By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What threat does Gamepass pose for Sony in the long run?

I must highlight (by the way, why did everyone forget at all...) that GP is an streaming+download service. Sony's counterpart exclusively streams and that's a boomer for some when they don't have decent latency and their company is known for less than stellar server coverage (whereas MS reaps their greenbacks from Azure).

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
Runa216 said:

I did do the math, that's how I came to this conclusion. I believe it's like 2500 Xbox One games, 600 Xbox 360 games, and 39 Xbox games. The total came out to 3197 games backwards compatible on Xbox Series X, vs the PS5's reported "4000+", as has been cited by multiple sources. 

As for the bolded...yeah man, this is gonna feel good. in this house, neither of us have the PS4 pro, but we both have PS4s (My launch model and her slim model), so all the PS4 games we DO have will either be upgraded to utilize 4K or get an upgrade to a PS5 version. 

Here's the hilarious part where I remind everyone Sony had 6 different catalogs to pull from to MS's three. 

So where's that logic when I talk about Backwards compatibility, and say that PS4's library is bigger than the three libraries of the Xbox, 360, and One coming forward? One catalog vs three, and it won. Just accept that Sony wins some places, Microsoft wins others, and clearly the areas where PS excels are the places that gamers care about, as Sony has consistently done well and has done outstandingly this gen. That's not even an opinion, that's observable truth, and what I've been saying since the beginning. 

My point is, in relation to the thread at hand, is that Sony isn't worried about GamePass. They have nothing to fear. It's a good service that doesn't seem to impact their business model at all. They have an equivalent in PSNow and people don't care as much about it, so they focus their resources elsewhere - like on exclusives and actually giving us new hardware that isn't just the same as the old hardware. What Microsoft did this gen didn't work for them. It may have been profitable, but it's not as good as what Sony's doing. The 48 million vs 113 millon consoles sold should speak volumes to that fact. And again, to repeat, Microsoft wins in some areas and Sony wins in others, and the fact that PS4 sold so much more than Xbox both in hardware and software shows that the areas that Sony won are clearly of higher value to customers. That's business. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

AsGryffynn said:
I must highlight (by the way, why did everyone forget at all...) that GP is an streaming+download service. Sony's counterpart exclusively streams and that's a boomer for some when they don't have decent latency and their company is known for less than stellar server coverage (whereas MS reaps their greenbacks from Azure).

False. 300 games are available for download on PSNow. The selection is arguably weaker than Gamepass's 200 or so titles, but your statement is false. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Little threat - MSFT won't stop selling the games from Bethesda on playstation. Only thing i can see if MSFT saying the games are available but ONLY through gamepass....so in other words trying to use games to force gamepass not the playstation. Unlikely though as you could see Sony retaliating by ending cross play which keeps the servers going for MSFT with their smaller user base. In the end MSFT will offer games on gamepass and sell them full price on Playstation.

Jumpinbeans said:
Little threat - MSFT won't stop selling the games from Bethesda on playstation. Only thing i can see if MSFT saying the games are available but ONLY through gamepass....so in other words trying to use games to force gamepass not the playstation. Unlikely though as you could see Sony retaliating by ending cross play which keeps the servers going for MSFT with their smaller user base. In the end MSFT will offer games on gamepass and sell them full price on Playstation.

Yes, they will

Around the Network
Jumpinbeans said:

Of course they will. Why would they buy Bethesda if in the end they just wanted a Game Pass deal? That's delusion.

I wouldn't say Game Pass is a threat to Sony per se, but the Game Pass model will be the default way people will consume games in the future. Most consumers buy a game, finish it (or not) and just move on forever, they don't care about having game cases around. It's how we consume music, movies and books nowadays, we check Netflix, watch half a movie and move on. So in that sense, models like Game Pass are inevitable and Sony knows it. The only thing we don't know yet is how it's going to be sustainable to publishers, but they already have other means to monetize, like MTX and those are going to be mandatory to big projects.

So if we think as collectors, yes, we care about owning games, but most people don't collect, they just consume. The old business model is faded to die.

d21lewis said:

I'm 44 years old.

I remember when you either had to rent a movie and dub it or you had to buy the movie on VHS for an insanely high price--often north of $80! Then movies reached a point where they were affordable and everybody had these huge collections. VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-rays. Right now, gaming is at the beginning of the "Blu-Ray era". Continuing the movie analogy, at about that time, the idea of streaming movies had begun to catch on. People still collected but a lot of us, myself included, were more than happy just to download or stream. Yeah, there's movie I still want to own or see in theaters but I'm typically more than happy just streaming what's available or downloading what I can. I do still buy a lot of digital games but nowhere near what I was doing when I wanted to build a collection.

Game Pass is Netflix. There's a great selection so most of the time there's no reason to go outside of what they offer. I went from buying hundreds of dollars worth of new games a month to just buying maybe five or ten games all year--and most of those were on the Switch! I was a whale and my console of choice was Xbox.

Sony is going to have to match them. They already have their own service and it's getting better and better but they need to become the leader in this area or risk being "Blockbuster Streaming service" to Microsoft's "Netflix". Like it or not, subscription services are the future. Digital games are going to replace physical. Convenience is going to win out and, from personal experience, Microsoft is ahead of the curve.

I'm 46 and thanks to streaming I'm watching TV and movies less than ever. I used to collect a lot of movies, used to spend over 2,000 dollars a year on blu-rays. Then Netflix and other digital services came around while movie quality kept going down (not sure if those are related) So I started watching stuff on Netflix I might have normally taken a chance on to purchase. The crappier image and sound quality made me enjoy it less, getting less interested in watching movies as a result.

Then TV started eroding. Quality shows disappear behind an extra paywall or exclusive streaming service. I 'compensated' by buying them on blu-ray yet now that ship is going down as well. Still waiting for The Expanse S4 to arrive on blu-ray, if ever. Disney took their content from Netflix and frankly while Netflix has a few decent series, most are pretty substandard. Netflix keeps bombarding me with things that match my viewing habits yet I find I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel while I watch for less than an hour a day.

So I spend more time gaming instead of watching movies or TV. Can't wait for streaming to ruin that as well...

SvennoJ said:
d21lewis said:

I'm 44 years old.

I remember when you either had to rent a movie and dub it or you had to buy the movie on VHS for an insanely high price--often north of $80! Then movies reached a point where they were affordable and everybody had these huge collections. VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-rays. Right now, gaming is at the beginning of the "Blu-Ray era". Continuing the movie analogy, at about that time, the idea of streaming movies had begun to catch on. People still collected but a lot of us, myself included, were more than happy just to download or stream. Yeah, there's movie I still want to own or see in theaters but I'm typically more than happy just streaming what's available or downloading what I can. I do still buy a lot of digital games but nowhere near what I was doing when I wanted to build a collection.

Game Pass is Netflix. There's a great selection so most of the time there's no reason to go outside of what they offer. I went from buying hundreds of dollars worth of new games a month to just buying maybe five or ten games all year--and most of those were on the Switch! I was a whale and my console of choice was Xbox.

Sony is going to have to match them. They already have their own service and it's getting better and better but they need to become the leader in this area or risk being "Blockbuster Streaming service" to Microsoft's "Netflix". Like it or not, subscription services are the future. Digital games are going to replace physical. Convenience is going to win out and, from personal experience, Microsoft is ahead of the curve.

I'm 46 and thanks to streaming I'm watching TV and movies less than ever. I used to collect a lot of movies, used to spend over 2,000 dollars a year on blu-rays. Then Netflix and other digital services came around while movie quality kept going down (not sure if those are related) So I started watching stuff on Netflix I might have normally taken a chance on to purchase. The crappier image and sound quality made me enjoy it less, getting less interested in watching movies as a result.

Then TV started eroding. Quality shows disappear behind an extra paywall or exclusive streaming service. I 'compensated' by buying them on blu-ray yet now that ship is going down as well. Still waiting for The Expanse S4 to arrive on blu-ray, if ever. Disney took their content from Netflix and frankly while Netflix has a few decent series, most are pretty substandard. Netflix keeps bombarding me with things that match my viewing habits yet I find I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel while I watch for less than an hour a day.

So I spend more time gaming instead of watching movies or TV. Can't wait for streaming to ruin that as well...

Well, damn. Come here, buddy.

*hugs Svennoj*

Ms first party games on  gamepass never leaves gamepass. The smaller indies or some third party games do leave gamepass. However u are given minimum 6 months to finish the game before it leaves gamepass. When it does, I are given option to own it at a discounted price.  There has been amazing games added to the list like rdr 2, now doom eternal and soon to be many Bethesda owned games. I got to experience outerworlds thanks to gamepass as that was an amazing rpg game. 

Runa216 said:

JWeinCom said:

Well, look at the games lists. I think they speak for themselves.

Whether or not Sony's in real danger, they seem to be reacting to it. I believe that PSNow added the ability to download games fairly recently (about 2 years ago) once Gamepass started taking off. They've been adding more recent and high profile releases such as RE:7, FFXV, and SFV than they had in the past (although this still lags compared to Gamepass). And I also think PS Plus Collection was at least partially developed to counteract the value proposition of Gamepass for early adopters. 

As for saying Gamepass is the same thing as having an always on DRM requirement for the games already purchased... Are there really no differences in those situations? I feel like if you tried to play devil's advocate, you could come up with some...

Oh, there are differences between DRM and Gamepass/Now. no doubt. However, it's just another step towards taking control away from the consumer. Game companies have been trying to limit how much control people have for ages. they fought likened used games to piracy and fought it until people resisted, they tried to implement DRM in many ways and people resisted, Microsoft tried to make the Xbox One Always Online from the get-go and people resisted. now they're following in the path of Netflix and once again trying to control what people can play and how they can play it. It's not the same, but it's another way to get to the same point. 

Long story short, forcing us into monthly subscriptions and curating what is on there controls us, at least a bit. It's not inherently bad on its own - Netflix and other video streaming services are great - but for an interactive medium it does encourage playing now, playing often, and not waiting just in case something goes down. It forces you to be online. It's a good deal, for sure (Both Now and Gamepass, in their own ways), but it's just a far easier to digest version of Always Online DRM in a manner of speaking. 

I play games at my own pace. It's why I don't even borrow and never used to rent. It's also why I don't play Games as a Service games, games with recurrent spending, or many online games. IT's also why I love Sony's offerings: Almost all of their games are singleplayer offline games.

Clearly these online games and these service models have an audience - they keep making money - but there will always be plenty of people who want games that aren't on the clock. I'm one of them, and I'm not the only one. 

d21lewis said:
SvennoJ said:

Well, damn. Come here, buddy.

*hugs Svennoj*

Haha thanks.

Not all streaming is bad, FS 2020 makes very good use of streaming data. I do wonder whether game pass had a positive or negative effect on FS2020. The game had a rather rocky launch with still many problems, not the least switching from game pass to the Steam edition. I bought the game up front and I'm sticking with it. However how many people tried it on game pass, ran into some problems and simply moved on.

Did MS pressure Asobo to release early to have something out and get them started on the XBox version, or did they run out of money. It's clearly still in the beta test phase, very playable already (depending on how you play and which plane you use), yet with countless issues, many which should never have made it to release.

I hope the too early release doesn't hurt it in the long run. The sim fans will stick with it regardless, yet without money from more casual players, what's going to keep providing the cash to finish the game? I guess all the overpriced DLC :/

Eh whatever, yesterday I found the perfect spot for the black gate of Mordor, next to Amguid, Algeria