By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically well ahead of their time

Paperboy_J said:
Starfox. Looks like crap now but it was the first "3D" game I had ever played ever. At the time it felt like I was playing something from the future.

Star Fox was the first game to use a dedicated chip to draw poligons, I believe. Now we know those things as GPU's so yeah, ahead of it's time.

Around the Network

Probably The Last of Us. No wonder they released a remastered version on PS4 a year later. And then they patched it later for PS4 Pro support.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Probably The Last of Us. No wonder they released a remastered version on PS4 a year later. And then they patched it later for PS4 Pro support.

It's all opinions but I personally thought Uncharted 3 looked better...

CaptainExplosion said:
SvennoJ said:
Heart of darkness. I always thought that was a ps2 game, but it's psx.

Another world was mind blowing at the time.

The original prince of persia, the animations were so smooth.

Eric Chahi is a master of his craft. ^^

I never knew Another world and Heart of Darkness were made by the same guy! Awesome.

I see he also worked on From Dust, which was technically ahead of its time. Still is. And Paper Beast, which I bought for PSVR but haven't gotten around to playing yet. Now I'm more eager to try it out.

CaptainExplosion said:
Lukaz0r said:
Come to think of it quite a lot of Gamecube games were stunning, as mentioned above Rogue Squadron 2 and then 3 are stunners, Star Fox Adventures was beautiful, F Zero GX at 60 fps and Resident Evil 4.

Yeah, the GameCube didn't get enough of the credit it deserved for having games that looked that good. I still can't get over how nice the water effects in Super Mario Sunshine look.

Agreed, the Gamecube was a beast for its time, so much so that with just a RAM and clockspeed boost the same core hardware would go on to power the likes of Mario Galaxy.

You could get an awful lot out of its quirky TEV shader tech if you coded to its strengths.

d21lewis said:
Wman1996 said:

It's all opinions but I personally thought Uncharted 3 looked better...

Yeah, same. Don't get me wrong, TLOU looked crazy good for the hardware, but I was more impressed by UC3, it had bigger and more complex environments, more going at once, and a smoother framerate.

Around the Network

God of War 1/2 on the PS2 comes to mind. Those games absolutely blew my mind when they came out.

curl-6 said:

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast looked like pre-rendered CG when it came out.

Crysis remained ahead of anything on consoles for 6 years.

Rogue Squadron II was a Gamecube launch title yet remained one of the best looking games of its entire generation.

Gears of War was such a quantum leap in graphics it was hard to believe.

I found uncharted 1 to be better looking than crysis actually. The foilage and some environment work was ahead of it's time. 

Matrix on ps2 was supposed to be ahead of it's time, hence it wouldn't run properly. I'd say mgs2 pushed boundaries when it came out. The water effects, rain, smoke, lighting , sky , overall visual look was amazing. 

Last edited by KratosLives - on 06 October 2020

KratosLives said:
curl-6 said:

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast looked like pre-rendered CG when it came out.

Crysis remained ahead of anything on consoles for 6 years.

Rogue Squadron II was a Gamecube launch title yet remained one of the best looking games of its entire generation.

Gears of War was such a quantum leap in graphics it was hard to believe.

I found uncharted 1 to be better looking than crysis actually. The foilage and some environment work was ahead of it's time. 

Technically its not even close, Crysis easily surpassed Uncharted 1 in foliage, complexity, scale, and detail.

UC1 was the best looking game on console when it released, but Crysis wasn't held back by console hardware.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 October 2020

Donkey Kong Country, Doom 3, Metroid Prime 1, Crysis.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Wild Gunman - Interactive movies connected by tiny morsels of gameplay is a relic of 90's. But considering how this game came out in 1974, nearly a decade before Dragon's Lair, it deserves some credit for being forward thinking.

Love and tolerate.