By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Nintendo should get rid of the Switch console and have only the Lite"

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I know this has been said a lot of times before, but how is he still in the industry? Any armchair analyst would do a better work just by looking at sales numbers.

I have my theory, he actually is a good analyst, but only for those that pay him.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9234445

Even then he's not.

I don't remember where it was, but there was a guy who was tracking his investments, and his earnings were... 101.2%, so a tiny return on investment of only 1.2%. Mind you, that was in 2012 when the stock market was booming, so he was underperforming below the standard

Pachter's background is in law and that is why he is a crappy analyst.  He's not a "numbers" guy.  He's a "words" guy.  (Matt Piscatella has a similar story, but I digress.)  They didn't hire Pachter because of his analytical skills.  At best, they hired him out of cronyism.  At worst, they hired him to intentionally distort the truth.  Either way, his analysis is never worth taking seriously.

Around the Network

This is better than comedy central!

steve

This is better than comedy central!

steve

People need to stop entertaining the guy.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

TruckOSaurus said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Was it that hard to figure out that I agreed with that part being wrong?  Guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

I think people take objection to any part of his statement being right. 

Here's a document made by Nintendo a while ago: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf if you check on page 8 you'll see a graph about Switch use. Now here's Pachter's statement:

"But I don’t think most people play it in both modes (1), I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes (2); and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only (3). So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."

1) False, according to Nintendo over 50% of people play it about equally in docked and handheld mode
2) Very false, it's over 50%
3) False, it's about 30% who play it primarily as a handheld

And that's not even factoring that to be placed in the only docked or only handheld category the threshold was 80% of the time in that mode which means even people in those categories sometimes use the other mode.

This is why people hate this guy so much.  Publicly available information that he should know.  It is his job to know.  And instead, he just makes up complete BS.  He is either completely incompetent, or he is purposely trying to distort the market/push a narrative.

He had the gall to say "And Nintendo isn’t that smart...", while at the same time being completely wrong on the actual facts of Switch usage trends.

Last edited by theRepublic - on 24 March 2021

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Here's a document made by Nintendo a while ago: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf if you check on page 8 you'll see a graph about Switch use. Now here's Pachter's statement:

"But I don’t think most people play it in both modes (1), I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes (2); and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only (3). So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."

1) False, according to Nintendo over 50% of people play it about equally in docked and handheld mode

And that's not even factoring that to be placed in the only docked or only handheld category the threshold was 80% of the time in that mode which means even people in those categories sometimes use the other mode.

This is why people hate this guy so much.  Publicly available information that he should know.  It is his job to know.  And instead, he just makes up complete BS.  He is either completely incompetent, or he is purposely trying to distort the market/push a narrative.

He had the gall to say "And Nintendo isn’t that smart...", while at the same time being completely wrong on the actual facts of Switch usage trends.

After what he did with the Wii and how he underestimated the console over and over again and instead said that Nintendo would be done without a HD Wii (which we kinda got, the Wii U, and it was a failure, so thanks for your advice  Pachter!), he'd better shut his mouth.

I feel like it's 2008 again in the Wii era every time this dumbass says anything.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:

I find it reassuring to know someone like Pachter can still keep a job, it makes me feel more secure in my own employment, not to mention my own intelligence and competence.

And frankly, I find this take absolutely hilarious, and in these times, couldn't we all use a laugh. I mean seriously, this is probably the dumbest video game opinion I have heard in years. I'm used to shit takes by analysts in this industry but I struggle to think of one sillier than this.

He makes a shit ton of money being " the video game analyst" I happened upon one of his videos and you would not believe the amount of stuff he was pushing that were either sites connected to him, or organizations that he promoted, also he is or was right near the top of Wedbush he doesn't care his ego keeps him believing he's the smartest man in the room,  thank god we have Daniel Ahmed.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Okay. I originally just thought that Pachter was a really bad analyst, but now I'm convinced that he's saying things for the publicity more than anything.

TruckOSaurus said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Was it that hard to figure out that I agreed with that part being wrong?  Guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

Besides the main factors that drove Nintendo to make a hybrid like the portable market going from one of growth to shrinking and the state of the WiiU mixed with positives like a hybrid approach consolidating their software output, another stat that was bandied about often enough that anyone with their ear to the ground concerning Nintendo should have known, and even if only partially true seen it in a positive light especially in regards to the Switch's docked mode, and that was Western gamers playtime on Nintendo portables is around 80% home 20% away, so once again his shallow insight shows how his large ego allows him to make assertions at a glance without any underpinning evidence and then paint critic's as dumb trolls.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 25 March 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot