By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What does Nintendo need to do to reach 150M Switches sold?

Pay whatever Take Two/Rockstar asks for porting Grand Theft Auto V to the Switch.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG 2...get it done! Okay that last one is just wishful thinking.

I'm sure Nintendo could work out a deal with square for then to make a new game in the Chrono series if they really wanted to. Maybe we finally would get that third game (Chrono Break) that was cancelled.

Releasing some actual games would help.

That's essentially DS levels, which isn't unreasonable given the Switch is more handheld than home console.

I would say first and foremost a stronger lineup of exclusive (new) first and second party games. And ideally some of these should be big mass-market hit type games like Warioware, Nintendogs, more Mario Kart, Wii Sports-type game, maybe another fitness game.

New Model - a "pro edition" as well as more variants on the original model (maybe bundle them with games and make them a bit cheaper, more internal storage, etc)

Might go without saying but - at least a couple of price drops

Just continue to support it in some fashion so that it has a 7-8 year lifespan. That's not to say they can't crank out the next gen hardware but they should still be releasing games for it well into 2024 and even perhaps 2025.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

KingJames said:
Took PS2 and DS about 9-10 years to reach 150m. Switch will have to last just as long to do the same. If "Switch Pro" extends the lifecycle instead of being a complete next gen console, its a done deal.

Actually the DS did it in around 7 years, it's momentum was insane.

And so far the Switch sales curve has looked more similair to the DS than any other console. It is behind launch-aligned and the gap will almost certainly grow in the next 2 years but I don't think the Switch will fall too far behind, so it doesn't the legs of the PS2 to reach 150 mil.

To answer the thread question: A hardware revision, a price cut and no replacement before 2024. And ofc they need to keep on bringing the games until then.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
wohufana said:
Leynos said:

Make it $99 starting now. How DS and PS2 got there.

It can never be. $99 a decade ago is not the same $99 in 2020s, much more in 2024, after 7 years in the market.

Pretty sure Switch (non lite) can go 149$ and still be sold at profit.
They might be able to get the lite version of the Switch down to 99$.

I think people overestimate how much the switch costs to make.
Nintendo are just makeing a fortune on sales with these.

Sell 84.697.123 more Switches.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

mZuzek said:
Verter said:
Sell 84.697.123 more Switches.

I don't think they're gonna get too far as a company if they use VGC data.

Well, they can try at least and see what happens.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

The thing that most makes me feel this is unlikely is that I can see Nintendo being super stubborn on pricing and never making the Switch as cheap as it needs to be to outsell PS2 and DS.

The problem with the push for that high of a number is I suspect it means they will have too many software teams working on and releasing Switch games late in it's lifespan, meaning they will not launch the Switch successor with enough games to make it have a healthy launch. And they are already going to be struggling with next gen. They like to make a device, then make the next one similar in graphics. GameCube to Wii was hardly different visually. Wii U was a massive jump, then Switch was hardly better visually. That means Switch 2 should be another massive jump and their dev teams are going to have to get used to it. They admitted how much of a struggle HD was to get used to on Wii U, which is why that system had few games compared to Switch (by that time they worked out the kinks).