By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think of France in terms of video games?

TallSilhouette said:
Now I think of Asobo. A Plague Tale was such a sleeper hit and they seem to have done great work on Flight Simulator, too.

Wait, Asobo is French and they didn't include Notre Dame in the game?

I'll be flying by Bordeaux soon, looked up their address, will visit :)

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Ubisoft was better in the 6th and 7th gen. Published and made some genuinely great games. Now they are just any other AAA scum developer/publisher. Mistreat people. Ruin their own games with MTX bullshit. There is a good game in Odyssey but they fucking ruin it with the insane grind to get anyway. They want people to buy boosters. I like it better when they published Grandia II on Dreamcast or No More Heroes on Wii or made Rayman 2 or Assassin's Creed II. They were good then. Now, not so much.

Give Ubisoft some credit, I'm pretty sure they abused their employees already in Gen 6.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That FR produced Ubisoft is notable regardless of one's opinion of Ubisoft as top tier AAA publisher at this point in time.
There also seems to be quite a bit of smaller studios doing good work, and I think Bandai also has base in Lyon.
Ubisoft probably puts them ahead of UK, but outside that UK fairly has stronger overall developer ecoystem.
Probably one of strongest countries over-all after US and Japan, and plausibly stronger than Japan on per capita basis.
I personally see potential for further growth, Sony is really too over-invested in UK and with Brexit they should consider
moving EU headquarters to EU to facilitate influence in regulatory issues, and setting up major studio would also help that.
Paris and Lyon seem the major FR hubs so far, but Marseille may be good as major city close to lots of IT/tech (incl Lyon)?

EDIT: I think I probably ignored Korea and China in above assessment, just because they don't impact Western market as much.
Whether or not that changes, probably fair to say their importance in gaming will only increase, and FR probably won't keep up.
I still think FR has room to grow important devs beyond Ubisoft (or including Ubi also), enough to maintain/increase relevance in "West".
IT is rather international and if there is dynamism in FR gaming, alot of EU talent could prefer to work there instead of Brexit UK.
Also how other big AAA houses choose to engage could be important, and it seems a strong location for any such projects.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 06 October 2020

I'm gonna go back a little and mention Adeline Software, who made the fantastic Little Big Adventure games on PC in the mid 90s.

Yeah. Ubisoft.

Around the Network

Ubisoft is one of the largest publishers in the business, so I do think of them. And if we're looking at revenue, France is the seventh-highest video game market in the world. https://knoema.com/infographics/tqldbq/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues
Germany and the United Kingdom are the only European nations with bigger video game markets.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima