By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

KLAMarine said:

Many things bothered me in this game. Here's one of them:

Spoiler!

Tommy ACTIVELY giving away his name and Joel's to Abby. Why!? She's a complete stranger! Neither Tommy nor Joel owe her a damn thing!

Abby owes Tommy and Joel her life actually, and we see how wonderfully she repaid that debt.

And some wonder why Abby isn't too well-liked.

SPOILER! Sorry I don't know how to add spoilers, from my phone. 

What about in the first game when ellie/joel gave their names away to strangers in the first game, sam/henry.

What about how everyone in the first game, from davids camp, all of a sudden decided to stop searching for joel but all decided to go after a non important "ellie" instead.  

These didn't bother you? As for abby killing joel, she spent years in pain, gave up a lot, day by by with the intent to avenge her father. Mentally you think she is just going to forget all her rage and mission for revenge, even if the "enemy" happened to save her in the heat of the moment. Psychologicaly it's conflicting, but her desire and years of revenge chasing the man was a lot stronger. As for tommy, he killed her best friend, or close friend, not to mention other friends of hers. It's sad really, all the hate she gets, because it's not her fault. She actually has the biggest heart in the game, as evident from the flashbacks, the way she treats her own friends, the conversations we hear, she has her people's back , goes out on a limb for them, and not to mention willing to give her on life for strangers she just got to know, once considered enemies, and risked her life several times to save people. This whole thing is the result of joel's actions, yet people treat abby as some animal.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Jranation said:
It was a failure. Even games like Animal crossing, Fall guys and Among us had a better reception than the hyped game. Cyberpunk may face a similar situation.

How are you defining failure? 

Failure in terms of expectations. One of the most hyped PS4 games. A sequel to one of  the most well known video game. One would think it will destroy all other games in 2020.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

People need to address the elephant in the room and start talking again about this game since nobody is doing it anymore!!

Jranation said:
JWeinCom said:

Failure in terms of expectations. One of the most hyped PS4 games. A sequel to one of  the most well known video game. One would think it will destroy all other games in 2020.

But it has destroyed all games. I haven't seen any game as discussed as tlou2, whether on youtube or forums. Also many are waiting for the mp to come out before buying.

Jranation said:
JWeinCom said:

No one should have thought that.

The first one sold, according to Sony, about 8 million in its first 12 months. From its release date to the end of the year, that'd be 6.5 million or so, most likely. Sequels sometimes do better than the original, but rarely blow it out of the water completely, especially narrative driven games.

Uncharted 4 for comparison, which was the best selling of the series, sold 8.6 million. It didn't destroy all other games the year it was released. It was about 4 million behind Pokemon Sun and Moon. Fifa also outsold it when you count multiple SKUs, and so did Infinite Warfare. Idk why you'd expect it to sell more than that.

As for Fall Guys and Animal Crossing, those two just became ridiculous hits. Very few games sell that well in their first year. Animal Crossing is at 20 million and fall guys may be above that. You can't really judge TLOU relative to those games. Cause then you don't know if TLOU 2 disappointed, or those games exceeded expectations. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Jranation said:

No one should have thought that.

The first one sold, according to Sony, about 8 million in its first 12 months. From its release date to the end of the year, that'd be 6.5 million or so, most likely. Sequels sometimes do better than the original, but rarely blow it out of the water completely, especially narrative driven games.

Uncharted 4 for comparison, which was the best selling of the series, sold 8.6 million. It didn't destroy all other games the year it was released. It was about 4 million behind Pokemon Sun and Moon. Fifa also outsold it when you count multiple SKUs, and so did Infinite Warfare. Idk why you'd expect it to sell more than that.

As for Fall Guys and Animal Crossing, those two just became ridiculous hits. Very few games sell that well in their first year. Animal Crossing is at 20 million and fall guys may be above that. You can't really judge TLOU relative to those games. Cause then you don't know if TLOU 2 disappointed, or those games exceeded expectations. 

Just wait till it releases on ps5 and multiplayer comes out and howawesome it will be, especially with the damage model/graphics/ multiplayer fun, being streamed online. Another few million in sales will eventually follow.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

How I’ll enjoy reading your comments/reviews for XBox and Nintendo games based on what you wrote here. :)

You are more than welcome to give me a game and ill give you my honest review on it.

It also seems you disagree with my opinion, I am curious to know what makes you think TLOU2 is that amazing?

The best example i could give you is that TLOU is like SW A New Hope and TLOU2 is like SW The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi has superior effects, sound and presentation while A New Hope lacks a lot of the technologies of today, however i can tell you many fans and movie watchers of Star Wars would much rather watch the first movie over the 2nd last movie because it just has a much better story and direction that makes an amazing difference. This is how i felt when playing both.

I like you example, especially considering Neil said he loved Rise of Skywalker saying it was It was "thrilling, emotional, and satisfying". That explains a lot.

Still there is a lot of people who loved The Last Jedi and think it was amazing so what do I know?

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

How I’ll enjoy reading your comments/reviews for XBox and Nintendo games based on what you wrote here. :)

You are more than welcome to give me a game and ill give you my honest review on it.

It also seems you disagree with my opinion, I am curious to know what makes you think TLOU2 is that amazing?

The best example i could give you is that TLOU is like SW A New Hope and TLOU2 is like SW The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi has superior effects, sound and presentation while A New Hope lacks a lot of the technologies of today, however i can tell you many fans and movie watchers of Star Wars would much rather watch the first movie over the 2nd last movie because it just has a much better story and direction that makes an amazing difference. This is how i felt when playing both.

The last Jedi is the best SW movie after Empire Strikes Back. It had terrible legs and earned around only 65% of The Force Awakens box office despite being a much superior movie in every single way. 

And your comparison is on point. People dislike TLOU2 for the same reasons they hated The Last Jedi 

Public reception is really predictable when it comes to mainstream media. The Force Awakens is a straight copy of New Hope with more fancy visuals and absolutely no inspiration whatsoever, but is easy to like as don't have any apparent problem and is just too similar to a New Hope to be disliked 

The Last Jedi goes in the opposite direction and people just went crazy 

If Naughty Dog make a carbon copy of The Last of Us 1 and release in the next 5 years people who disliked the sequel will scream it's the best game ever and "the sequel TLOU really deserved" yikes

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 28 October 2020

Rgj89 said:

With a 93 on metacritic it has a better score than every Xbox one game released. Only 2 switch games have a better metacritic score. It’s the game of the year easily.

If meta is all you care about than Half Life Alyx sits on a 93 meta as well, with much better User reviews to top it off. I also wouldnt count Animal Crossing out this year. 

EnricoPallazzo said:
Azzanation said:

I like you example, especially considering Neil said he loved Rise of Skywalker saying it was It was "thrilling, emotional, and satisfying". That explains a lot.

Still there is a lot of people who loved The Last Jedi and think it was amazing so what do I know?

Alot of Star Wars fans dont like The Last Jedi or the new trilogy, in saying that, there not bad movies, they just dont live up to being masterpieces and the old movies. Plus the new films offer plenty of plot holes in the story, similar to TLOU2 and the directon and decisions made.

Neil liking the new Star Wars films says alot. In technical terms, the new movies use state of the art CGI just like TLOU2 with its tech, however both stories took a massive nose dive to the point people lost interest in the direction. 

I am one of those Star Wars fans that has been disapointed with the new films and the treatment of fan favourite characters.. this sounds like a familar issue that TLOU2 had.

I feel this game is held up by the brand power than the actual game itself. Anyway, its all opinions in the end and nothing more than 1st world country debates.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 October 2020

Azzanation said:
Rgj89 said:

With a 93 on metacritic it has a better score than every Xbox one game released. Only 2 switch games have a better metacritic score. It’s the game of the year easily.

If meta is all you care about than Half Life Alyx sits on a 93 meta as well, with much better User reviews to top it off. I also wouldnt count Animal Crossing out this year. 

EnricoPallazzo said:

Alot of Star Wars fans dont like The Last Jedi, in saying that, its not a bad movie, just doesn't live up to the old movies plus offers plenty of plot holes in the story, similar to TLOU2 and the directon and decisions made.

Neil like the new Star Wars films says alot. In technical terms, the new movies are state of the art CGI so is TLOU2 however both stories took a massive nose dive to the point people lost interest in the direction. 

I am one of those Star Wars fans that has been disapointed with the new films and the treatment of fan favourite characters.. sounds familar to TLOU2.

I feel this game is held up by the brand power than the actual game itself. Anyway, its all opinions in the end and nothing more than 1st world country debates.

You know how they have movie/story classes to educate people and discuss certain themes to help them understand the full picture, to understand perspectives, to broaded their horizon wha tthey missed and didn't get, and these classes can last a while and be very informative and change people's original view on that medium. Well i feel like tlou2 ought to have something like that, to kind of educate the many people who think they know the game they played but don't really. Obviously people have missed out on alot on what the game offers.