By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Put Themselves Back In The Game!

chakkra said:

I think at this point you guys should come to terms with the fact that there is absolutely nothing you could say to Runa216. His disappointment with Xbox is just way too deep for any of us.

He should come to terms that hes not giving Xbox a fair shake and rather than stating the same mantra over and over he should focus on what he likes. He has said several times that Xbox is a sinking ship, just let the bitch sink then. Seeing someone like him try to analyze other fanboys in the past months have been vomit inducing. Just move on 

Around the Network

if they ever deliver I’ll change my tune!

well uh except for their great 2020 that doesn’t count for reasons!!!

We won’t be holding our breath, friend.

Runa216 said:
chakkra said:

I think at this point you guys should come to terms with the fact that there is absolutely nothing you could say to Runa216. His disappointment with Xbox is just way too deep for any of us.

Anything you guys can say? Naw. You have absolutely no bearing on what Microsoft does in the next 5-8 years. I've been presented with all the evidence, exposed to 10 years of experience, and have not been impressed with anything they've done outside of Ori and Cuphead for the past 10 years (Both of which are on Switch and Cuphead is on PS4). The only thing that'll change my mind is if Microsoft actually fulfills the potential they've been promising for the last decade and entirely too many of you are absolutely certain of.

I gave them a chance. I got an Xbox, barely used it. I got an Xbox 360, bought more games for it than PS2, but it broke within 2 years and I had to get it replaced. Bought an Xbox One within a year of launch and used it less for gaming than I did updating the firmware. They've done nothing in the past 20 years to impress me, and at their absolute best they were unable to outdo Sony at their worst in terms of console sales. They HAD some great franchises, but they seem incapable of making new ones and the ones they do have have been going downhill. 

They lack in quality titles.

They lack in quantity or frequency of release.

They lack in diversity (All their stuff is heavily and exclusively USA/western focused)

They focus on things I don't give a shit about (GamePass and Backwards compatibility)

And the Xbox has literally no exclusives. 

My issue isn't so much with Microsoft as a whole, but Xbox. I have 0 reasons to get an Xbox. I have very few reasons to get Gamepass, and the games Microsoft does own are so homogenized in terms of look and feel that I just don't see myself getting anything that isn't Bethesda-developed. Of all their franchises, the only things I care about are Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I like new Doom but I don't care about it. And unlike Sony, they can't seem to make new IPs work or get the sort of fame that stuff like Horizon or Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima. They can't make new franchises, they can barely keep the franchises they have performing at a high level, and I don't think there's much of anything that some random forumgoer can tell me that'll make me completely change my values. 

Until Microsoft actually delivers on those promises - something they historically have not really done a great job doing - I will continue to be soured on the brand. And no, releasing Grounded is not enough. The list people have been giving about all the great games on the platform have me scratching my head, thinking 'wait, that actually came out?' only to google it and find that most people didn't give a shit. 

They have nothing. Not yet. I will gladly change my stance if new evidence is presented, but until that happens they're useless and completely not to my tastes. I'm not buying a console for like 5 games when I can get them all on PC. 

Why don't you just be honest for once and admit that this is all it's really about instead of trying to make a point about some sort of objectivity about the Xbox library because whenever you do, you just showcase your ignorance. Not everything has to be made for you, just like I don't sit here or anywhere else on VGC talking about how much I don't give a shit about Sony's 1st party lineup because nothing interests me. It would at least be a more respectable and understandable take than you trying to make some sort of definitive claim about Microsoft's positioning by telling half-truths either pretending to not know half of the games releasing for it or just plain not knowing.

Runa216 said:
chakkra said:

Anything you guys can say? Naw. You have absolutely no bearing on what Microsoft does in the next 5-8 years. I've been presented with all the evidence, exposed to 10 years of experience, and have not been impressed with anything they've done outside of Ori and Cuphead for the past 10 years (Both of which are on Switch and Cuphead is on PS4). The only thing that'll change my mind is if Microsoft actually fulfills the potential they've been promising for the last decade and entirely too many of you are absolutely certain of.

I gave them a chance. I got an Xbox, barely used it. I got an Xbox 360, bought more games for it than PS2, but it broke within 2 years and I had to get it replaced. Bought an Xbox One within a year of launch and used it less for gaming than I did updating the firmware. They've done nothing in the past 20 years to impress me, and at their absolute best they were unable to outdo Sony at their worst in terms of console sales. They HAD some great franchises, but they seem incapable of making new ones and the ones they do have have been going downhill. 

They lack in quality titles.

They lack in quantity or frequency of release.

They lack in diversity (All their stuff is heavily and exclusively USA/western focused)

They focus on things I don't give a shit about (GamePass and Backwards compatibility)

And the Xbox has literally no exclusives. 

My issue isn't so much with Microsoft as a whole, but Xbox. I have 0 reasons to get an Xbox. I have very few reasons to get Gamepass, and the games Microsoft does own are so homogenized in terms of look and feel that I just don't see myself getting anything that isn't Bethesda-developed. Of all their franchises, the only things I care about are Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I like new Doom but I don't care about it. And unlike Sony, they can't seem to make new IPs work or get the sort of fame that stuff like Horizon or Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima. They can't make new franchises, they can barely keep the franchises they have performing at a high level, and I don't think there's much of anything that some random forumgoer can tell me that'll make me completely change my values. 

Until Microsoft actually delivers on those promises - something they historically have not really done a great job doing - I will continue to be soured on the brand. And no, releasing Grounded is not enough. The list people have been giving about all the great games on the platform have me scratching my head, thinking 'wait, that actually came out?' only to google it and find that most people didn't give a shit. 

They have nothing. Not yet. I will gladly change my stance if new evidence is presented, but until that happens they're useless and completely not to my tastes. I'm not buying a console for like 5 games when I can get them all on PC. 

Man... we get it. You have repeated that same message dozens of times. But hey, if expressing your disappointment with Xbox is somewhat cathartic for you, then by all means keep on.

Wait he said he doesn’t game on PC but he is still saying it has no exclusives, make it make sense please. Even if you can get your games on PC, thank MS for saving you money. Do you not see all their studios? I don’t understand how you can still harp on quantity and quality... let alone diversity.

Around the Network

Runa, nobody cares about your life story with Xbox and your nonsensible rambling about it. If you're so unhappy with Xbox please don't buy one.

Runa216 said:
chakkra said:

They lack in quality titles. 9/10 1st party games in 2020 are rated high

They lack in quantity or frequency of release. 10 1st party games in 2020. At least do your homework. 

They lack in diversity (All their stuff is heavily and exclusively USA/western focused) says the guy who only plays “single player story driven 3rd person action adventure” ;)

They focus on things I don't give a shit about (GamePass and Backwards compatibility) Fair enough but I wouldn’t dismiss respecting gaming history and saving money with day 1 first party games. 

And the Xbox has literally no exclusives. Aside from multiplat deals MS is honouring they are exclusively NOT on PlayStation. We all know that’s all that matters.

My issue isn't so much with Microsoft as a whole, but Xbox. I have 0 reasons to get an Xbox. I have very few reasons to get Gamepass, and the games does own are so homogenized in terms of look and feel that I just don't see myself getting anything that isn't Bethesda-developed. Of all their franchises, the only things I care about are Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I like new Doom but I don't care about it. And unlike Sony, they can't seem to make new IPs work or get the sort of fame that stuff like Horizon or Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima. They can't make new franchises, they can barely keep the franchises they have performing at a high level, and I don't think there's much of anything that some random forumgoer can tell me that'll make me completely change my values. 

“games does own are so homogenized in terms of look and feel” Because Ori, Minecraft Dungeons, Flight SIM, Wasteland 3 all look and feel the same. Got it.

Otherwise...yawn. You just say the same tired 2 tiered approach.

1. MS hurt me I won’t trust them again. 
2. Anything tangible they are doing and the billions they are spending mean nothing to me and I will continue to ignore and change the subject. 

(like how releasing 10 1st party games in one year with critical acclaim doesn’t impress you because they aren’t popular enough)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

-------------> * The Point

---> You

Holy shit, dude, that wasn't even remotely the point I was trying to get across. I mean, I am sitting here thinking of ways to elaborate further but nope, my first post really was sufficient enough so I'll just restate the same thing: There's more in common with Halo and Gears than there is with any two Sony franchises/IPs. I'm not saying those games aren't diverse or unique enough to be their own games - they are - and I'm not saying Microsoft has absolutely no variety, I'm saying and have been saying all day that Sony has more diversity in their lineup of 'Third-person, single-player, action-adventure games' than your reductive reasoning would indicate. 

Stop being intentionally obtuse. Not everything is binary, you know. This isn't an argument of 'Sony has diversity and Microsoft doesn't', it's that 'sony has MORE diversity than Microsoft, but the only way to claim otherwise is to comically misrepresent their games by reducing them all to the same wide blanket genre'. 

Nuance, people. Context. This is why arguing is so frustrating. Just bad logic and shitty fallacies EVERYWHERE. 

Well, by now you've made your point, so I guess if people don't get it then we have a breakdown in communication. Things are getting testy on both sides, and things aren't really progressing, so it's probably best to agree to disagree and move on.

Oy. This was clearly not going anywhere when I posted this 4 days ago and it still hasn't gone anywhere. 

Both sides have said their piece, and it doesn't seem like anything's changing. So time to move on. If Runa, Sales, or anyone else involved in this conversation want to continue, PMs. Just to be clear, probably going to start thread banning otherwise.

More on topic, (maybe) since people brought up Wasteland, I had a quick question about it. I really enjoyed Mario/Rabbids, and started playing Wasteland 3. But... I have mixed feelings. The post apocalypse vibe and humans going crazy and murdering each other is generally not what I like in a game. Which I guess is why I liked Mario/Rabbids more colorful approach to tactical shooting. Killing humans (at least when it's portrayed realistically) is generally a turn off to me in games.

So... is the gameplay worth it on its own if I'm not going to get fully into the story? Am I going to be constantly watching my party die gruesome deaths? Am I better off with something like X-Com?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 05 October 2020

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe I'm saying the same thing over and over again because it's true and a realistic representation of the situation? If Xbox was doing great, it wouldn't be losing to the PS4 and Switch like 5:1 and 10:1 on a weekly basis. I'm part of the majority here, I'm just also the only one talking about it.

And I've been very clear before that my stance on the matter is equally personal (I cannot stand, like, anything they have to offer and think it's all bland and generic tripe) as well as observational (The sales numbers, the release schedule, the attach rate, the game reviews, etc). Y'all seem to think my personal preferences are painting my view of Microsoft but it's really not. Not nearly as much as you think it is. Sure, I'm harsh on them, but I'm just as harsh on Sony or Nintendo. I dislike just as many games on Switch/PS4 as I do on Xbox One (I hate Gran Turismo and Splatoon as much as I hate Halo and Forza), it just so happens to be that even if you cut off 12 major games from each platform, Nintendo still has 12 outstanding games, Sony has like 40 games, and Xbox has nothing. It just so happens to be that pretty much everything in Xbox's library falls into that 'bland, boring, generic tripe' that I don't like.

Above all else I just don't understand how anyone could be so devout to Microsoft after having so little impact and releasing so few games for so long. Like, If you like Halo, that's fine. I happen to think Ratchet & Clank is one of the most fun franchises ever and will fight anyone who says otherwise to the grave...but like, Microsoft has released so few high-quality exclusives this generation despite constantly promising output. I do not understand for the life of me how anyone could paint me as the bad guy for being heavily skeptical of their constant promises that are broken and hardly ever delivered upon.

I also made it clear over the course of a 5-10 page stretch in another thread that...yeah, this whole Microsoft buying Zenimax/Bethesda annoys the fuck out of me. Skyrim is one of my all-time favourite games and the idea of it being on a console I don't have any intention of buying sucks. Furthermore, all my prior arguments about how poorly Microsoft has handled the last ten years makes me VERY worried about the quality and output of the few games they DO make just not being up to par. They have a history of buying companies and doing nothing with them or taking the companies in directions far removed from what made them famous. I'm worried the same thing will happen, and I'm grumpy because if I wanna play Elder Scrolls VI, I either gotta update my computer (A computer I just updated this summer) or get an Xbox for one game, something I will not do.

But whatever. You guys keep getting mad at me for being a realist. Call me cynical, treat me as the bad guy. sure, whatever. Not my fault you can't handle criticism. I've repeated myself because I feel the need to explain my very reasonable, rational position as something NOT just coming from a place of hate or bias but from analysis of existing data. but sure, anything you don't like is some deep-rooted campaign of hate.

~Thread/Topic Banned - Ryuu96

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 October 2020

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:

Well, by now you've made your point, so I guess if people don't get it then we have a breakdown in communication. Things are getting testy on both sides, and things aren't really progressing, so it's probably best to agree to disagree and move on.

Oy. This was clearly not going anywhere when I posted this 4 days ago and it still hasn't gone anywhere. 

Both sides have said their piece, and it doesn't seem like anything's changing. So time to move on. If Runa, Sales, or anyone else involved in this conversation want to continue, PMs. Just to be clear, probably going to start thread banning otherwise.

More on topic, (maybe) since people brought up Wasteland, I had a quick question about it. I really enjoyed Mario/Rabbids, and started playing Wasteland 3. But... I have mixed feelings. The post apocalypse vibe and humans going crazy and murdering each other is generally not what I like in a game. Which I guess is why I liked Mario/Rabbids more colorful approach to tactical shooting. Killing humans (at least when it's portrayed realistically) is generally a turn off to me in games.

So... is the gameplay worth it on its own if I'm not going to get fully into the story? Am I going to be constantly watching my party die gruesome deaths? Am I better off with something like X-Com?

This post wasn't here when I started my post. I'll leave it be. I really haven't had anything new to say for a few days, anyway. I just keep seeing the same cyclical, poorly-thought-out arguments. Bah, sorry. I'm out unless new information is brought to the table. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android