By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

wrong thread lol nvm

Around the Network

So how come the USB-C port is only 10 Gbps? I was expecting it to hit the USB 3.2 20Gbps or was I completely wrong in expecting that in the first place? I thought grabbing a 2TB or more m.2 drive to run externally though it with 2500MB/s speeds would of been a great option to store all the PS4 games on as a good cost to performance ratio.

WoodenPints said:
So how come the USB-C port is only 10 Gbps? I was expecting it to hit the USB 3.2 20Gbps or was I completely wrong in expecting that in the first place? I thought grabbing a 2TB or more m.2 drive to run externally though it with 2500MB/s speeds would of been a great option to store all the PS4 games on as a good cost to performance ratio.

probably a combination of licensing fees, USB interface costs, power supply needs and 3.2 ext drives/cases not being all that widely used yet made Sony decide it wasn't worth it (yet?) - btw the 2 USB-A ports in the back are also 10Gbps

the XSX only seems to have 5Gbps USB ports and per DFs internal vs external comparison the difference between loading X1 games from internal (2.5GB/s) and an ext SATA (500MB/s) is pretty miniscule as the games haven't been coded to make full use of the speed, unlike native XSX/PS5 games

Last edited by Lafiel - on 10 October 2020

Lafiel said:
WoodenPints said:

probably a combination of licensing fees, USB interface costs, power supply needs and 3.2 ext drives/cases not being all that widely used yet made Sony decide it wasn't worth it (yet?) - btw the 2 USB-A ports in the back are also 10Gbps

the XSX only seems to have 5Gbps USB ports and per DFs internal vs external comparison the difference between loading X1 games from internal (2.5GB/s) and an ext SATA (500MB/s) is pretty miniscule as the games haven't been coded to make full use of the speed, unlike native XSX/PS5 games

Wow I overestimated both the Series X and PS5's USB speeds I thought the USB-C on the PS5 would be 20Gbps and that all 3 of the Series X ports were just 10Gbps. 5Gbps covers the standard SSD speeds of the Series X and hopefully we will get some info on the same tests done on the PS5 soon to see if the 10Gbps speeds make much different on BC games on there.

It's going to be interesting to see what the next gen consoles do for SSD prices as NVME drives at 1500-2000MB/s aren't much more than the 500MB/s SATA SSD's.

Lafiel said:
WoodenPints said:

That was a very deep dive. Yet they say they got more to share later.

But key point to expand on what you said. The CPU is still doing the majority of the grunt work. So faster ssd's aint helping much.

At least when back compat games are concern gamers should not worrie about fast drives. Any speed will do so focus on good price and high capacity. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the next gen consoles do for SSD prices as NVME drives at 1500-2000MB/s aren't much more than the 500MB/s SATA SSD's.

Yea, I noticed that aswell and I think I'll pick up an ext M.2 case, so that I can use it in the future for different NVMe drives. But I think the main advantage of those over SATA probably will be transfer speed when used as cold storage for PS5 games.

Lafiel said:
WoodenPints said:

Yea, I noticed that aswell and I think I'll pick up an ext M.2 case, so that I can use it in the future for different NVMe drives. But I think the main advantage of those over SATA probably will be transfer speed when used as cold storage for PS5 games.

Yeah that is my thoughts leave the internal expansion to a 1-2TB for native PS5 games only and then a 1250+ MB/s range M.2 drive externally to store BC games on and overflow for PS5 transferring if required. I was pricing this up around a couple of weeks ago and the low end M.2 drives that would max out the 10Gbps of the USB ports aren't much more expensive than a 500 MB/s SSD and with the adoption rate of NVME increasing it could even be cheaper in a years time.

WoodenPints said:
Lafiel said:

Yeah that is my thoughts leave the internal expansion to a 1-2TB for native PS5 games only and then a 1250+ MB/s range M.2 drive externally to store BC games on and overflow for PS5 transferring if required. I was pricing this up around a couple of weeks ago and the low end M.2 drives that would max out the 10Gbps of the USB ports aren't much more expensive than a 500 MB/s SSD and with the adoption rate of NVME increasing it could even be cheaper in a years time.

Faster connections than 10 Gbps wouldn't help much for external NVME-SSDs:

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-03/externe-ssds-usb-3.2-test/

F. e. an external SSD with Thunderbolt 3 has huge speed advantages in benchmarks:

But these benchmarks only show the first few seconds, only 1 GB or a few GB are copied for the benchmark.

If you copy/move bigger games (f. e. a 100 - 200 GB CoD game) or  several games at once, the difference will get insignificant.

Even the average transfer speed of a Samsung Portable X5 with Thunderbolt 3 falls to ~600 MB/s moving a 390 GB Steam library:

Part of the problem is the extreme throtteling of the SSD due to thermal problems in small external SSD cases.

The X5 went down from 2440 MB/s to 244 MB/s (one tenth!)  the moment it reached 55° C:

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/samsung-portable-ssd-x5-test/3/

Last edited by Conina - on 10 October 2020

WoodenPints said:
Lafiel said:

Wow I overestimated both the Series X and PS5's USB speeds I thought the USB-C on the PS5 would be 20Gbps and that all 3 of the Series X ports were just 10Gbps. 5Gbps covers the standard SSD speeds of the Series X and hopefully we will get some info on the same tests done on the PS5 soon to see if the 10Gbps speeds make much different on BC games on there.

Why would Sony put a 20Gbps USB connection when the speed of the internal SSD doesn't even get to 10Ghz even for compressed stuff? 10Ghz seems just fine.

Edit: Noticed it is 10 Gigabits/s so about 1/6 of max PS5 SSD compressed or 1/3 uncompressed. Well even if it was 20Gbps that would still not reach the needed speed to play directly from the external driver.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 10 October 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The console looks nice.  Personally, I didn't like the PS4's look at all.  I can't justify getting a console before upgrading my PC, though.  Hopefully we'll have a nice set of exclusives in a year or two.

hinch said:
Damn thats one beefy heatsink and big fan. Also the liquid metal TIM is there as rumored.

Cool stuff.

Even under full load.

Sorry, I couldn't resist