By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Nintendo should get rid of the Switch console and have only the Lite"

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
VAMatt said:

For sale of discussion, let's just say that Pachter is right that handheld mode is significantly more popular. In that case, the right move would be to remove the dock from the hybrid unit's package, reduce the price by $50 (or whatever the magic number is), and only sell docks separately. In fact, even if it's not correct that most people play handheld, it could still make sense to strip out the dock.

Except, he's not.  He said "maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes", which is wildly off the mark according to Nintendo's own data:

The fact that the original Switch model consistently sells out in stores at $100 higher price point than the handheld only Lite model, proves that the hybrid features of the Switch are inherently the most desirable assets of the console.  In any other scenario, you would see the much cheaper Lite sell out first, and then people say "well, only the more expensive hybrid model is available, I guess I'm stuck buying that one."  Well, in reality, there are people out there saying, "damn, all the original models of Switch are sold out.  I guess I either have to buy one at an inflated price from a scalper or settle for the version that I can't use as a home console."

Mandalore76 said:
VAMatt said:

For sale of discussion, let's just say that Pachter is right that handheld mode is significantly more popular. In that case, the right move would be to remove the dock from the hybrid unit's package, reduce the price by $50 (or whatever the magic number is), and only sell docks separately. In fact, even if it's not correct that most people play handheld, it could still make sense to strip out the dock.

Except, he's not.  He said "maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes", which is wildly off the mark according to Nintendo's own data:

The fact that the original Switch model consistently sells out in stores at $100 higher price point than the handheld only Lite model, proves that the hybrid features of the Switch are inherently the most desirable assets of the console.  In any other scenario, you would see the much cheaper Lite sell out first, and then people say "well, only the more expensive hybrid model is available, I guess I'm stuck buying that one."  Well, in reality, there are people out there saying, "damn, all the original models of Switch are sold out.  I guess I either have to buy one at an inflated price from a scalper or settle for the version that I can't use as a home console.

Seems like you guys missed the point of my post.  I said "for the sake of discussion" let's say he's right. 

A very bad idea. Even if Switch owners are mostly playing in handheld mode, they like the freedom to have the dock and removable JoyCons. I don't even think Switch Lite has sold 10 million of the Switch's 65 million and counting units. The hybrid option is much more appealing.
Pachter has some really garbage takes. He said Series X and PS5 were probably gonna be $800 because of their specs. I mean, seriously?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

He wants the Nintendo Switch to sell how he predicted them to sell, so it all makes sense

but I guess he would still be wrong with his sales prediction regardless

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pacther should leave video game media....

But it's better if he stays. We all need a good laugh every now and then.

Around the Network

Can someone who's good with numbers whip up how many of the Switches sold since the Lite's launch have been Lites vs hybrids?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 October 2020

curl-6 said:

Can someone who's good with numbers whip up how many of the Switches sold since the Lite's launch have been Lites vs hybrids?

Part of the problem with using these numbers as a metric of anything is that insofar as I can tell, Switch is sold out everywhere.  Both the Lite and the Hybrid.  People are grabbing whatever they can get their hands on, so either way this is more about how many of each that Nintendo is making. I haven't heard too much anecdotal evidence regarding Europe's stock issues, but this seems to be the case here in NA an in Japan. 

super_etecoon said:
curl-6 said:

Part of the problem with using these numbers as a metric of anything is that insofar as I can tell, Switch is sold out everywhere.  Both the Lite and the Hybrid.  People are grabbing whatever they can get their hands on, so either way this is more about how many of each that Nintendo is making. I haven't heard too much anecdotal evidence regarding Europe's stock issues, but this seems to be the case here in NA an in Japan. 

Good point, but I'm pretty sure that even with the shortages of the hybrid and oversupply of the Lite, more folks are picking up the base model.

I bought my daughter a lite only because we couldn't get a regular Switch and I'm actually contemplating selling the Lite and putting that money towards another regular Switch.

d21lewis said:
I bought my daughter a lite only because we couldn't get a regular Switch and I'm actually contemplating selling the Lite and putting that money towards another regular Switch.

It would not surprise me if a lot of folks who bought a Lite because the hybrid model was unavailable upgrade to the latter sometime down the road.