By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think of France in terms of video games?

Ubisoft ? 

Around the Network

Ubisoft was better in the 6th and 7th gen. Published and made some genuinely great games. Now they are just any other AAA scum developer/publisher. Mistreat people. Ruin their own games with MTX bullshit. There is a good game in Odyssey but they fucking ruin it with the insane grind to get anyway. They want people to buy boosters. I like it better when they published Grandia II on Dreamcast or No More Heroes on Wii or made Rayman 2 or Assassin's Creed II. They were good then. Now, not so much.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ubisoft is quickly becoming the worst AAA publisher in the industry, easily rivaling the likes of EA and Activision Blizzard at this point. The stories of employee abuse, both physical and mental, microtransactions, constant lying, pathetic responses to the various accusations, and a myriad of other issues have made them lose any respect I ever had for the company.

As far as video game development in France as a whole, it's generally comparable to most other western countries. There are good developers and bad ones, just as there are in any other country.

I love Benoit Sokal, or rather used to, for Siberia. The 3rd one lost the magic though. He's Belgian but works for Microids which is based in Paris.
Remember me was very memorable as well, made by Don't Nod Entertainment.
And ofcourse Quantic Dream, Heavy rain etc.

So it seems France is more into narrative games, or at least those are the more popular ones coming out of France.

I like Ubisoft. They're the only one of the big publishers that is constantly trying new IPs, new ideas. The others just crank out the same stuff over and over again.

Around the Network

Ubisoft
Infogrames
Asterix & Obelix
Omelette au fromage

I don't think of them

Rayman Origins and Legends are better platformers than the New Super Mario Bros games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Ubisoft
Tatou
Microïds
Infogrames
Lankhor

Several firsts in technical achievements in gaming, like first synthesized speech in a videogame with Le Manoir De Mortevielle (known in english as Mortville Manor), first 3D Jump&Run with Alpha Waves...

Experimental RPGs (those made in the 80's are very special and unique, just ask the CRPG Addict)

And a metric Megaton of gaming-related magazines: https://www.abandonware-magazines.org

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 October 2020

Now I think of Asobo. A Plague Tale was such a sleeper hit and they seem to have done great work on Flight Simulator, too.