By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What threat does Gamepass pose for Sony in the long run?

Runa216 said:
Shiken said:

It will lead to one of two things.  It won't happen overnight, but one of these WILL have to happen eventually.  Either Sony will have to improve PS now to he as good as gamepass (long way to go, but it can be done), or watch as MS continues to draw more and more consumer support as the digital age continues to develop. The value of gamepass is just too strong for people to prefer paying 70 bucks for each individual game.

And given Sony's current stance on BC and the Gamepass model...

uuuuuh, PS5 has more backwards compatible games (4000+) Vs at most Xbox's 3197, and while Microsoft is investing MORE in GamePass, you can't pretend Sony doesn't also have something similar with PSNow (and with the PS+ Collection being a part of PS+). They're not the same, as we've established, but they're similar enough that you can't really pretend Sony isn't trying or that Microsoft is pulling way ahead or something. 

I haven't done the math and it's very possible Sony still has more games that Xbox ready for PS5 bc just based on PS4, alone. I think he may me talking about legacy--playing some of the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games you already own on your Xbox SX (or, *snicker* Xbox SS). 

Either way, we're gonna have more games than we could ever hope to play on day one no matter which console/subscription we prefer.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Shiken said:

It will lead to one of two things.  It won't happen overnight, but one of these WILL have to happen eventually.  Either Sony will have to improve PS now to he as good as gamepass (long way to go, but it can be done), or watch as MS continues to draw more and more consumer support as the digital age continues to develop. The value of gamepass is just too strong for people to prefer paying 70 bucks for each individual game.

uuuuuh, PS5 has more backwards compatible games (4000+) Vs at most Xbox's 3197, and while Microsoft is investing MORE in GamePass, you can't pretend Sony doesn't also have something similar with PSNow (and with the PS+ Collection being a part of PS+). They're not the same, as we've established, but they're similar enough that you can't really pretend Sony isn't trying or that Microsoft is pulling way ahead or something. 

With BC it’s arguable having more gens BC is stronger then more games within the same gen they share BC.

But Sony technically isn’t trying with Ps Now and GP is in fact pulling ahead. 2 million after 6 years to GP 15 million after 3 years. And it’s not about most titles, it’s about more new/recent titles. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Runa216 said:
Shiken said:

One of these services has...what...2+ million subs(?) while the other has over 15 million. PSNow is entirely irrelevant compared to Gamepass, and that's despite being around for longer, and by virtue of PS4 being the dominant console platform this gen, having had a lot more potential access points in people's homes (something which is going to be changing now that XCloud is getting up and running). And MS accomplished this, as the ardent PS fans love to remind people, without even having a large library of consistent first party output to support the service in a way that would be optimal for sustained growth. That too is going to change this gen, with all the investments MS has made over the last several years.

So...if you wouldn't call that pulling way ahead, I'm not sure what you'd call it.

d21lewis said:
Runa216 said:

I haven't done the math and it's very possible Sony still has more games that Xbox ready for PS5 bc just based on PS4, alone. I think he may me talking about legacy--playing some of the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games you already own on your Xbox SX (or, *snicker* Xbox SS). 

Either way, we're gonna have more games than we could ever hope to play on day one no matter which console/subscription we prefer.

I did do the math, that's how I came to this conclusion. I believe it's like 2500 Xbox One games, 600 Xbox 360 games, and 39 Xbox games. The total came out to 3197 games backwards compatible on Xbox Series X, vs the PS5's reported "4000+", as has been cited by multiple sources. 

As for the bolded...yeah man, this is gonna feel good. in this house, neither of us have the PS4 pro, but we both have PS4s (My launch model and her slim model), so all the PS4 games we DO have will either be upgraded to utilize 4K or get an upgrade to a PS5 version. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

With BC it’s arguable having more gens BC is stronger then more games within the same gen they share BC.

But Sony technically isn’t trying with Ps Now and GP is in fact pulling ahead. 2 million after 6 years to GP 15 million after 3 years. And it’s not about most titles, it’s about more new/recent titles. 

With them going back farther, you could argue that the older the game is, the less value it has to the market and consumer base. You can chose to look at it however you want, so of course you're gonna go with the version that makes Xbox look better. 

Angelus said:
Runa216 said:

One of these services has...what...2+ million subs(?) while the other has over 15 million. PSNow is entirely irrelevant compared to Gamepass, and that's despite being around for longer, and by virtue of PS4 being the dominant console platform this gen, having had a lot more potential access points in people's homes (something which is going to be changing now that XCloud is getting up and running). And MS accomplished this, as the ardent PS fans love to remind people, without even having a large library of consistent first party output to support the service in a way that would be optimal for sustained growth. That too is going to change this gen, with all the investments MS has made over the last several years.

So...if you wouldn't call that pulling way ahead, I'm not sure what you'd call it.

The difference is almost certainly in marketing. With Xbox it's everything because it's all they have. They push it at every new game reveal, every event, every commercial. I keep forgetting PSNow even exists half the time because Sony doesn't focus on it. Sure, I will concede that Gamepass is the more popular of the two services, but it's still a clear case of 'if it mattered as much as you say, PS4 wouldn't be outselling Xbox like 4:1 every week'. Gamepass is good. IT's better than PSNow by most metrics, this is clear. but to dismiss my stance of them being similar and Xbox not pulling ahead despite their better service? Naw, don't try to pull that narrative because Xbox is doing better in one category out of like 12.

I've never said GamePass is bad, but PS has a similar function, but people on PS don't bother with it because they have too many exclusive titles to play that aren't on it. Clearly this business model is working if PS4 is still doing so well. Gamepass might actually be hurting Xbox in the long run, as it gives people less incentive to buy games. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

With them going back farther, you could argue that the older the game is, the less value it has to the market and consumer base. You can chose to look at it however you want, so of course you're gonna go with the version that makes Xbox look better. 

Angelus said:

The difference is almost certainly in marketing. With Xbox it's everything because it's all they have. They push it at every new game reveal, every event, every commercial. I keep forgetting PSNow even exists half the time because Sony doesn't focus on it. Sure, I will concede that Gamepass is the more popular of the two services, but it's still a clear case of 'if it mattered as much as you say, PS4 wouldn't be outselling Xbox like 4:1 every week'. Gamepass is good. IT's better than PSNow by most metrics, this is clear. but to dismiss my stance of them being similar and Xbox not pulling ahead despite their better service? Naw, don't try to pull that narrative because Xbox is doing better in one category out of like 12.

I've never said GamePass is bad, but PS has a similar function, but people on PS don't bother with it because they have too many exclusive titles to play that aren't on it. Clearly this business model is working if PS4 is still doing so well. Gamepass might actually be hurting Xbox in the long run, as it gives people less incentive to buy games. 

Seeing as PS4 got the lions share of marketshare, it got a lot more filler and shovelware to make up for that 1000 games gap of BC within the same gen. Where as plenty gems from the PS3/360 era are only BC on Xbox.  Sure we are both parroting the strengths of our respective console makers, but going 2 gens further back certainly means something

At least by omission of reply you acknowledge just how GP has been pulling away from PS Now, keeping in mind years of release for each as well as console install base. 

Bold: Thats what Steam is for. There’s your short term revenue, in combination with Xbox gamers still buying outright. Remember, it’s an ecosystem not just one console doing everything by itself. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Angelus said:

I can turn this same logic right around on you. If PSNow is as close to Gamepass in terms of the service it offers as you say....it wouldn't be getting outdone 7:1....despite there being twice as many PS consoles out there in people's homes. 

Runa216 said:
d21lewis said:

I did do the math, that's how I came to this conclusion. I believe it's like 2500 Xbox One games, 600 Xbox 360 games, and 39 Xbox games. The total came out to 3197 games backwards compatible on Xbox Series X, vs the PS5's reported "4000+", as has been cited by multiple sources. 

As for the bolded...yeah man, this is gonna feel good. in this house, neither of us have the PS4 pro, but we both have PS4s (My launch model and her slim model), so all the PS4 games we DO have will either be upgraded to utilize 4K or get an upgrade to a PS5 version. 

Here's the hilarious part where I remind everyone Sony had 6 different catalogs to pull from to MS's three. 

Angelus said:
Runa216 said:

It's almost entirely irrelevant to Sony as well. One company is focusing their entire resources in one area. For the other it's a complete afterthought.

Sony has 45 million paying PS Plus subscribers. 2 million PS Now members is small fries to this. That's the paying userbase Sony want to retain for the moment.

If they want to go digital with a full subscription service down the line they will entice these owners to change package, put their flagship first party releases on the service and transition completely. Maintaining a large userbase of paying subs while also making money from their big first party releases- maximises their profits though. They will likely continue with this strategy for as long as they can.

Moving now and pushing PS Now (fully) would see them flushing billions away.

Xcloud solution for IOS is a web browser solution that can by-pass the apps. This might also work on the PS5 browser. 

I don't think you will ever see Gamepass on sony's consoles it will be the Xcloud working on Sony consoles.