By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Burning Typhoon said:

The console looks nice.  Personally, I didn't like the PS4's look at all.  I can't justify getting a console before upgrading my PC, though.  Hopefully we'll have a nice set of exclusives in a year or two.

hinch said:
Damn thats one beefy heatsink and big fan. Also the liquid metal TIM is there as rumored.

Cool stuff.

Even under full load.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Good joke, and I hope you can buy your PS5 by the time games you want to play on it arrive, until there have a blast with your upgraded PC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Burning Typhoon said:

The console looks nice.  Personally, I didn't like the PS4's look at all.  I can't justify getting a console before upgrading my PC, though.  Hopefully we'll have a nice set of exclusives in a year or two.

Even under full load.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Good joke, and I hope you can buy your PS5 by the time games you want to play on it arrive, until there have a blast with your upgraded PC.

I don't know.  To be honest, I feel almost obligated to get one at some point, as I do own every PlayStation console.  However, PS4 just disappointed me so much.  The PS3 was my favorite console, ever.  My biggest issue with the PS4 is getting all those re-releases. GTAV, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and others.  It just didn't lend itself to feeling like a real successor to me.

I have no idea how I ended up with so many games in my collection that I already owned on PS3.  Then, Street Fighter V was a disappointment

I feel like the PS5 will be better this time around.  Having backwards compatibility will mean not seeing so many of the same games...  I say this as GTAV comes to mind...  Actually, on second thought, I'll bury the optimism.

Burning Typhoon said:

I don't know.  To be honest, I feel almost obligated to get one at some point, as I do own every PlayStation console.  However, PS4 just disappointed me so much.  The PS3 was my favorite console, ever.  My biggest issue with the PS4 is getting all those re-releases. GTAV, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and others.  It just didn't lend itself to feeling like a real successor to me.

I have no idea how I ended up with so many games in my collection that I already owned on PS3.  Then, Street Fighter V was a disappointment

I feel like the PS5 will be better this time around.  Having backwards compatibility will mean not seeing so many of the same games...  I say this as GTAV comes to mind...  Actually, on second thought, I'll bury the optimism.

I have a large physical collection in PS3 games.  At launch of the PS3 I purchased the fat PS3 that had the backwards compatibility with PS1 & PS2 games.  I didn't have a PS1 library at the time and didn't accumulate one.  I did start buying up PS2 games though and enjoyed that I could play both PS2 & PS3 games on it.  I eventually suffered the yellow light of death.  I did use it quite a bit.  It was my main Blu-ray player for movies and I feel like the PS4 Blu-ray player was a downgrade. 

When I went to replace this item I found out that later SKU's were only able to play PS3 games and were no longer built for backwards compatibility.  I ended up buying a PS3 slim and as PS2 slim silver to replace it.  The PS2 slim is still wrapped up in it's original packaging and is now worth a shitload more than the $120 I paid for it.  What sucks though is that the hardware is continuing to age.  The electrolytic material contained within the capacitors will dry out whether it's being used or not.  I would have loved backwards compatibility to at least the PS3 games.  

Now I do have quite the backlog on my PS4 and where it has always given me guilt when I stare at the shrink wrap still on most of them, I'm now thankful for it.  I now get to experience my backlog in a higher resolution and frame rate.  Same with the competition's backlog.  As a physical collector the backwards compatibility was a major selling point.  And sometime down the road all old hardware will eventually fail to work.  A complete backward compatibility console would be a device that would, and will continue to interest me.  PS3 had some of the best RPG's and PS2's RPG's to this day are unrivaled. Give me PS4 games optimized to take advantage of PS5's hardware, or at least mine that remain unplayed.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Burning Typhoon said:

The PS3 was my favorite console, ever.  My biggest issue with the PS4 is getting all those re-releases. GTAV, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and others.  It just didn't lend itself to feeling like a real successor to me.

The same could be said about your favorite console ever:

Sly 1 - 3 HD, Jak 1 - 3 HD, Ratchet & Clank 1 - 3 HD, God of War 1 + 2 HD, MGS 2 + 3 + Peacewalker HD, Devil May Cry 1 - 3 HD, Hitman 1 - 3 HD, ICO HD, Shadow of the Colossus HD, Zone of the Enders 1 + 2 HD, Silent Hill 2 + 3 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5, Prince of Persia SoT Trilogy HD, Wipeout HD Fury, Splinter Cell 1 - 3 HD, SingStar HD, Lemmings HD, Beyond Good & Evil HD, Okami HD, Resident Evil 0 + 1 + 4 + Veronica HD,  Rayman 3 HD, Killzone HD, Oddworld games HD,...

https://youtu.be/9igB4kk67hE

DF with their thoughts on the teardown. Impressed with the cooling and dust management. Reaffirm their presumption that the PS5 costs less to manufacture despite its larger size. Some interesting speculation in the comments too about the possibilities that Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 could provide for things like PSVR2.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

Some interesting speculation in the comments too about the possibilities that Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 could provide for things like PSVR2.

Theoretical max. Wifi 6 bandwidth is 9.6 Gb/s, in reality probably even less (especially if other Wifi devices are in the same room). Could work for wireless VR, but wouldn't leave much room for a resolution bump for PSVR2.

Other wireless adapters for VR (DisplayLink, Vive) already have a max. bandwidth of 24 Gb/s:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-wireless-adapter,5857.html

Conina said:
TallSilhouette said:

Some interesting speculation in the comments too about the possibilities that Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 could provide for things like PSVR2.

Theoretical max. Wifi 6 bandwidth is 9.6 Gb/s, in reality probably even less (especially if other Wifi devices are in the same room). Could work for wireless VR, but wouldn't leave much room for a resolution bump for PSVR2.

Other wireless adapters for VR (DisplayLink, Vive) already have a max. bandwidth of 24 Gb/s:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-wireless-adapter,5857.html

If the io throughput speeds is 9 gb/s, how does the bandwidth being roughtly the same affect things?

Conina said:
Burning Typhoon said:

The PS3 was my favorite console, ever.  My biggest issue with the PS4 is getting all those re-releases. GTAV, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and others.  It just didn't lend itself to feeling like a real successor to me.

The same could be said about your favorite console ever:

Sly 1 - 3 HD, Jak 1 - 3 HD, Ratchet & Clank 1 - 3 HD, God of War 1 + 2 HD, MGS 2 + 3 + Peacewalker HD, Devil May Cry 1 - 3 HD, Hitman 1 - 3 HD, ICO HD, Shadow of the Colossus HD, Zone of the Enders 1 + 2 HD, Silent Hill 2 + 3 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5, Prince of Persia SoT Trilogy HD, Wipeout HD Fury, Splinter Cell 1 - 3 HD, SingStar HD, Lemmings HD, Beyond Good & Evil HD, Okami HD, Resident Evil 0 + 1 + 4 + Veronica HD,  Rayman 3 HD, Killzone HD, Oddworld games HD,...

I'll just say that the PS4 had an issue of not having any killer apps that weren't already on PS3, early on.  When The Last of Us is a pack-in with the console, it isn't a good look.  You're naming off games, but I was naming off stuff in my actual collection, and I didn't name everything at that.  Zone of the Enders 2 is on PS4, and in my collection.  I didn't name it because it felt like a game that had a place on PS4.  Not even the PS3 version was just a simple port, the game was sharper, and ran at 60fps.  Then the Jak collection is also on PS4, Which I also didn't name, because I don't own it on that platform and it's even worse than the PS3 version.

I don't think everything in that list of yours even counts.  Like, why is Wipeout HD Fury in there?  Because a few tracks got brought over from the PSP game?  I mean, if reusing a few minor assets is all it takes, why isn't Tekken 6 on your list too?  Most of the game's animations are recycled from Tekken 5 anyway.  And Resident Evil 0 & 1's a substantial increase over the originals, too.  But, some stuff like the Jak collection, shouldn't have been on PS3.

ArchangelMadzz said:
As someone who literally just tore down their PS4, like a full 100% teardown cleaned the dust and replaced the thermal paste with MX4.

I can't put into words how big of a step up in literally every department the construction of this thing is. Huge.

No more tiny blower fan.
No more tiny heatsink.
No bare, loud disk drive.
My PS4's paste was basically all gone, LIQUID METAL is crazy.

10/10 guys. really.

One thing that really pissed me off about the PS4 is how it overheated on me and died 3 separate times. Initially, I thought it was just because my roommate stored it in an area with poor ventilation. But he proved that wasn't the case. Not being able to do such a simple task as replace the thermal paste on my PS4 really killed it for me. The PS5 build looks like it's a little easier to take apart and put back together.

Anyway, how exactly did you manage to replace the thermal paste? I recently attempted a teardown of my brother's PS4 Slim, and found I would have needed to grind some bolts away just to get at the motherboard. It's at that point that I gave up.

iron_megalith said:

That thing is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY.

What surprised me more is their ballsy move of using Liquid Metal A lot of things can go wrong with the application.. Although they're not the first manufacturer to ship units with LM, but this is a very welcoming change. Now it makes more sense as to why people were saying the system was super quiet. Better TIM means and a capable cooling solution should mean it doesn't need to ramp up the fans too much.

Also that foam barrier is a page taken out of the laptop overclockers. I was planning to do this on an Alienware 17 R5 2 years ago but it was difficult to find a good foam to use since you can't have it too porous otherwise the potential LM beads will slip through and short your board. You also can't have it to stiff otherwise it will push up the IHS and shit mounting pressure will screw your setup.

Now if they use a good quality Nickel plated IHS and the procedures of application is very good, this thing will last the console's lifetime. If Sony succeeds, here's hoping more manufacturers make this a standard and portal devices like gaming phones and the Nintento Switch follow suit. The latter is a pipe dream since portable devices have inconsistent mounting pressures and gets jostled around too much which could cause failure.

Wait, are you saying that the PS5 has some sort of liquid beads that can potentially slip through foam and brick it? That sounds like a nightmare for longevity. All I want is a gaming system that is reliable, and that I can fix myself. That's why I'm going PC this upcoming gen.

Cerebralbore101 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
As someone who literally just tore down their PS4, like a full 100% teardown cleaned the dust and replaced the thermal paste with MX4.

I can't put into words how big of a step up in literally every department the construction of this thing is. Huge.

No more tiny blower fan.
No more tiny heatsink.
No bare, loud disk drive.
My PS4's paste was basically all gone, LIQUID METAL is crazy.

10/10 guys. really.

One thing that really pissed me off about the PS4 is how it overheated on me and died 3 separate times. Initially, I thought it was just because my roommate stored it in an area with poor ventilation. But he proved that wasn't the case. Not being able to do such a simple task as replace the thermal paste on my PS4 really killed it for me. The PS5 build looks like it's a little easier to take apart and put back together.

Anyway, how exactly did you manage to replace the thermal paste? I recently attempted a teardown of my brother's PS4 Slim, and found I would have needed to grind some bolts away just to get at the motherboard. It's at that point that I gave up.

iron_megalith said:

That thing is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY.

What surprised me more is their ballsy move of using Liquid Metal A lot of things can go wrong with the application.. Although they're not the first manufacturer to ship units with LM, but this is a very welcoming change. Now it makes more sense as to why people were saying the system was super quiet. Better TIM means and a capable cooling solution should mean it doesn't need to ramp up the fans too much.

Also that foam barrier is a page taken out of the laptop overclockers. I was planning to do this on an Alienware 17 R5 2 years ago but it was difficult to find a good foam to use since you can't have it too porous otherwise the potential LM beads will slip through and short your board. You also can't have it to stiff otherwise it will push up the IHS and shit mounting pressure will screw your setup.

Now if they use a good quality Nickel plated IHS and the procedures of application is very good, this thing will last the console's lifetime. If Sony succeeds, here's hoping more manufacturers make this a standard and portal devices like gaming phones and the Nintento Switch follow suit. The latter is a pipe dream since portable devices have inconsistent mounting pressures and gets jostled around too much which could cause failure.

Wait, are you saying that the PS5 has some sort of liquid beads that can potentially slip through foam and brick it? That sounds like a nightmare for longevity. All I want is a gaming system that is reliable, and that I can fix myself. That's why I'm going PC this upcoming gen.

From what I know it is possible to reapply the thermal paste on PS4, and PS5 cooling solution is already in use on PC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."