By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically well ahead of their time

KingJames said:
God of War 1/2 on the PS2 comes to mind. Those games absolutely blew my mind when they came out.

Speaking of PS2 games... Shadow of the Colossus. I remember being blown away by the level of scale in that game which you rarely saw in those days, and it got me excited for the next generation. It's interesting how PS2 was the weakest in terms of power of its generation but it managed to do some incredible things.

Also Luigi's Mansion looked super good, especially for a GameCube launch title.

Last edited by aiwass - on 07 October 2020

*My signature from 2011 which I'm too lazy to change*

Currently awaiting the arrivals of:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Beyond the Labyrinth
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion 2

Around the Network

Commanche: Maximum Overkill (1992), first game to use voxels for terrain. I was big on air sims back in late 80s/early 90s, and seeing this for the first time...this could be called system seller, if there ever was one for PCs...at the time I still had Amiga, consoles were at SNES/Genesis stage and this was one of the games that showcased what the future is about.

Ultima Underword: The Stygian Abyss (1992) - another 1992 gem...not only fantastic RPG with its emergent gameplay, but one that introduced texure mapped 3D worlds (id Software saw what UU was capable of on convention and went on to write their own code for Catacombs 3D, precursor to Wolfenstein 3D).

curl-6 said:
KratosLives said:

I found uncharted 1 to be better looking than crysis actually. The foilage and some environment work was ahead of it's time. 

Technically its not even close, Crysis easily surpassed Uncharted 1 in foliage, complexity, scale, and detail.

UC1 was the best looking game on console when it released, but Crysis wasn't held back by console hardware.

I played both, and found uncharted had more varied environments and overall was more visually pleasing. I also liked the water more. Crysis may seem photo realistic, but a lot of the foilage seemed recycled and upclose the detail wasn't great, almost generic. Some aliasing and texture detail lacking. Also explosion effects were ok. Crysis also used motion blur and depth of field to hide a lot of trees and foilage in the back.  I feel like uncharted did a better job conveying that island feel. It felt more organic overall.Maybe it was more tropical island but foilage and stuff had that wet darker look, so me it felt more real looking. The greens had a pop to it and had different levels.  Also when you get to the caves or the chapel, shadows lighting and texture detail felt real. The game floored me more than crysis and was the best looking game till uncharted 2 then 3.

You must be talking about the PS360 version of Crysis.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:

No lol. I just looked at the pc version. it looks great, but something abourt the level design, placement of trees/ art work etc.. Just doesn't make it visually more pleasing playing through.

Around the Network

Metroid Prime Nailed it here, this was an choice. This game easily deserves top spot here.

Last edited by 2zosteven - on 07 October 2020

steve

KratosLives said:
m0ney said:

No lol. I just looked at the pc version. it looks great, but something abourt the level design, placement of trees/ art work etc.. Just doesn't make it visually more pleasing playing through.

So you haven't actually played it but you are saying that Uncharted 1 looks better? Jajajajjajjjaaja

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

QUAKECore89 said:
Many games i've seen were pushed hard to the limit up a heard of time in graphics term starting from NES era to early 7th gen era.

-Dead or Alive 3 and Ninja Gaiden (2004) looked realistic for an Original Xbox
-Star Fox Adventures and Conker's Live! & Reloaded had interesting environments and fur effects
-Sega Arcade games and PC games in between 1996 to 1998 were 6th gen ahead before the king of console market reveals PS2
-Mario is Missing & Mario's Time Machine NES version, i describe those games. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFCEQl47Bc

This cinematic always comes to mind, they were way ahead of their time, and the gameplay wasn't too far off from the cinematics. And I forgot about DOA, the fighting game AND the volleyball game, basically, everything from team Ninja in those OG Xbox days were ahead of its time.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

- LHX on Sega Genesis
- Donkey Kong Country series on the SNES
- Super Mario RPG
- Virtua Fighter at the arcade
- Shenmue on the Dreamcast
- Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2
- Metroid Prime on the Gamecube (still one of the best games of all time, in my book)
- Gears of War on XBox 360
- Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune on PS3
- Crysis on PC (obviously)

I’m forgetting many...

Half-Life 2 was arguably the first modern looking game and the source engine can still be used in 2020 (Black Mesa). I believe Crysis was the first AAA game to use normal mapping to simulate non-flat textures, arguably the first feature complete game engine.