By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically well ahead of their time

QUAKECore89 said:
Too_Talls said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFCEQl47Bc

This cinematic always comes to mind, they were way ahead of their time, and the gameplay wasn't too far off from the cinematics. And I forgot about DOA, the fighting game AND the volleyball game, basically, everything from team Ninja in those OG Xbox days were ahead of its time.

They did great job on that special game.

Indeed...........there was so much detail..............so much..........................textures >_>

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:
Not a popular choice but Doom 3 and its lighting for the time was incredible.

It's the stencil shadows that really made it stand out visually.

Unless you've got to play Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay first, which I was overally much more impressed with - not to mention it's much better game as well.

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

It was impressive at the time but its aged badly. I thought they way overused/overcooked spectacular maps and the low res textures and normal maps didn't help. Character models were quite low poly too.

In the same year (2004) Half Life 2 released and tbh it still looks quite serviceable today.

Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

Thats true, the shadows were state of the art back than. Still looks great today.

Azzanation said:
Pemalite said:

Thats true, the shadows were state of the art back than. Still looks great today.

The monitors/displays stood out for me. Fully operational, real screens instead of just a texture.
The flashlight was also really well done, although people just complained you couldn't attach it to the gun.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:

The monitors/displays stood out for me. Fully operational, real screens instead of just a texture.
The flashlight was also really well done, although people just complained you couldn't attach it to the gun.

The Flashlight was very well implemented, looked great for the time and it made the game actually look dark. However unfortunately swapping the Flashlight to Gun to Gun to Flashlight ruined the flow of the game. Though i never complained back on release, i complained when revisiting it, thinking to myself that why not just have a attachment to the gun or helmet, after all it was the future and didn't make much sense that hand held torches would be the only source of light for a future marine. Anyway i am just rambling.

KratosLives said:

The post is graphically ahead of its time, not what was most technical. You could have a game with a real life rendered object and it would be boring to look at and no one would think twice about it. Graphically, we are talking overall visual pleasing taking into consideration tech and artistic design.  The screenshot of crysis put up was boring, heaving use depth of field , blurred backgrounds and the same greenery. Uncharted will always look better due to the variety of assets and little details used, and the range of colors which made it feel more alive and dynamic. Also what they achieved on the ps3 for that game is more staggering considering the specs they could work with.

They are games which were on the technical cutting edge, which meant graphically they were ahead of their time as other games took time to catch up.

Your argument is based entirely on art and personal taste, not the technical merits... In that case I could assert that Super Mario World on the SNES is superior to Uncharted.

The Playstation 3 was constantly "talked up" due to the "power of the cell". It still couldn't beat a PC however.

hinch said:
Pemalite said:

It was impressive at the time but its aged badly. I thought they way overused/overcooked spectacular maps and the low res textures and normal maps didn't help. Character models were quite low poly too.

In the same year (2004) Half Life 2 released and tbh it still looks quite serviceable today.

The modelling does have a plastic-like presentation to it, but having so many stencil shadows back on a Geforce FX/Radeon 9700 was pretty impressive back in the day... And I would argue that those stencil shadows have held up pretty well considering all the other effects games used back then like... Bloom. Ugh.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm going to toss in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

It's a game that kinda looked "behind the times" when compared to Donkey Kong Country. Fast forward a couple of years and we really appreciated what they were doing. The SFX chip was doing so many things that we took for granted. Even the GBA couldn't accurately replicate some of the things this game had going on--and that was seven years later!

Pemalite said:
hinch said:

The modelling does have a plastic-like presentation to it, but having so many stencil shadows back on a Geforce FX/Radeon 9700 was pretty impressive back in the day... And I would argue that those stencil shadows have held up pretty well considering all the other effects games used back then like... Bloom. Ugh.

Yeah the bloom era lol. Feels like we're heading that way with raytracing. Where almost every game which has RT reflections HAS to have super reflective puddles in them to show off the tech. Once devs figure it out and use it subtly and more realistically, its going to enhance game experience quite a bit for visuals for future games.

Last edited by hinch - on 08 October 2020

Wind Waker.