outing together is unsurpasable, as in the emotions they experienced and what they went through in terms of raw emotion, is as good and high as it gets. Was joel supposed to sit at home and offer ellie advice and then save her along the way, like he did multiple times already?? The game had to go in the direction that it went.

Once they release the multipleplayer, people will start twitching and live streaming on youtube and such, and it will gain populatiry and more sales will come. There are people who love the multiplayer more than campain and are waiting. And this will sell well om ps4 and ps5 when the enhanced edition comes out.

Hey, it fine if you liked the game but don't insult people who didn't by saying that they didn't understand the game.  I went in with an open mind and hated it.  Most people who I saw who didn't like the game didn't expect Joel to survive the game.  They just hated how it was done.  And literally Naughty Dog set up the idea of another Joel and Ellie repeat of the first game with their marketing!  Remember the "You think I'd let you do this alone" that was said by Joel in the marketing and Jesse in the game?  I think you're being disingenuous here

I avoided all trailers going into the game. I'm sorry if people hated how joel was done, but that was an initial reaction and was shocking, but after some thinking and perspectives, my mind changed. It made sense to me over time. And I wouldn't have it changed. Joel went out like joel, he didn't ber for mercy or cry, he took it like a man. And for a game of this nature it's makes perfect sense. This isn't a game where we get the endings we want, ( well the ending was perfect to me, as everyone got a second shot at life) but hey atleast joel went down to someone significant. If joel knew who abby was would he have accepted his death there?  I'm sure at that point he was ready to go and remember ellie had gave him the pleasure of forgiving him, the night before. But it was as though he never left, due to the flashbacks, particular one beautiful flashback which was perfect and wouldn't have been as effective had joel not died earlier. Like I said this is a game that needs to be played more than once to fully get the complete picture, and you change with the game over more repeatings. This game reminds me of some of the great polarizing movies of the past that initially were hit hard, but later became all time classics. 

Last edited by KratosLives - on 26 October 2020

Around the Network

The more story-driven, linear games tend to be far more front loaded. Lesser replay value typically means more of a quick dropoff in sales.

There's also the likely backlash over the narrative and themes.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Burning Typhoon said:
BraLoD said:

It is relevant when it becomes a meme, you are completely understimating the power of ridiculous stuff on the internet.

I've heard more about Abby body then the spoilers before the game released (gladly), and people were going on a purposedly harmful spree of spoiling of the game.

About what Abby does, you are making a mistake thinking she has to be likable to do anything, everyone is quite flawed in TLoU world, that's a lot of its essence, nodoby is a hero, Joel certainly wasn't, and that was a huge point in the original game: egotism.

About Ellie sexuality, it was already a part of the original game, it was a big point of its DLC too, it was nothing new.

TLoU2 got a lot of hate from people that never touched it, people that talk a lot of shit about things they don't even know, it was the same back then with the original, TLoU was the game that made mainstream the idiocy of "Sony make movies not games", gladly it was completely crushed by the game success, TLoU was a shiny new thing afterall.

The hate TLoU2 got was built quite a lot prior the game release, which was carried by a massive hate campaign, very clear on Metacritic, from people that never played it and didn't knew a thing about the game but memes and cherry picked spoilers.

On this very site I was told the game was supposed to have a horrible ending when it had a completely well thought one which a lot of built up within the game to develop that way.

All games, and things, suffer from blind hate to various extents, but as far as games goes TLoU2 is by far the biggest case we have had, it felt like it was quite organized and had the clear goal to set a bad image of it as if it was a consensus.

TLoU2 will have excellent sales anyway, we still have its multiplayer game to come and a potential PS5 second wind.

But what was pushed against this game was certainly blind hate to gargantuous extents. You don't get 50K+ people that didn't play it giving it 0 scores on metacritic before day one was even finished (with more than 130K total scores now) when very successful games like GoW4 only move 13K in their whole lifetime. It was a completely unnatural thing, it was staged and it affected the hive-mind view of it to some good extent without a doubt.

Memes?  Dude, I play Them's fightin' Herds.  If memes keep you from a game, then maybe you need to do some searching within yourself.  Things like that only have power if you give them power.  I personally hated Last of Us Part 2 so much that I never bothered to buy the game, despite beating the first game several times on PS3 (couldn't be bothered to play it again on PS4 when I wanted new stuff)

Spoiler!
And the sex scene was weird, out of place, and random.  Not to mention, Sony was ok with that, but censored other games like DMC5?  Like I said, Abby was not a likable person.  It had nothing to do with her body, but the way the character was handled.  I personally hated it.  So, when you have a character like that, what do you expect to happen? I don't even think Bunny from Power Puff Girls got as much hate as Abby did.

Speaking of nothing new, characters like Abby have been around before.  New characters which take the spotlight over the original characters...  Bunny from Power Puff Girls came out literal decades before Abby, and didn't get anywhere near as much hate.  Why is that?  Because even that character had more likable characteristics than Abby did, and we didn't spend 15 hours with Bunny.

But, I watched the game on twitch.  I gave the game a chance.  I got sick of seeing Ellie stab people in the neck of all things.  I didn't like how the game shifted focus to Abby for what? 7 hours? 15 hours? Whatever it was.  There was a better way to write that story.  It took a chance, and it failed, trying to make a message of, "Look at all this violence - nothing good comes of it."

Now that the cat is out of the bag, and people know exactly what the game is, we will see exactly how well the game does on PS5.  Even with an online mode.

And hate for last of us 2 is based around the handling of joel.  Everyone had a feeling he wasn't going to make it out of the game alive.  But to see it done so amateurishly is the cause of the backlash.  Not Abby herself. 

"Look at all this violence - nothing good comes of it."

Was this really the message? Because it's easily countered:

Spoiler!

Had Abby finished Ellie early on, Ellie wouldn't be able to go on her rampage. Maybe Abby needed to be more violent?

And Ellie's rampage got her to her goal of reaching Abby and nearly getting her vengeance. Maybe the right violence can be a good thing?

If not for Ellie's rampage, Abby would stay strung up to a piece of wood to waste away.

Ellie sparing Abby: what if Abby starts getting flashbacks or decides to return to kill Ellie as a means of preventing another potential rampage?

Very murky messaging.

And speaking of memes, one of my favorite ones from Internet Historian's hilarious playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuQbFhl6GA

The villain was too well introduced. Gamers couldn't handled it, their feefees got hurt.

4 ≈ One

"I gave the game a fair chance, I watched it on Twich after seeing hateful YT reviews that I post all the time".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
"I gave the game a fair chance, I watched it on Twich after seeing hateful YT reviews that I post all the time".

Not surprised to see the king of the strawmen in this thread.

I generally don't watch movies, series, documentaries that are depressing or might leave me feeling down. I don't care how great the last of us two is, it's simply not something I'm interested in due to the story. The same goes for my nephew and a lot of my friends who didn't buy although they bought the original and again as a remaster.

pikashoe said:
DonFerrari said:

Not surprised to see the king of the strawmen in this thread.

Could say I'm surprised to see you not contributing to the thread but preferring to give jabs on other user... guess you are the best human being then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think the first Last of Us may be the best game I've ever played. I only replayed it once, though. Its brutal.

The 2nd one is WAY more brutal, and depressing, and a slog. I'm glad I played it, but I have no intention of ever playing it again.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Fei-Hung said:

I generally don't watch movies, series, documentaries that are depressing or might leave me feeling down. I don't care how great the last of us two is, it's simply not something I'm interested in due to the story. The same goes for my nephew and a lot of my friends who didn't buy although they bought the original and again as a remaster.

I really appreciate when people are just honest and states right away the game are not for them instead of finding nonexistent problems in the story, gameplay etc etc