By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Nintendo should get rid of the Switch console and have only the Lite"

Hes not TOTALLY wrong. Still a fairly dumb statement. Most my older friends dont play it in handheld mode. Most of my younger friends dont play in console mode. Personally id love a console only version w a dedicated power supply to get around the eventaul dead battery issue.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:

Hes not TOTALLY wrong. 

He is. Regular Switch sells way way way more than the Lite, thus stating that they should get rid of the better selling version is absolutely wrong.

SKMBlake said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Hes not TOTALLY wrong. 

He is. Regular Switch sells way way way more than the Lite, thus stating that they should get rid of the better selling version is absolutely wrong.

Yep.  Where I live you can find Lites on the shelf.  The regular version is always sold out.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
SKMBlake said:

Yep.  Where I live you can find Lites on the shelf.  The regular version is always sold out.

Was it that hard to figure out that I agreed with that part being wrong?  Guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

CarcharodonKraz said:
theRepublic said:

Was it that hard to figure out that I agreed with that part being wrong?  Guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

No.  It's the fact that Pachter's statement advocates eliminating the strongest selling/most desirable arm of the Switch family.  There's no "part right" or "part wrong" about that.  Nintendo sells both models, because they want to reach the broadest range of consumers.  But the sales data that we have seen since the Switch Lite's release clearly shows that the original "hybrid" (and more expensive) model remains the primarily sought after version.  During shortages last year, it was also pretty apparent that people who otherwise would have purchase the hybrid model ended up "settling" for the handheld only Lite since it was all that was available outside of overpaying a scalper.  No one is disputing that a market exists for the Lite for gamers who predominately prefer the portable aspect.  But there is no way to be "part right" when making an absolute statement.  "Getting rid" of the hybrid model of the Switch = eliminating the best selling model = Pachter's statement being completely wrong from a business standpoint.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
theRepublic said:

I think people take objection to any part of his statement being right. 

Here's a document made by Nintendo a while ago: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf if you check on page 8 you'll see a graph about Switch use. Now here's Pachter's statement:

"But I don’t think most people play it in both modes (1), I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes (2); and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only (3). So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."

1) False, according to Nintendo over 50% of people play it about equally in docked and handheld mode
2) Very false, it's over 50%
3) False, it's about 30% who play it primarily as a handheld

And that's not even factoring that to be placed in the only docked or only handheld category the threshold was 80% of the time in that mode which means even people in those categories sometimes use the other mode.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

I think people take objection to any part of his statement being right. 

Here's a document made by Nintendo a while ago: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf if you check on page 8 you'll see a graph about Switch use. Now here's Pachter's statement:

"But I don’t think most people play it in both modes (1), I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes (2); and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only (3). So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."

1) False, according to Nintendo over 50% of people play it about equally in docked and handheld mode
2) Very false, it's over 50%
3) False, it's about 30% who play it primarily as a handheld

And that's not even factoring that to be placed in the only docked or only handheld category the threshold was 80% of the time in that mode which means even people in those categories sometimes use the other mode.

Well that's kind of interesting. Guess my friends and I live in that 20% bubble of console only switchers. 

Mandalore76 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

No.  It's the fact that Pachter's statement advocates eliminating the strongest selling/most desirable arm of the Switch family.  There's no "part right" or "part wrong" about that.  Nintendo sells both models, because they want to reach the broadest range of consumers.  But the sales data that we have seen since the Switch Lite's release clearly shows that the original "hybrid" (and more expensive) model remains the primarily sought after version.  During shortages last year, it was also pretty apparent that people who otherwise would have purchase the hybrid model ended up "settling" for the handheld only Lite since it was all that was available outside of overpaying a scalper.  No one is disputing that a market exists for the Lite for gamers who predominately prefer the portable aspect.  But there is no way to be "part right" when making an absolute statement.  "Getting rid" of the hybrid model of the Switch = eliminating the best selling model = Pachter's statement being completely wrong from a business standpoint.

Yep. I agreed gettin rid of the "hybrid" aspect would be dumb.

Jranation said:

Its 2021. No one should be listening to him

Well, you should. You just need to consider that he's like a compass that's pointing south, not north, and you're good to go.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cobretti2 said:

The guy is a waste of space. Can't believe he still has a job.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I know this has been said a lot of times before, but how is he still in the industry? Any armchair analyst would do a better work just by looking at sales numbers.

I have my theory, he actually is a good analyst, but only for those that pay him.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9234445

Even then he's not.

I don't remember where it was, but there was a guy who was tracking his investments, and his earnings were... 101.2%, so a tiny return on investment of only 1.2%. Mind you, that was in 2012 when the stock market was booming, so he was underperforming below the standard