By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

Azzanation said:
Rgj89 said:

With a 93 on metacritic it has a better score than every Xbox one game released. Only 2 switch games have a better metacritic score. It’s the game of the year easily.

If meta is all you care about than Half Life Alyx sits on a 93 meta as well, with much better User reviews to top it off. I also wouldnt count Animal Crossing out this year. 

EnricoPallazzo said:

I like you example, especially considering Neil said he loved Rise of Skywalker saying it was It was "thrilling, emotional, and satisfying". That explains a lot.

Still there is a lot of people who loved The Last Jedi and think it was amazing so what do I know?

Alot of Star Wars fans dont like The Last Jedi or the new trilogy, in saying that, there not bad movies, they just dont live up to being masterpieces and the old movies. Plus the new films offer plenty of plot holes in the story, similar to TLOU2 and the directon and decisions made.

Neil liking the new Star Wars films says alot. In technical terms, the new movies use state of the art CGI just like TLOU2 with its tech, however both stories took a massive nose dive to the point people lost interest in the direction. 

I am one of those Star Wars fans that has been disapointed with the new films and the treatment of fan favourite characters.. this sounds like a familar issue that TLOU2 had.

I feel this game is held up by the brand power than the actual game itself. Anyway, its all opinions in the end and nothing more than 1st world country debates.

I will just mention that outside of the visual effects that were groundbreaking for the time, the Star Wars movies have never been considered masterpieces.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

If meta is all you care about than Half Life Alyx sits on a 93 meta as well, with much better User reviews to top it off. I also wouldnt count Animal Crossing out this year. 

Alot of Star Wars fans dont like The Last Jedi or the new trilogy, in saying that, there not bad movies, they just dont live up to being masterpieces and the old movies. Plus the new films offer plenty of plot holes in the story, similar to TLOU2 and the directon and decisions made.

Neil liking the new Star Wars films says alot. In technical terms, the new movies use state of the art CGI just like TLOU2 with its tech, however both stories took a massive nose dive to the point people lost interest in the direction. 

I am one of those Star Wars fans that has been disapointed with the new films and the treatment of fan favourite characters.. this sounds like a familar issue that TLOU2 had.

I feel this game is held up by the brand power than the actual game itself. Anyway, its all opinions in the end and nothing more than 1st world country debates.

I will just mention that outside of the visual effects that were groundbreaking for the time, the Star Wars movies have never been considered masterpieces. 

Even more when we consider the exagerated "coincidences" to move the plot forward, the slow pace and that Luke took like a week course crash and became on par with Darth Vader in skill. It was a fun movie at the time, but yes it isn't a great story, interpretation, etc. And on realism, well we know sound doesn't go on vaccuum.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Srassy said:
KratosLives said:

You know how they have movie/story classes to educate people and discuss certain themes to help them understand the full picture, to understand perspectives, to broaded their horizon wha tthey missed and didn't get, and these classes can last a while and be very informative and change people's original view on that medium. Well i feel like tlou2 ought to have something like that, to kind of educate the many people who think they know the game they played but don't really. Obviously people have missed out on alot on what the game offers.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to say something about this.  It really annoys me how you could be as smug and arrogant to assume that anyone who didn't like the game was too dumb to understand it.

Could you at least try to understand that people might value different things than you do or might see something you don't?  I'm fine with people liking the game even though I hated the story.  Just be a little more respectful, please

Way to go demanding respect by calling someone smug and arrogant, applauses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

If any game needed a class to explain it. It would be something like Nier Automata, not generic revenge is bad story last of us 2.

Azzanation said:
Rgj89 said:

With a 93 on metacritic it has a better score than every Xbox one game released. Only 2 switch games have a better metacritic score. It’s the game of the year easily.

EnricoPallazzo said:

I like you example, especially considering Neil said he loved Rise of Skywalker saying it was It was "thrilling, emotional, and satisfying". That explains a lot.

Still there is a lot of people who loved The Last Jedi and think it was amazing so what do I know?

The Last Jedi is a very very good example. It is really beautiful, well crafted, with a very strong visions from the director to expand on the first movie and trying to break people's expectations. Yet a lot of people say the characters are boring, they were taken in directions no one wanted/expected or even made sense, with no respect for the ethos already established and characters making decisions that does not make sense. Also some parts of the movie like subplots were totally unnecessary and led to nowhere. The ending was bad and on top of all a good chunk of politics. 

I believe the description above could also be applied to tlof2.

Around the Network
Srassy said:
DonFerrari said:

Hey, in the context of claiming that there should be film classes for us peasants who can't understand the themes of TLoU2 because we clearly don't understand the story, yes, that would be considered smug and arrogant.

So as long as you can justify then it is ok to attack someone? So if he think you are a peasant or dumb (using your own reasoning) them it wouldn't be disrespect?

Srassy said:
DonFerrari said:

So as long as you can justify then it is ok to attack someone? So if he think you are a peasant or dumb (using your own reasoning) them it wouldn't be disrespect?

I didn't word what I meant very well.  I mean that when it comes down to it both sides of the TLoU2 run a lot on opinion so you have to respect that other people might see something you don't and vice versa.  I'm not going to insult you for an opinion I don't agree with

I feel no compulsion to respect bad behaviour such as assuming that people who disagree with you on a video game are stupid and uneducated.

Sure I agree there is no need to insult someone for disagreeing with you. And also that most is based on opinion. The problem is that the game have been beaten over and over usually with the same very bad arguments that seem copy and paste from youtube videos, from people that are know haters, so when someone truly played the game and had those same critics it get overshot with the reply that assumes that person was also doing the hate campaign.

You may not respect that behavior for sure, but it isn't the best place to demand respect while being disrespectful as well. Even more when you don't know the person and is just assuming he is being arrogant and smug as much as he may have been assuming you were dumb or peasant (your words). You have a low post count so he certainly doesn't know you or your motivations.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Dood... saying somebody is arrogant and saying somebody is dumb aren't even remotely the same.

One is a derogatory term and the other one isn't.

Call it language barrier but calling someone smug and arrogant are insults and derogatory, they aren't used as compliments are they? You may they aren't the same. And I would agree since every single human being is "dumb" or ignorant on several topics, so anyone you call dumb would certainly be (but possibly not on the field you are calling), while not everyone is smug and arrogant. Still, as I said the point is demanding respect but not giving it.

Srassy said:
DonFerrari said:

Hey, in the context of claiming that there should be film classes for us peasants who can't understand the themes of TLoU2 because we clearly don't understand the story, yes, that would be considered smug and arrogant.

No need to be insulted, there is no shame in someone feeling they could learn more and better from it. Those who do attend classes and such , online forum discussions, I applaud them, they gain a lot of insight , appreciation , value, and So don't think I feel that people are dumb for how they reacted to a game.  Plenty of people loved the game, and the many that didn't, for those who weren't bigots ( the whole trans thing, lesbian issues, muscular woman)they couldn't really move on past the joel/abby scene, and adjust. 

When you have two people in the same house,  who both absolutely loved the first game, and only one loved the sequel, while the other didn't like it, you then ask yourself, how and why. Both experienced the full game, so the issue becomes, it's not what ( the guy who loved it) got from it, but what the person ( that didn't like it), miss , to not like it.  And when you look to forums and the reasons to people who didn't like it, they share a similar trait.  I went from a hater to the complete opposite. This is the psychological aspect of it, and when you look deeply into it, there is a reasoning to address it. I myself experienced it and have had my own feelings change to a game.

I have seen others change their opinions after some discussions and reasonings. It's amazing how one thing can alter the mind and view towards something. I only care so much, because when people make comments like they know the game, speaking on behalf of everyone as though it's fact, that the game falls short here and there and bring up weak arguements that everyone else then copies, is annoying. 

Srassy said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure I agree there is no need to insult someone for disagreeing with you. And also that most is based on opinion. The problem is that the game have been beaten over and over usually with the same very bad arguments that seem copy and paste from youtube videos, from people that are know haters, so when someone truly played the game and had those same critics it get overshot with the reply that assumes that person was also doing the hate campaign.

You may not respect that behavior for sure, but it isn't the best place to demand respect while being disrespectful as well. Even more when you don't know the person and is just assuming he is being arrogant and smug as much as he may have been assuming you were dumb or peasant (your words). You have a low post count so he certainly doesn't know you or your motivations.

I said that I hadn't written my point accurately.  I have shown respect for peoples opinions on here and my demand for respect was that people show the same respect back for my opinion.  I hate the game but I didn't call anyone dumb for that so, while you're trying to portray me as a hypocrite, it won't work.  KratosLives statement was arrogant and it was not an assumption.

I don't care about reiterating my points on the game anymore except to say that if everyone is saying the same stuff about what they disliked then maybe it isn't just a 'copy and paste from youtube' and people genuinely didn't like the points they bring up.  It's a bad idea to assume everyone is acting in bad faith even though I will say that there certainly are people who were.  I don't know what you're qualifying as a 'very bad argument' but that's also subjective.  I understand that for people who really liked the game that it's discouraging to see it getting beaten up again on the internet but the topic literally asked why the game was losing steam.  People who were disappointed by the game were going to mention this here because the game being polarizing was going to affect the games legs.

Unless you think people are robots it is very hard that almost all the legitimate complains have let's say the same 10 points they don't like, written almost the same.

Yes you said your point wasn't accurate. But still don't you think it is odd to demand respect for your opinion when you disrespect the person? I would think respecting a person is more important than respecting a person opinion. Freedom of speech or opinion is to prevent someone from forbidding you to say what you think not to prevent someone from mocking it. But then there is law and social norms that a person itself you must respect.

KratosLives said:
Srassy said:

No need to be insulted, there is no shame in someone feeling they could learn more and better from it. Those who do attend classes and such , online forum discussions, I applaud them, they gain a lot of insight , appreciation , value, and So don't think I feel that people are dumb for how they reacted to a game.  Plenty of people loved the game, and the many that didn't, for those who weren't bigots ( the whole trans thing, lesbian issues, muscular woman)they couldn't really move on past the joel/abby scene, and adjust. 

When you have two people in the same house,  who both absolutely loved the first game, and only one loved the sequel, while the other didn't like it, you then ask yourself, how and why. Both experienced the full game, so the issue becomes, it's not what ( the guy who loved it) got from it, but what the person ( that didn't like it), miss , to not like it.  And when you look to forums and the reasons to people who didn't like it, they share a similar trait.  I went from a hater to the complete opposite. This is the psychological aspect of it, and when you look deeply into it, there is a reasoning to address it. I myself experienced it and have had my own feelings change to a game.

I have seen others change their opinions after some discussions and reasonings. It's amazing how one thing can alter the mind and view towards something. I only care so much, because when people make comments like they know the game, speaking on behalf of everyone as though it's fact, that the game falls short here and there and bring up weak arguements that everyone else then copies, is annoying. 

Basically people that trully played and didn't like, didn't like because it wasn't what they expected the game to be. So it isn't really the game fault but people wanting to judge something based on their personal wishes. The reason of so many complains for it being darker and loss of liked chars is the reason why so many stories are weak, they fear backlash from chance or killing of chars, also explain why soap operas are so popular in Brazil. People want to escape to a perfect world and don't like when they are reminded that fiction can be harsher than life (it hardly is, life is usually much worse and several times less believeable).

I guess there's just one thing nobody can deny: Discussions about this game can get every bit as heated as the discussions about TLJ, lol.